My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Fvp 4000t hard drive into fvp 5000t

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clusterm2

Hi, my 4000t has stopped working, power supply is ok, no lights on box at all. I've taken the box apart and removed the HD hoping to be able to save my recordings by putting the HD into another Humax box, obviously I'm preferring an FVP 4000t but to widen my possibilities, maybe an FVP 5000t (second hand ebay or FB Market Place)
    Just wondering if this plan has a chance of working or will a different box want the HD reformatting.
    I've already bought a Humax Aura so not bothered about a second hand box or how long it will last.

| Thu 26 Jan 2023 15:15:10 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Clusterm2 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've taken the box apart and removed the HD hoping to be able to save my recordings by putting the HD into another Humax box, obviously I'm preferring an FVP 4000t but to widen my possibilities, maybe an FVP 5000t (second hand ebay or FB Market Place)
    Just wondering if this plan has a chance of working or will a different box want the HD reformatting.

Sorry but your plan has no chance of working as all recordings are encrypted with a key that is unique to a particular box. Your only chance of retrieving the recordings is to get the old box working again.

| Thu 26 Jan 2023 16:34:18 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

Which part of your 4000T has stopped working.
    If you can hear or feel that the hard drive is being powered and is rotating you
    could try connecting the Aura and the 4000T via ethernet or WiFi to see if the Aura will play
    your 4000T recordings.

The following instructions are based on an Aura and a 5000T connected by ethernet,
    I don't have a 4000T but hoping the set up is not too dissimilar to the 5000T.

Download and install VLC player to the Aura from the Google Play Store.
    Having installed VLC open it go to Browsing in the left column and click on Local Network,
    if the two boxes are connected properly you should see an icon labelled FVP-4000T (upnp).
    click on that and you should see two folders Internal HDD and Recordings.
    Select Recordings to view the recordings on the 4000T.
    Clicking on Internal HDD will open to a further set of folders including Media,
    open that folder and you will see a Download folder, in there will be any movies, TV, music or pictures
    you may have transferred from a computer or other device to the 4000T.
    Please note the Aura will only be able to see and play SD recordings, HD recordings are encrypted and
    can only be played on the box they were recorded on.

If the above does not work take the 4000T HD and place it in a hard drive enclosure, you can buy them for
    about £20-00 on Amazon. Make sure the enclosure has the correct connections for the 4000T HD, the type
    of connection should be printed on the label of the HD.
    Connect the enclosure to the Aura by USB cable and use VLC to navigate to the drive.
    If this works you may be able to play the SD recordings, I have never tried this so can't speak from experience
    and am not even sure VLC can play the .ts file format that Humax records too.

| Fri 27 Jan 2023 5:22:32 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

VitaminD - 5 hours ago  » 
    If this works you may be able to play the SD recordings, I have never tried this so can't speak from experience

On the FVP-4000T/5000T the recordings are encrypted so this simply will not work.

| Fri 27 Jan 2023 10:47:40 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

Martin Liddle - 34 mins ago  » 

On the FVP-4000T/5000T the recordings are encrypted so this simply will not work.

I can certainly play SD recordings from my 5000T on my Aura connected via ethernet, as I described earlier in my post.

As for popping the HD into an enclosure and seeing if the Aura can play the 4000T/ 5000T SD recordings
    via USB using VLC or similar I don't know as I have not had any cause to try this method, but thought I would it include it
    as something that could be tried if the OP's 4000T was completely defunct and connecting via ethernet/ WiFi was not possible.

| Fri 27 Jan 2023 11:31:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

VitaminD - 15 mins ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 34 mins ago  » 

I can certainly play SD recordings from my 5000T on my Aura connected via ethernet, as I described earlier in my post.

Agreed but that is using the DLNA server on the FVP. The OP reports "no lights on box at all"; I very much doubt that the DLNA server will be functional.

As for popping the HD into an enclosure and seeing if the Aura can play the 4000T/ 5000T SD recordings
    via USB using VLC or similar I don't know as I have not had any cause to try this method, but thought I would it include it

It is well known it won't work because of the encryption so why suggest something you haven't even tried? Note that as far as I am aware the Aura doesn't encrypt SD recordings so it should be possible to play SD recordings from the hard drive of an Aura on other devices.

| Fri 27 Jan 2023 11:54:17 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clusterm2

Thanks for the replies.
    Are just the HD recordings encrypted? ie, If I put my hard drive in another box,is there a chance the SD recordings will play?
    My box is completely dead, no lights, no sounds. I tried the hard drive in a USB pcmi adaptor, but my laptop only sees the adaptor not the hard drive. I do know it's a Linux format so may get an old pc out of the loft and try fitting the hd into a spare pcmi slot...

| Sat 28 Jan 2023 12:52:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Clusterm2 - 20 mins ago  » 
    Are just the HD recordings encrypted? ie, If I put my hard drive in another box,is there a chance the SD recordings will play?

Let me try again, in post #2 I said "all recordings are encrypted" and yes that means both HD and SD. Some Humax models do not encrypt SD recordings but the FVP-4000T/5000T certainly do. if the box is usable the encryption on SD recordings can be removed by copying to USB storage or capturing the DLNA stream.

| Sat 28 Jan 2023 13:21:16 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.