My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Freeview retunes early 2018

(61 posts)
  1. black knight

black knight

special member

Minstrel SE, it's worth noting that even if you cannot receive BBC4-HD on it's new mux (COM8), you can always watch BBC4 programmes in HD on iPlayer, both live and catch-up.

Granted it's not the ideal solution, (I know iPlayer is 720p rather than 1080i/p) but better than nothing if you really want to watch in HD rather than SD.

| Sun 21 Jan 2018 23:11:04 #21 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

grahamlthompson - 13 hours ago  » 
    http://www.a516digital.com/2018/01/freeview-changes-for-bbc-four-hd-and.html
    Transmission of BBC 4 HD on COM 7 ceased 17th January 2018. Following dual broadcasting from the 11th January 2018. This applies to all UK transmitters with COM7/8.

BBC4 HD is still transmitting here from COM7 on the Oxford transmitter. That is, it is still found on a channel scan even if it may not be transmitting its usual programming. Keeping an eye on this as the dual transmission appears to have been screwing up my old Digitalstream PVR (and reportedly other devices) so I am keeping COM7 off my box and waiting until it fully ceases plus a week before scanning for COM7 again. My BT Youview PVR is handling the dual transmission without problems.

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 10:37:53 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Oh Yes Im confused now. It was on 31 and now its gone. I was confused for a moment thinking it had moved to 31.

So wherever its gone I cant pick up here. If its gone to Com 8 I cant pick up Com 8.

Is there are reason I cant pick up Com 8 as I dont think the aerial has ever picked it up

This is so frustrating

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 21:40:30 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Oh Yes Im confused now. It was on 31 and now its gone. I was confused for a moment thinking it had moved to 31.
    So wherever its gone I cant pick up here. If its gone to Com 8 I cant pick up Com 8.
    Is there are reason I cant pick up Com 8 as I dont think the aerial has ever picked up Com 8.
    This is so frustrating

Start by posting the detailed reception prediction.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

Do you know what type of aerial you have ? Depending on the type of aerial you have the current COM 8 frequency may be right at the limit or even out of group.

See the typical gain curves here

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/gaincurves.html

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 21:53:17 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

The aerial has been up since 2000 and Ive no idea if its ever been upgraded to cope with new demands.

I get zero signal on channel 37 so I can only assume the aerial is not the right type.

Bye Bye BBC 4 HD it was nice knowing you Ive got 100? channels of rubbish and they move one of the channels I do care about

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 22:25:42 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 41 minutes ago  » 
    The aerial has been up since 2000 and Ive no idea if its ever been upgraded to cope with new demands.
    I get zero signal on channel 37 so I can only assume the aerial is not the right type.
    Bye Bye BBC 4 HD it was nice knowing you Ive got 100? channels of rubbish and they move one of the channels I do care about

If you post the information asked for it may be possible to get some ideas. Without this it's pure speculation.

You might get them back when when they move to UHF 56 and 57, without some help from you how would we know ?

You keep asking impossible questions without providing any sort of clue as to reception where you live.

You might even have some sort of filter in your setup that's blanking UHF 37 for instance. You could try connecting your box by a scart cable and removing the HDMI cable to see if that fixes the problem.

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 23:11:59 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Im asking impossible questions because Im mainly venting off. I am supposed to get full coverage in the Macclesfield area.

I wouldnt know a band A aerial from a band K aerial and I dont own the aerial or have access to it so again Im venting off. I may pop my own globe aerial up with my run of cable

To vent off again would you not agree that all this channel moving is beyond acceptable. Im also venting off that if we didnt have so much rubbish on the arqiva and other multiplexes then BBC 4 could be moved somewhere better.

PSB 1: Operated by the BBC in SD carrying BBC TV and radio channels
    PSB 2: Operated by Digital 3&4 in SD and carrying a mix of ITV and Channel 4 channels
    PSB 3: Operated by the BBC in HD and carrying a mix of PSB HD channels
    COM 4: Operated by SDN in SD
    COM 5: Operated by Arqiva in SD
    COM 6: Operated by Arqiva in SD
    COM 7: Operated by Arqiva with mixed SD and HD services
    COM 8: Operated by Arqiva with mixed SD and HD services.

I pay a licence fee and I want to see BBC run multiplexes with solely BBC channels. What I dont need is trash channels. we could free up bandwidth by dumping many of the standard definition channels. I delete them anyway.

Would you not agree it seems to be a mess of operators, too many channels and power games in selling off bands

BBC 4 HD on Com 7 has never missed a beat and now I dont have it...too right Im venting off

Oh and in March Com 8 is supposed to be moving from 37 to 31 so I may get it then. All I know now is channel 37 is not there on my installation list of active channels

| Tue 23 Jan 2018 1:32:14 #27 |
  8. black knight

black knight

special member

I suppose the BBC would argue that you still have access to BBC4 in SD, and that's all they have to legally provide, and as I mentioned above, you can access BBC4 in HD via iPlayer, both for live tv watching and catch-up.

However, I do agree with what you're saying and over the years have been an extremely frustrated Freeview user myself. That's why I invested in Freesat, which gives you all the channels and updates any channel moves or changes automatically.

| Tue 23 Jan 2018 11:23:17 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 9 hours ago  » 
    Im asking impossible questions because Im mainly venting off. I am supposed to get full coverage in the Macclesfield area.
    I wouldnt know a band A aerial from a band K aerial and I dont own the aerial or have access to it so again Im venting off. I may pop my own globe aerial up with my run of cable
    To vent off again would you not agree that all this channel moving is beyond acceptable. Im also venting off that if we didnt have so much rubbish on the arqiva and other multiplexes then BBC 4 could be moved somewhere better.
    PSB 2: Operated by Digital 3&4 in SD and carrying a mix of ITV and Channel 4 channels
    I pay a licence fee and I want to see BBC run multiplexes with solely BBC channels. What I dont need is trash channels. we could free up bandwidth by dumping many of the standard definition channels. I delete them anyway.
    Would you not agree it seems to be a mess of operators, too many channels and power games in selling off bands
    BBC 4 HD on Com 7 has never missed a beat and now I dont have it...too right Im venting off
    Oh and in March Com 8 is supposed to be moving from 37 to 31 so I may get it then. All I know now is channel 37 is not there on my installation list of active channels

The issue is the UK government who are selling of the 700MHz band for mobile comms.

If you have a communal aerial then you are paying for the priviledge.

Guessing at some time in the past a old notch filter has been left in circuit.

You should get your services management company to put it right. Had you imparted this kernel of information a long time ago it would have saved a lot of pointless argument.

Whoever is is responsible for the setup may be entitled to help under the 700MHz clearance arrangements.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/106933/700mhz-clearance-timescale-review.pdf

You might want to contact OFCOM directly.

| Tue 23 Jan 2018 11:24:58 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Minstrel SE - 12 hours ago  » 

So pray tell how would you suggest we watch BBC regional output given the beeb do not transmit regional output on HD. Regional output for most is SD only.

| Tue 23 Jan 2018 13:51:08 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.