My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Freeview changes autotune

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Sampson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Although not available any more the Tvonics DTR-HD500 PVR could be set to update channels automatically, I have one of these and it works very well and it also retains the schedule.

The Humax HDR-FOX T2 with the custom firmware retains the schedule after a retune. It has always been a mystery to me why Humax didn't implement the feature.

| Mon 21 May 2018 19:41:36 #11 |
  2. davidrew

davidrew

special member

I would just to be fully clear about Smart Retune and the existing Schedule. My interpretation of all the posts/FAQ I have read is that on the 5000T if the frequency changes for the MUX the Smart Retune will not preserve the schedule for the associated channels.

I am pretty new to Freeview and as the Oxford transmitter is changing everything except frequency 31 (COM6) and 55 (COM7) on Wednesday morning so I am wondering if a full retune from scratch may be the best bet? It will be a pain as I have some programmes that are not on weekly, like the BTCC on ITV4, which I will not be able to set-up again for a while. I am taking photos of the existing schedule today on a tablet so I hopefully don't miss anything.

Thanks for any advice

| Mon 21 May 2018 23:11:13 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 9 hours ago  » 
    I would just to be fully clear about Smart Retune and the existing Schedule. My interpretation of all the posts/FAQ I have read is that on the 5000T if the frequency changes for the MUX the Smart Retune will not preserve the schedule for the associated channels.
    I am pretty new to Freeview and as the Oxford transmitter is changing everything except frequency 31 (COM6) and 55 (COM7) on Wednesday morning so I am wondering if a full retune from scratch may be the best bet? It will be a pain as I have some programmes that are not on weekly, like the BTCC on ITV4, which I will not be able to set-up again for a while. I am taking photos of the existing schedule today on a tablet so I hopefully don't miss anything.
    Thanks for any advice

Not 100% sure but I guess the recordings are tied to the Service Identifier (SID) and not the mux frequency. So provided the SID remains the same it should not matter. You can set any recordings that are not on in the next 7 days manually.

| Tue 22 May 2018 8:51:31 #13 |
  4. davidrew

davidrew

special member

I tried the Smart Retune this morning and it worked flawlessly. Nothing disappeared from the schedule and so far everything has recorded fine.

The box did prompt for another retune this evening due to a 'Network Change' so I did do another smart retune to be on the safe side. I didn't realise it was recording at the time but the recording carried on and nothing was lost. Very impressive.

My only other thought was what would happen if a major retune event happened whilst you were away on holiday? An option to do an automatic smart retune based in the Network Change message would seem sensible or an option in the remote phone app to retune.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated and saved me a load of time.

| Wed 23 May 2018 22:11:06 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

davidrew - 13 hours ago  » 
    The box did prompt for another retune this evening due to a 'Network Change' so I did do another smart retune to be on the safe side.

I am struggling to reconcile that observation with Barry's comment in post 8 that the box won't prompt for a retune. It sounds as though in the right circumstances it will prompt?

| Thu 24 May 2018 11:34:21 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

The box did prompt for another retune this evening due to a 'Network Change' so I did do another smart retune to be on the safe side.

I am struggling to reconcile that observation with Barry's comment in post 8 that the box won't prompt for a retune. It sounds as though in the right circumstances it will prompt?

In most instances, the 5000T handbook uses the word "Network" to refer to the internet connection, not the DTT tuning. Could there be a misunderstanding here?

| Thu 24 May 2018 13:41:21 #16 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

Poor post by me.

I should have said I have not seen a prompt to date...

| Thu 24 May 2018 14:22:37 #17 |
  8. davidrew

davidrew

special member

I agree a prompt box saying 'Network Change' is misleading and could be better saying somthing like 'TV Channels Have Been Changed'. I also immediately thought LAN not TV Channels to start with. I knew the LAN had not changed as it is hardwired and has a pre-allocated IP address via DHCP.

When I pressed OK to carry on it offered the retune options screen.

I still think an automatic option to smart retune in the background would be feasible, the box warns of impending changes and knows its happened after so I can't see why not. I just feel sorry for those who are away around Oxford at the moment and their 5000T will have no, or very few, recordings after the retune when they return.

| Thu 24 May 2018 14:45:20 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

I have seen the network prompt once myself when Crystal Palace had some changes recently. I can’t remember if I accepted it there and then, but it definitely was related to a retune as my TV has a similar prompt.

I would guess it’s only when the broadcaster changes something in the network info table.

As a compromise, my TV still adds channels and marks others if it detects they’re no longer broadcasting, without doing a retune. Now that would be useful on the box. It isn’t a new TV, actually a newer lesser brand does nothing of the sort.

| Thu 24 May 2018 18:36:33 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.