My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FTP and SAMBA servers not working

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Has anyone successfully used either of these? I have tried many times with and without a password set. The FTP server does not respond (using Filezilla as client) and although the SAMBA sever can sometimes be persuaded to show a list of folders nothing happens when I click eg the Recordings folder. In every other respect the box seems to work OK. Wireless connection, correct DNS servers etc. I can also confirm that the DLNA server seems to work albeit rather sluggish. Any ideas please?

| Thu 30 May 2019 8:02:18 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

GrahamRHK - 1 hour ago  » 
    Has anyone successfully used either of these? I have tried many times with and without a password set. The FTP server does not respond (using Filezilla as client) and although the SAMBA sever can sometimes be persuaded to show a list of folders nothing happens when I click eg the Recordings folder. In every other respect the box seems to work OK. Wireless connection, correct DNS servers etc. I can also confirm that the DLNA server seems to work albeit rather sluggish. Any ideas please?

What operating system do you have on your PC.

| Thu 30 May 2019 9:43:44 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

What operating system do you have on your PC.

I much appreciate your interest here - thank you.
    Mac is primary (OSX) but it seems the same with Windows machines. Using Filezilla the FTP client is cross platform.
    OSX has no trouble finding and working with files on my other Mac and Windows machines.

| Thu 30 May 2019 10:50:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

GrahamRHK - 3 hours ago  » 
    Has anyone successfully used either of these?

Yes I have used both of those. FTP worked first time (using Filezilla) with no configuration other than entering the IP address. Getting access to the Samba server working took more time. For me the crucial step (using Windows 10 Pro) was turning on SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support. I did make various other changes prior to that but I think that was the crucial step. FTP will only download encrypted content; the Samba server ( together with something described as the Media Renderer) allows SD content to be downloaded with the encryption removed.

| Thu 30 May 2019 11:41:12 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Thanks for additional advice. Now I am in the state that I have one OSX machine running Filezilla working perfectly. That machine is connected by wire to my router. The newer MacBook (2018) is wireless and won't work!!! So the Humax 5000T seems to be OK. I will need to think on!

| Thu 30 May 2019 14:07:08 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Thanks to all for help. I have concluded it is a networking problem internally. If both HUMAX and my Mac are connected to the same access point all works fine - Samba and FTP. So I think we can close this thread. I think I need to understand why my router internal wireless won't connect through to an external wireless access point on one on its ethernet ports. Unless anyone has a clue for me!

| Thu 30 May 2019 16:05:07 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

GrahamRHK - 58 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks to all for help. I have concluded it is a networking problem internally. If both HUMAX and my Mac are connected to the same access point all works fine - Samba and FTP.

Good; are you able to download decrypted recordings?

I think I need to understand why my router internal wireless won't connect through to an external wireless access point on one on its ethernet ports. Unless anyone has a clue for me!

You would need to describe the topology of the network and what make and model the wireless access point is.

| Thu 30 May 2019 17:06:18 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

GrahamRHK - 3 hours ago  » 
    Thanks to all for help. I have concluded it is a networking problem internally. If both HUMAX and my Mac are connected to the same access point all works fine - Samba and FTP. So I think we can close this thread. I think I need to understand why my router internal wireless won't connect through to an external wireless access point on one on its ethernet ports. Unless anyone has a clue for me!

Different subnets ?

| Thu 30 May 2019 19:28:38 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

I haven't got that far yet. My objective, a step at a time, is to be able to watch recordings from FVP5000T on a FOX T2 with custom firmware and other modules that apparently enable decryption. First I am trying to make sure that the FVP is working as in the spec. It has some odd behaviour at times e.g. inconsistent setting of recordings remotely; loss of ability to go back in the EPG for catch up.
    You would need to describe the topology of the network and what make and model the wireless access point is.

Router is Draytek 2860. FVP is connected to a NetGear 2700 as wireless access point connected to LAN port 4. Mac is connected to 5G Draytek wireless. LAN port 5 is connected to my wired Mac with port mirroring 4 to5 so that I can monitor FVP5000T traffic with wireshark. All ports are on the same VLAN.

| Fri 31 May 2019 7:59:56 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

GrahamRHK - 4 hours ago  » 

I haven't got that far yet. My objective, a step at a time, is to be able to watch recordings from FVP5000T on a FOX T2 with custom firmware and other modules that apparently enable decryption.

I assume ypu realise that the HDR-FOX T2 will only decrypt recordings made on an HDR-FOX T2?

Router is Draytek 2860. FVP is connected to a NetGear 2700 as wireless access point connected to LAN port 4. Mac is connected to 5G Draytek wireless. LAN port 5 is connected to my wired Mac with port mirroring 4 to5 so that I can monitor FVP5000T traffic with wireshark.

Nothing obviously wrong there. What IP addresses do the FVP and the wireless connected Mac have?

| Fri 31 May 2019 12:35:26 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.