My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 4000T 500gb rf input connection poor

(17 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ancell - 15 hours ago  » 
    The antenna is a factory fitted unit to my 3 year old all plastic UK built 3 year old Swift caravan.
    In previous years this site was incapable of getting a usable predigital terrestial picture.
    I always used a 60cm cheap Sky dish and my Humax twin tuner Freesat box using cheap Sky quad LNB.
    Thanks to new satellite I can use a 40cm Sky dish in Thurso and still get a good signal.
    I think the Humax rf unit centre connection spread due to the constant plugging and unplugging as the box is set up and dismantled every time I use it on holiday.
    Being retired we tend to use the caravan most of the summer-but-not this year.

Make a coax patch cable with a male belling lee on one end and female in the other. Secure the male in the box. Connect and disconnect from the socket on the cable end. If that fails simmply replace the female connector. F connections are much more reliable than the ancient Belling Lee ones.

| Thu 10 Sep 2020 12:32:16 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ancell

I agree.
    Now moved to Aberfeldy Caravan Park where the nearest transmitter is 4.1 miles away-Grandtully-even worse reception than Brora!
    The good news is I am now certain the problem lies not with the Humax box but with poor terrestial reception.
    I will get out my Humax Freesat twin tuner tomorrow-if the rain forecast is wrong-or-probably read either Jason Platos How Not to be a Professional Racing Driver or TM Devine The Scottish Clearances.
    The only books in the caravan.
    Many thanks for the help and support-great forum-great boxes-in my opinion

| Thu 10 Sep 2020 21:49:54 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ancell

Now on Fraserburgh esplanade persevering with 4000T freeview.
    Tuned to Rosehearty 4.2 miles away using 570 in vertical mode.
    Getting 100% strength and 95% quality on tuners 1 and 2 nothing on tuner 3.
    My problem is pin sharp picture on live channels but pixilating on recordings.
    Is this a case of poor reception-yet again?

| Fri 9 Oct 2020 21:37:35 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ancell - 14 hours ago  » 

You will only get a signal on tuner 3 when tuners 1 & 2 are tied up recording.

tune to channel 1 and press the record button to record BBC1 SD.

tune to channel 3 and press the record button to record ITV - SD

tune to 104 and press the record button to record Channel 4-HD.

Now display the signal diagnostics.

Recordings should be identical to live TV. A recording is a bit for bit exact copy of the live TV stream. You may have a hard drive problem. If you don't mind losing your existing recordings try a hard disk format.

| Sat 10 Oct 2020 11:58:16 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ancell

grahamlthompson - 5 hours ago  » 

ancell - 14 hours ago  » 

Recordings should be identical to live TV. A recording is a bit for bit exact copy of the live TV stream. You may have a hard drive problem. If you don't mind losing your existing recordings try a hard disk format.

Many thanks Grahamlthompson-problem solved pin sharp pictures on all 3 tuners having reformated recorded content.
    The only puzzling thing is tuner 3 shows nil signal and nil quality but is producing recordings of equal quality as tuners 1 and 2.

| Sat 10 Oct 2020 17:31:17 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ancell - 1 min ago  » 
    The only puzzling thing is tuner 3 shows nil signal and nil quality but is producing recordings of equal quality as tuners 1 and 2.

Are you checking when it is actually in the process of making a recording using tuner 3?

| Sat 10 Oct 2020 17:34:03 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ancell - 56 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 5 hours ago  » 

ancell - 14 hours ago  » 

Many thanks Grahamlthompson-problem solved pin sharp pictures on all 3 tuners having reformated recorded content.

Tuner 3 is powered down when not required, presumably to save power. Unless you have a recording schedule that needs 3 tuners and you check during this period when all 3 tuners are being used, than it will not report any signal, this is completely normal.

| Sat 10 Oct 2020 18:30:51 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.