My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 4000T fails to record

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barmingmag

Update.

With a 5-1000MHz Variable Attenuator (0-20dB):

1) Brings the unboosted signal when on BBC1 down from 48% signal strength to an understandably unusable 24% when on max attenuation.
    2) Brings the boosted signal when on BBC1 down from 100% signal to 87% when on max attenuation.
    3) Brings unboosted signal on BBC1 HD from 48% to unusable 24%.
    4) Brings boosted signal on BBC1 HD from 100% to 91% with max attenuation.

It would suggest that an unattenuated boosted signal is way more than 100%, hence possibly overloading the tuner.

When I had the set-up with signal boosted with max attenuation, as per 2) and 4) above, the problem of HDD access recurred and factory resets usually did little.

After many attempts at doing factory reset which failed to address the HDD access / recording issue and maintained the whirring sound every second or so, I left the box switched off, with all cables unplugged overnight in a state which was at the start of the set-up. Next morning, it set-up normally and was able to access the HDD. It showed some recorded programmes (from the first 'failed' attempt; and this was after doing a factory reset with HDD format!) which I could not see previously and showed stats for HDD Status. A HDD Test was normal. It recorded live TV. I set it to record programmes overnight. The next morning, we were back to the same issue - no HDD Status, no access to PVR Settings, whirring noise every second or so.

I again left if off overnight unplugged, with no cables attached, in the state at the start of the set-up. This morning it again worked fine, HDD Status normal, HDD Test passed, PVR Settings accessible (though not changed), no whirring sound. Despite the factory reset including HDD Format, the programmes which had been set to record the previous night were now accessible (suggesting that the HDD format did not work). Again, I was able to record live TV. All good.

However, I noted that the Time Shift Recording (TSR) was not working (first time I recall trying to use this function). Live TV could not be paused (and this was after being on the channel for at least 5 minutes or so). A crossed out yellow circle appeared in the top right corner of the screen whenever Pause, Fast Forward, Rewind was pressed. I could not see anything in the manual or troubleshooting guide to help, so decided to do another factory reset. This led to the same problem of HDD access (as described) recurring. It also did not fix the TSR issue. After the reset, the Pause button now has a message "This function does not work while retrieving data for time shift buffer. Try again in a few seconds." (ie not the crossed out yellow circle this time!) Whether a few seconds or minutes, the same message keeps reappearing and the TSR does not function.

The issue does not seem to be resolved in any stable manner and there is some sort of recurring HDD access issue that makes this box unusable or highly unreliable. One wonders if a box exchange would help.

Further thoughts welcome. Thanks.

| Tue 14 Mar 2017 16:14:57 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Barmingmag - 36 minutes ago  » 
    One wonders if a box exchange would help.

That is certainly the route I would be going down.

| Tue 14 Mar 2017 16:51:53 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barmingmag

Update: After procrastination, HUMAX Direct have exchanged the box. So far, so good with the replacement. The test will be when I try and record a series to start when box is in sleep mode. That seemed to be a possible trigger for the previous two boxes. Here's hoping.

| Mon 3 Apr 2017 14:25:11 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barmingmag

For info, no further issue in the intervening period.

| Sun 21 Jul 2019 17:16:34 #14 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

As a matter of interest and perhaps for the benefit of others, what are your p[resent signal strength/quality readings.

| Sun 21 Jul 2019 18:37:08 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barmingmag

Sure. Strength hovering 96-98% and quality 100%.

| Sun 21 Jul 2019 20:12:07 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Barmingmag - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sure. Strength hovering 96-98% and quality 100%.

You may find the issue comes back during high pressure uplift conditions. That's because UHF signals travel further during these conditions so distant transmitters using the same frequency UHF carriers become receivable so interfere with the signals from your local transmitter. Attenuating or using a aerial with narrower polar reception may fix as may locating the aerial where your house may reduce the unwanted signal levels below the tuner reception threshold.

You can expect these sorts of issues in the coming week.

In the end satellite reception is totally immune to this problem.

| Sun 21 Jul 2019 22:05:20 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barmingmag

Thanks for the advice. It has been perfect these last two years so I won't do anything for now. However, good to know, just in case.

| Sun 21 Jul 2019 22:56:05 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.