My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Freeview retunes early 2018

(61 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Faust - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Our installer says we should be able to get the above with the aerial we have now and if not then he doesn't think a change of aerial will alter anything nor can he recommend one.
    We have an 'A' aerial.

Is the "installer" an aerial installer?
    Or perhaps he dosn't think your aerial is an "A" aerial.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 15:26:14 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Our installer says we should be able to get the above with the aerial we have now and if not then he doesn't think a change of aerial will alter anything nor can he recommend one.
    We have an 'A' aerial.

He's actually a very good installer and been at it for over 30 years. All our area are on A/H aerials. If he was rubbish he would be trying to sell me something not say 'wait and see'. Winter Hill is reporting a lot of similar issues too.

According to the website it's predicted on UHF 55 & 56 we should be on 100 and fully in the 'green'.

This is what I currently have 21,22,24,25,27 and 28. The fast majority of those are reporting signal strength and quality between 90 and 100.

I note that Stoke on Trent (Fenton transmitter) which isn't that far away from us are also reporting zilch on UHF 55 & 56 and looking at their prediction it's the same as mine. Someone has cocked up.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 17:07:24 #42 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 38 minutes ago  » 

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 7 minutes ago  » 
    We have an 'A' aerial.

He's actually a very good installer and been at it for over 30 years. All our area are on A/H aerials. If he was rubbish he would be trying to sell me something not say 'wait and see'. Winter Hill is reporting a lot of similar issues too.
    According to the website it's predicted on UHF 55 & 56 we should be on 100 and fully in the 'green'.
    This is what I currently have 21,22,24,25,27 and 28. The fast majority of those are reporting signal strength and quality between 90 and 100.
    I note that Stoke on Trent (Fenton transmitter) which isn't that far away from us are also reporting zilch on UHF 55 & 56 and looking at their prediction it's the same as mine. Someone has cocked up.

If he is installing A group aerials on Sutton Coldfield he cannot be a good installer.

Pre-todays change Sutton Coldfield was B,K now B,E. It's never been a A group like say Crystal Palace.

Look at the actual test curves for a group A it's totally unsuitable.

Presumably you are looking at the DTG site. Look at the aerial group.

Lark Stoke is A or K.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 17:52:34 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 33 minutes ago  » 
    If he is installing A group aerials on Sutton Coldfield he cannot be a good installer.
    Pre-todays change Sutton Coldfield was B,K now B,E. It's never been a A group like say Crystal Palace.
    Lark Stoke is A or K.

Faust is currently (16:07) receiving from Fenton which for the non-interim multiplexes is group 'A'.

It too now has COM7 & COM8 on 55 & 56.
    Perhaps the installer did indeed say 'should' still be receiving COM7 and COM8 but was not referring to aerial technology but the situation in an ideal world.

Faust,

Faust - 7 minutes ago »
    he doesn't think a change of aerial will alter anything nor can he recommend one.
    We have an 'A' aerial.

could well be the situation but

Faust - 7 minutes ago »
    Our installer says we should be able to get the above with the aerial we have now
    We have an 'A' aerial.

is just plain wrong.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 18:37:51 #44 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Luke - 36 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 33 minutes ago  » 
    Lark Stoke is A or K.

Faust is currently (16:07) receiving from Fenton which for the non-interim multiplexes is group 'A'.
    It too now has COM7 & COM8 on 55 & 56.
    Perhaps the installer did indeed say 'should' still be receiving COM7 and COM8 but was not referring to aerial technology but the situation in an ideal world.
    Faust,

Faust - 7 minutes ago »
    he doesn't think a change of aerial will alter anything nor can he recommend one.
    We have an 'A' aerial.

could well be the situation but

Faust - 7 minutes ago »
    Our installer says we should be able to get the above with the aerial we have now
    We have an 'A' aerial.

is just plain wrong.

He said

According to transmitter info on Sutton Coldfield there are no current issues and we should be able to receive all muxes.

And posted reported similar issues, on Fenton, which I guess are due to the same out of group issues.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 19:16:10 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Installer is coming Friday to try a new/different aerial so fingers crossed.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 23:34:08 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Well I finally seem to have all the channels and this is the first time I got what was on Com 8. Channel 37 has suddenly appeared so something has been going on at winter hill because loads of people have complained in the recent past

190 channels I get including radio I think. I immediately start deleting most of them so I have a guide I want to see.

I delete them down to about 60 channels including five radio stations. Some of those are SD duplicates in case HD goes down.

Im sorry but all the channels of garbage and the retunes are a bit of a national disgrace. I actually long for the days when we only had three of four channels

| Sat 10 Mar 2018 10:36:08 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

There is certainly a race on between the formats, Freeway and Freeview, to claim "we have the most channels". In fact most are garbage and I immediately edit them out.

| Sat 10 Mar 2018 12:33:30 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 days ago  » 
    He said

Graham, the reason I know that Faust was receiving from Fenton is that Faust stated the frequencies that he is using and that it was those frequencies that he checked their signal strength.
    The frequencies Faust stated were "This is what I currently have 21,22,24,25,27 and 28" with "The fast majority of those are reporting signal strength and quality between 90 and 100".

Those frequencies are for Fenton not Sutton Coldfield.

The installer may have deliberately installed a group A so that the aerial could be high-gain for those Fenton frequencies.

| Sat 10 Mar 2018 21:01:13 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Icebun

Sorry if I am being a bit dim here.

So I have noticed that BBC4 HD for me is now not working (the dreaded "The receiver is not receiving a signal or the signal is too weak" message).

Even after a smart re-tune, it is not broadcasting for me.

Q.
    Should I be using the Manual Channel Search option? If so, can anyone tell me how this works (is this a replacement for the Auto tune) and what the correct settings should be.

Right now it is defaulted to Channel 21 | Frequency 474000 | Transmission DVB-T | Bandwidth 8MHz
    Both Signal and Quality is 0%.

The only useful bit I have worked out is that as I am based in Manchester, I think I am using Winter Hill, if it makes sense to anyone.

| Sun 11 Mar 2018 0:11:12 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.