My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Freeview retunes early 2018

(61 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

So pray tell how would you suggest we watch BBC regional output given the beeb do not transmit regional output on HD. Regional output for most is SD only.

You all make fair points and tenants get messed around the most with these changes. You all know what landlords are like. They are not keen to be paying an aerial servicing bill.

This makes me sound like a telly addict but I just watch the best programmes on the BBC.

HD 1080P televisions are cheap enough now so I dont see the point in too many SD channels.I never asked for all the rubbish they put on there and I fail to see how some tv companies are even making a profit. American companies and +1 +1 channels are ridiculous when there is a bandwidth issue.

Does Channel 4 and Channel 5 need all those offshoots when in my opinion they cant fill one channel with decent programming. Same with ITV...do we really need an ITV 4 for heavens sake? They struggle to fill ITV 1 with anything decent

Personally I dont care about regional output That local Manchester channel is rubbish in my opinion and I dont care about BBC local news.

A lot of my pent up frustration is that Im a hands on person but have no control over the aerial feed. I will be leaving here fairly soon anyway. Even in more pricey rentals the aerial system is often an afterthought.

Best wishes to everyone on the forum

| Wed 24 Jan 2018 1:02:14 #31 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Why is BBC4HD still showing up when I scan COM7? I thought it was being dropped completely after a week of showing the retune now banner?

| Thu 25 Jan 2018 12:05:19 #32 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Why is BBC4HD still showing up when I scan COM7? I thought it was being dropped completely after a week of showing the retune now banner?

Do you mean it's still broadcasting content or just a service ID ?

| Thu 25 Jan 2018 12:11:53 #33 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

As I said, it is broadcasting the retune banner.

| Thu 25 Jan 2018 16:49:15 #34 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 54 seconds ago  » 
    As I said, it is broadcasting the retune banner.

Don't think anyone ever mentioned how long this info (which uses little bandwidth) is going to be transmitted. Only seen when the actual broadcast should have terminated.

| Thu 25 Jan 2018 16:51:44 #35 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Heads Up - Some of you will need to retune today. My transmitter Lark Stoke has already moved the 3 COM mux.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 9:55:52 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Re-tuned my TV's today and I have now lost a number of HD channels e.g. no BBC four HD. According to transmitter info on Sutton Coldfield there are no current issues and we should be able to receive all muxes.

In the past we have been able to receive any transmissions on a pan lid such is the strenght and quality of the signal in our area. I'm not pleased.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 14:21:44 #37 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Com 8 has moved from UHF 35 to UHF 56. Guessing you have a group aerial and 56 is out of band. A change to a log periodic should hopefully get COM 8 back.

Looking at the gain curves - before today SC spanned 33 - 45 so you may have a group A or K.

http://aerialsandtv.com/atvstockaerialtests.html#Agroup

http://aerialsandtv.com/atvstockaerialtests.html#Kgroup

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 14:40:00 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Com 8 has moved from UHF 35 to UHF 56. Guessing you have a group aerial and 56 is out of band. A change to a log periodic should hopefully get COM 8 back.

Just spoken with aerial installer and he's tearing his hair out. His phone hasn't stopped ringing all morning with people complaining they can only get the main five HD channels since the retune. He tells me another installer friend of his who covers winter hill area is having the same issues - loads of people cannot get anything beyond the main five HD channels.

The installer reckons that this could be affecting hundreds of thousands of consumers.

It isn't just UHF 56 Graham as the bloc from UHF 55 missing too i.e. BBC News HD, Al Jazeera HD, 4seven HD and Channel 4+1 HD.

Our installer says we should be able to get the above with the aerial we have now and if not then he doesn't think a change of aerial will alter anything nor can he recommend one. Thinks it's more about power or lack of rather than the aerial.

A quick scan of our other channels shows 10 for quality on just about every channel.

At least I have Freesat to fall back on, but what a cock up.

We have an 'A' aerial.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 15:13:30 #39 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 6 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 10 minutes ago  » 

Just spoken with aerial installer and he's tearing his hair out. His phone hasn't stopped ringing all morning with people complaining they can only get the main five HD channels since the retune. He tells me another installer friend of his who covers winter hill area is having the same issues - loads of people cannot get anything beyond the main five HD channels.
    The installer reckons that this could be affecting hundreds of thousands of consumers.
    It isn't just UHF 56 Graham as the bloc from UHF 55 missing too i.e. BBC News HD, Al Jazeera HD, 4seven HD and Channel 4+1 HD.
    Our installer says we should be able to get the above with the aerial we have now and if not then he doesn't think a change of aerial will alter anything nor can he recommend one. Thinks it's more about power or lack of rather than the aerial.
    A quick scan of our other channels shows 10 for quality on just about every channel.
    At least I have Freesat to fall back on, but what a cock up.
    We have an 'A' aerial.

You are lucky to get COM 2 on UHF 45 using a group A. Look at the gain on a group A at 45 (0 dB). Still reckon a log 36 will work (+9dB at 45). I have a log 36 in my loft 30 mls from the Lark Stoke relay it got com 3 on UHF 47 with no problems before today and same mux today on UHF 48. There's a masthead but that's down to the number of passive splits. I reckon your installer is a bit of a cowboy.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 15:25:01 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.