My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-4000T EPG over-the-air updates

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SteveP

I have had an FVP-4000T for around 10 months, it's now running firmware v1.02.13 and on the whole I'm very pleased with it. I've searched the forum for this issue but didn't find anything.

For the first time since owning the box I went away for two weeks and turned off my broadband router. The Humax had a number of series linked recordings scheduled. On returning the Humax had recorded the first week episodes but not the second.

I therefore assumed that the EPG hadn't updated as it couldn't access the Internet, or receive over the air updates as the periodic recordings it made weren't long enough for it to receive an update.

I enquired with Humax Support who have been fairly helpful with previous queries but were inconclusive when I enquired about this.

Does anyone know if the FVP-4000T only updates the EPG data over the Internet or does it get over the air updates?

If it does get over the air updates any suggestions for ensuring reliability, such as setting longer timers?

Many thanks,

Steve

| Thu 7 Sep 2017 13:48:54 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SteveP - 18 minutes ago  » 
    I therefore assumed that the EPG hadn't updated as it couldn't access the Internet, or receive over the air updates as the periodic recordings it made weren't long enough for it to receive an update.

Do you use manually specified padding or accurate recording?

| Thu 7 Sep 2017 14:09:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SteveP

I've got manual padding configured. I found with accurate recording enabled some channels were transmitting less than accurate info, and over-running recordings were sometimes getting the endings chopped off.

| Thu 7 Sep 2017 14:30:13 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SteveP - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've got manual padding configured. I found with accurate recording enabled some channels were transmitting less than accurate info, and over-running recordings were sometimes getting the endings chopped off.

I don't know about the FVP-4000T but certainly on some of the earlier Humax boxes the use of padding resulted in failure to update the EPG if the box only came out of standby to make recordings. I think the bug was fixed in a software update. I wonder if this is the same sort of bug rearing its head again. Maybe Barry knows?

| Thu 7 Sep 2017 15:35:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SteveP

When you say padding did you mean manual padding or any padding i.e. Did accurate recordings have the same issue?

| Thu 7 Sep 2017 15:49:35 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SteveP - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Did accurate recordings have the same issue?

Accurate recordings didn't suffer from this issue. I am also surprised you have had problems with accurate recording as our experience on several different Humax boxes is that it works very well (although not perfect but then sadly nothing in life is). I should add the caveat that accurate recordings will only work properly if the box is tuned to a single transmitter; it it is receiving from more than one transmitter all bets are off.

| Thu 7 Sep 2017 16:17:52 #6 |
  7. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

I was thinking the same as Martin, I've had no need for any padding for scheduled recordings on the 4000T. But I do always use manual tuning to avoid receiving signals from two transmitters.

On the very rare occasions that the end is missing, which happens more with instant recordings than with scheduled, I've always been able to find it on catch-up.

| Thu 7 Sep 2017 18:00:56 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Stephenesque - 1 minute ago  » 
    On the very rare occasions that the end is missing, which happens more with instant recordings than with scheduled, I've always been able to find it on catch-up.

Instant recordings aren't covered by accurate recording on other Hunmax products.

| Thu 7 Sep 2017 18:03:05 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SteveP

In that case I'll ditch manual padding and see what happens.

Anyone know how long an EPG update takes I've seen 15-20 mins mentioned and if they are on all channels or a subset based on which multiplexer is in use?
    Does the Humax require a full transmission or can it cope with multiple partial updates?

A lot of my recordings are short kids programmes (on Cbeebies, which may be too short for the EPG to arrive) with a few 30 & 60 minute recordings. Without us being home to watch TV maybe we're not recording from the right channels for long enough to grab accurate EPG updates - or as Martin suggests it is the padding.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

| Thu 7 Sep 2017 18:16:26 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Each digital mux carries the full epg in a round data robin and using a single tuner it takes about 20 minutes to go round the lot. It is however possible to use more than one tuner to speed up the process by using different mux. No idea if the 4000T is set up to use more than one tuner (not a 4000T owner).

Most of the data will be OK already so it may not be changed at all at least for the next 6 days.

If you are concerned set a manual watch only 20 min reservation on BBC 1 at a time when you aren't using the box which should at least give you a daily epg update and add the extra days data. It's possible the box does this every night anyway. Immediately after first boot check the last day in the epg to see if there is content missing.

Back in the day the Humax8000T took around 20 minutes to update but the Topfield model was approx twice as fast (presumably used both tuners).

| Thu 7 Sep 2017 18:30:00 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.