My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 4000T fails to record

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barmingmag

There seems to be a problem with PVR functionality of the FVP 4000T we recently purchased.

The box did not record programmes on receipt. After a first failed recording of a series, the programme was still listed as set for recording the series but it did not record. I tried to record a programme that started in 15 mins. It showed it as scheduled but nothing was recorded. Nothing is recorded when the record button on the remote is hit for live recording. Each time the box clicked every 1-2 seconds and makes a whirring sound ever 5 seconds or so; these sound like the box trying to establish connection to its HDD but failing.

Furthermore, in Settings all sub-menus of the PVR Settings were greyed out and only the first sub-menu (Remote Recording) can be highlighted. It is not possible to highlight Recording Options, Playback Options, Storage.

Nothing changes after rebooting or a factory reset.

This led to Humax replacing the 4000T. When a second box was received, all seemed normal up until time of first recording, when the box developed another clicking and whirring sound. It seemed the same issue recurred with the second box. The PVR Settings are greyed out again (we checked at outset and they weren't prior to first attempt at recording - without changing any settings). A reset to factory default again changed nothing. The PVR Settings remain greyed out and cannot (after first failed recording) be highlighted, as if the first recording messed up something irrevertibly. Everything else about the box seems to work fine.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the forum so far that is similar to this issue. Any suggestions as to what may be behind the issue would be welcome. I would hate to get the second box replaced (which we will have to do, it seems) and just have a third box get corrupted again because of a set up issue.

Additional info: We have signal strength and quality of 100% but only with a booster (Antiference P1200T - fitted a number of years ago with no problems since). When booster is turned off the signal strength comes down to about 50% meaning some channels cannot be identified. We had no such recording problems with our Humax PVR 9200T (which we recently had to add a SCART/HDMI converter to when we upgraded from a CRT to a Samsung Smart TV). Aerial is pointed at Bluebell Hill (Maidstone, Kent).

| Sun 12 Mar 2017 15:01:32 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Barmingmag - 1 hour ago  » 
    Additional info: We have signal strength and quality of 100% but only with a booster (Antiference P1200T - fitted a number of years ago with no problems since).

Signal strength of a 100% may be too high and saturating the tuners. You could tr fitting a variable attenuator and if that helps consider replacing the booster with a variable gain model. However I am not sure that this will fix your recording problems.

| Sun 12 Mar 2017 16:05:26 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB

You haven't said what happens with recording when the booster is off.

| Sun 12 Mar 2017 17:43:32 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barmingmag

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like that may be an option. Do you think that the high signal strength or some other effect of the booster may be corrupting the tuner to the extent that it needs replacing? I say this as there does not seem to be anyway to get the 4000T back to the state it was in prior to the first attempt at recording.

If the box does need replacing again, it sounds like it is worth getting an variable attenuator and getting the signal strength down to, say, 65% (right?) prior to trying to record for the first time with a third 4000T. Thoughts? Thanks.

| Sun 12 Mar 2017 17:49:08 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barmingmag

BB - 32 minutes ago  » 
    You haven't said what happens with recording when the booster is off.

Interesting idea. It would not record initially when booster off and the 4000T kept doing that horrible whirring sound it has done since the first failed recording.

Previously factory re-sets had not helped. Yet, this time I tried a factory reset after the booster was off (after seeing your post). The signal strength is about 49% on Tuner 1 and quality 100% still. Result: 1) The whirring stopped. 2) It was able to record and playback one of the available channels. 3) Not all channels are available (eg Channel 91 Frontrunner) due to the worse signal strength.

I guess there may be a sweet spot that means I can both a) increase the signal strength to allow more channels by either attentuating the existing booster or putting in, as suggested, a variable gain booster, and b) not be such high signal strength that the 4000T gets saturated tuners and won't record.

Next step is to get a variable attenuator tomorrow and see if we can find that sweet spot. Or does that not sound feasible?

| Sun 12 Mar 2017 18:29:01 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mcmad

The whirring sounds like a hard disk issue. Is there a menu option to check the health of the disk like on the HDR Foxes?

| Sun 12 Mar 2017 20:12:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barmingmag

Mcmad - 4 minutes ago  » 
    The whirring sounds like a hard disk issue. Is there a menu option to check the health of the disk like on the HDR Foxes?

I thought so too. You will see from what I posted just earlier that I managed to get it going again. After doing so, I did the HDD test and all good. Looks like it may be something to do with signal strength is knocking off the tuners and, after recording, making the HDD in accessible.

I have now put the booster on again and retuned channels to get them all again. It has recorded the newly found channels (eg Channel 91 which is not available without the booster). I have now asked it to record a programme and a series coming out of standby (which I recall may have been a trigger issue). Can there be some combination of coming out of standby and high signal strength that makes the HDD fail to record and become inaccessible?

| Sun 12 Mar 2017 20:31:25 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB

Next step is to get a variable attenuator tomorrow and see if we can find that sweet spot. Or does that not sound feasible?

That's what I would do. Around 80% should be enough.

| Sun 12 Mar 2017 20:46:02 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Barmingmag - 4 hours ago  » 
    Sounds like that may be an option. Do you think that the high signal strength or some other effect of the booster may be corrupting the tuner to the extent that it needs replacing?

I think that is unlikely; there have been may reports of signal strength that is too high and no previous indication that it causes permanent damage.

I say this as there does not seem to be anyway to get the 4000T back to the state it was in prior to the first attempt at recording.

I think the box has another problem besides the signal strength.

If the box does need replacing again, it sounds like it is worth getting an variable attenuator and getting the signal strength down to, say, 65% (right?) prior to trying to record for the first time with a third 4000T.

My feeling, based on experiments with our HDR-2000T (which may have a different scale for signal strength), is that around 80% is optimal.

| Sun 12 Mar 2017 22:11:34 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barmingmag

My feeling, based on experiments with our HDR-2000T (which may have a different scale for signal strength), is that around 80% is optimal.

Thanks. Sounds like a plan.

| Sun 12 Mar 2017 22:24:02 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.