My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Freeview retunes early 2018

(61 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

First thing to do is enter your post code and house number and check the detailed option here

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker.

Green entries show good reception is anticipated.

Assuming you get Winter Hill as the preferred transmitter BBC 4 HD is on the right column COM 8 UHF Carrier Channel 31.

Manual tune is normally used to avoid receiving from more than 1 transmitter, it can also be used to check reception of a specific mux.

If you bring up manual tune select Channel 31 and DVB-T2. The signal strength and quality is shown at the bottom of the screen.

| Sun 11 Mar 2018 18:26:30 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

If you go on this winter hill website there are only certain bands its broacasting on

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Winter_Hill

Your installation menu will show you the handful of bands you receive and you just manually retune on each one making sure that DVB T2 is selected for HD broadcasts.

It is a pain though and this is the first time in two years I have a full channel list.

An auto retune can pick up other transmitters on lower signal strengths. I see the lowest band number for me is 31 then 37 then mainly in the fifties

| Mon 12 Mar 2018 7:30:35 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Minstrel SE - 50 minutes ago  » 
    If you go on this winter hill website there are only certain bands its broacasting on
    https:// ukfree tv/transmitters/tv/Winter_Hill

UKFree is an independent site and is frequently incorrect. That page is currently incorrect and incomplete. On past performance you may have to wait for 3 years until the site is corrected or updated.
    Far easier to just go to a site closer to the source of the information instead of using incorrect information even if it is easy to read.
    I.e. the site that Graham has posted in the previous post.
    For winter hill this link is the same site but with the winter hill postcode pre-added.
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/BL6+6SL/NA/0/NA
    Scroll down to the winter hill section and the current UHF channel numbers are those with a grey background on the first row (currently dated 7 Mar 18).

| Mon 12 Mar 2018 8:29:34 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes I agree but I found it well laid out in a simplistic way I like for general information. Yes it looks as though it takes ages to get updated and its far from the last word in detail

To be fair the TV viewer shouldnt have to be going through all this.

The punter wants to know that one aerial will work and that Im going to get the important channels.

| Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:05:13 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Icebun

Thanks very much all the responses, all very helpful.

I am slowly getting to understand when a manual retune has the advantage over auto at times.

Looks like after the recent re-tune, the next event will not be until 2020.

What a relief (if I have read it right).

| Mon 12 Mar 2018 21:39:22 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

A quick update on my situation. Our aerial installer has now replaced the group 'A' aerial with a new Log Periodic and even tried boosting the signal which put the other frequencies over spec.

However, it hasn't made one tat worth of difference - still unable to get COM7 & COM8. The installer tells me he has fitted eight aerials in our area since the re-tune last week and has had no success at any of the other properties either.

Using his meters he says on paper we should be able to get the channels although power is down at around 40% and yet we can't.

Nothing we can do until/or unless the transmitter power is boosted.

| Tue 13 Mar 2018 11:53:48 #56 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    A quick update on my situation. Our aerial installer has now replaced the group 'A' aerial with a new Log Periodic and even tried boosting the signal which put the other frequencies over spec.
    However, it hasn't made one tat worth of difference - still unable to get COM7 & COM8. The installer tells me he has fitted eight aerials in our area since the re-tune last week and has had no success at any of the other properties either.
    Using his meters he says on paper we should be able to get the channels although power is down at around 40% and yet we can't.

What does the DTG reception predictor (detailed view) say about COM 7/8 at your postcode and house number ? It may be co-channel interference especially if Fenton and Sutton Coldfield are both roughly in the same direction.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

| Tue 13 Mar 2018 13:32:27 #57 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

What does the DTG reception predictor (detailed view) say about COM 7/8 at your postcode and house number ? It may be co-channel interference especially if Fenton and Sutton Coldfield are both roughly in the same direction.
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

All channels are green solid circles on the predictor Graham, though regarding the 19 channels that have been moved to COM7 & 8 there is an icon against each one indicating we may need a 'wideband aerial' in some instances.

Regarding any cross-channel interference. The installer tried two different aerials and pointed one to SC the other to Fenton - made no difference. He also fitted a temporary attenuator and a temporary booster - again no difference.

The installers have said they along with other colleagues from different firms have been emailing Digital UK about this issue but as yet they are not getting any feedback. One of the chaps told me they are having similar issues off Winter Hill.

In fairness they spent almost 2 hours on the job so can't complain at their thoroughness. The Log Periodic really should have done the trick but sadly hasn't.

| Tue 13 Mar 2018 15:50:12 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Just for the avoidance of doubt - this is what has been fitted today.

Attachments

1. Log_36_Periodic.jpg (1.9 KB, 2 downloads) 6 years old
    | Tue 13 Mar 2018 16:50:01 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

Have you checked with the Wolfbane predictor?

http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

| Sat 17 Mar 2018 12:45:02 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.