My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Froze to blank screen while watching recording

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Olly2

Unit purchased January 2013. Just returned from holiday, unit has recorded while away. Froze after watching for an hour. Left unit unplugged for half hour, switched on ok but after 2 or 3 minutes went blank with a squishing electrical sound, unit still on but unresponsive to remote. Now will switch on but no output. Probably something I will not be able to correct myself so can someone please advise what may be wrong, does it sound like a hard drive problem, who should I approach for a repair and could I save the recordings?
    Thanks in anticipation

| Sun 18 Mar 2018 13:27:25 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

The noise and fault described could be for several reasons, one would be the internal power supply. It could also be the hard disk drive causing the
    "squishing" noise. You could try disconnecting the hard drive cables, and see if the unit then 'boots up'. Whilst in there look at the tops of the capacitors to see if any are bulging, this is a sure sign they have failed.

SAFETY WARNING :- Only attempt this if you feel confident to, and PLEASE only examine the inside of the box with the mains plug removed from the socket.

| Sun 18 Mar 2018 16:51:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Olly2

Thank you for your reply. I did not reply immediately to you but got my local TV/Video repair man to look as you suggested. By this time the unit was completely dead. He could not find anything obvious and commented he cannot get schematics of humax products so could not offer a repair. The only thing I could do quickly, after emailing Humax and getting no reply within their 48 hour promise, was to phone them this morning and it became obvious my only recourse was to buy a refurbished unit which I have done. They were not really interested in telling me how I may get the existing recordings off the hard drive into a format I could use so perhaps someone out there may be able to help? Thanks again for your reply.

| Thu 22 Mar 2018 12:37:50 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SD recordings can be recovered by connecting the drive to a Linux booted computer if the drive is not completely broken. If you install the Custom Firmware it has a Hard Disk check and repair package.

You will finf the CF threads on AV forums.

| Thu 22 Mar 2018 13:37:48 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Olly2

Thanks for your reply, I will try as suggested. Incidentally I have been told by Humax that they probably do not hold spares for what they call older models. I think if Apple told their customers a 5 year old computer could not be repaired there would be uproar...

| Sat 24 Mar 2018 13:17:35 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.