My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 4000T 500gb rf input connection poor

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ancell

Hi
    My caravan Humax 4000T has given a few years service but this trip it is not delivering non pixilated picture or sound.
    Quality and signal strength are 80%.
    My Viera Panasonic tv tuner gives crisp pictures and perfect sound.
    When I hold the rf input cable tightly to the Humax I get an improvement but not as good as its usual clarity.
    Must I bin this excellent box?

| Tue 8 Sep 2020 23:48:47 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Most problems like this are caused by poorly fitted belling Lee connectors. These should have the centre core soldered.

Best to use satellite grade cable and f connectors with f to belling lee adaptors.

| Wed 9 Sep 2020 11:37:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ancell

the confusing things for me are
    1 the box shows 80% quality and strength signal-this produces a good picture on the Panasonic Viera tv tuner.
    2 I am using a high quality Digisignal cable with Digisignal adapter-the tv tuner is using a much cheaper rf connector from the same caravan aerial.
    The rf built in female connector on the Humax box is showing signs of wear and tear.
    While the connector appears to be a quality Humax item the core connector has spread I pushed/squashed it together with needle nosed pliers but I fear it is failing to make a good enough connection

| Wed 9 Sep 2020 12:35:06 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ancell - 12 mins ago  » 
    the confusing things for me are
    1 the box shows 80% quality and strength signal-this produces a good picture on the Panasonic Viera tv tuner.
    2 I am using a high quality Digisignal cable with Digisignal adapter-the tv tuner is using a much cheaper rf connector from the same caravan aerial.
    The rf built in female connector on the Humax box is showing signs of wear and tear.

Which channels are causing the issues and which transmitter ? It's possible that changes to the transmitter frequencies have made your aerial unsuitable.

This particulary applies to channels on COM 7 and COM 8. These are being moved to Single Frequency networks (SFNS). You may be located in a area where you can no longer use these MUX.
    While the connector appears to be a quality Humax item the core connector has spread I pushed/squashed it together with needle nosed pliers but I fear it is failing to make a good enough connection

| Wed 9 Sep 2020 12:50:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ancell

BBC quality is poor on Humax perfect on Viera TV
    STV poor on both
    Rumster Forrest transmitter 27 miles line of sight.
    I am at postal address KW9 6LP
    Using Status 570 antenna system

| Wed 9 Sep 2020 16:13:45 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ancell - 1 hour ago  » 
    BBC quality is poor on Humax perfect on Viera TV
    STV poor on both
    Rumster Forrest transmitter 27 miles line of sight.
    I am at postal address KW9 6LP
    Using Status 570 antenna system

No idea what a status 570 antenna is.

The equivalent English channels (yours are STV). all look really good on my 5000T.

Have you considered using a smallish dish and a freesat box ? The UK spot beam transponders are now very strong so even a Sky Minidish should work well.

The primary area is within the red line

https://aerotrac.co.uk/footprints/

| Wed 9 Sep 2020 17:49:35 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ancell - 6 hours ago  » 
    The rf built in female connector on the Humax box is showing signs of wear and tear. While the connector appears to be a quality Humax item the core connector has spread

Have you worked out what caused it to spread?

| Wed 9 Sep 2020 18:38:06 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ancell

The antenna is a factory fitted unit to my 3 year old all plastic UK built 3 year old Swift caravan.
    In previous years this site was incapable of getting a usable predigital terrestial picture.
    I always used a 60cm cheap Sky dish and my Humax twin tuner Freesat box using cheap Sky quad LNB.
    Thanks to new satellite I can use a 40cm Sky dish in Thurso and still get a good signal.

I think the Humax rf unit centre connection spread due to the constant plugging and unplugging as the box is set up and dismantled every time I use it on holiday.
    Being retired we tend to use the caravan most of the summer-but-not this year.

| Wed 9 Sep 2020 21:40:03 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A1944 - 14 hours ago  » 
    https://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/status-570.html

Doesn't say if its a wideband design or any other details. How will it cope with Mobile sources in the UHF bands

| Thu 10 Sep 2020 13:14:42 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.