didnt mean to post that 3x
    pic attached

Attachments

1. IMG_20210916_144726106small.jpg (907.3 KB, 7 downloads) 2 years old
    | Thu 16 Sep 2021 15:28:42 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

The recording should not be broken,
    When watching something press the red record button, it should flash up that it has started recording.
    After a while, go to the recording screen which should show the program with the status recording. Select it, take the stop recording option, then you should see the program without the broken graphic.
    Sorry if thats sucking eggs but have to check everything.

Also have you done the HDD Test as mentioned earlier, what was the result.

| Thu 16 Sep 2021 16:15:28 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

Pressing red button when watching a prog makes the machine respond saying it is recording as it does when you set a program to record on the guide and when you tell it to play all that happens is you get a line saying the video cannot be played wrong file type.
    When you examine the drive on a PC it shows the recordings but there is nothing in them the timeline starts and ends with 0.00

| Thu 16 Sep 2021 18:08:05 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

Pressing red button when watching a prog makes the machine respond saying it is recording as it does when you set a program to record on the guide and when you tell it to play all that happens is you get a line saying the video cannot be played wrong file type.
    When you examine the drive on a PC it shows the recordings but there is nothing in them the timeline starts and ends with 0.00
    A previous answer to my original question the writer said the format was unlikely to be NTFS or Fat 32 and likely to be ext4 and he is correct, I have checked my own FVP4000 and the file system comes up as hmx_int_stor_ext4 I have ordered a external H/D enclosure (but made the mistake of ordering one that has to come from China) so when that arrives I will try cloning the drive and extend the partitions accordingly for the bigger drive and will post the result in due course.
    Boyd (mactoshb)

| Thu 16 Sep 2021 18:24:41 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

Are you going through the stop recording dialogue because that's probably when it actually writes the file (probably in cache before).

HAVE you done the HDD TEST?

| Thu 16 Sep 2021 18:44:28 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

a4000t_owner - 23 mins ago  » 
    Are you going through the stop recording dialogue because that's probably when it actually writes the file (probably in cache before).

That is the first time I have seen it suggested that recordings are not written direct to the disk (with the small amount of caching from the hard drive controller). Do you have any evidence for your suggestion and can you explain what advantage it would offer for a multi gigabyte file?

| Thu 16 Sep 2021 19:11:30 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

I do know that the recording Boyd is playing is broken and goes from 10:21 to 10:21 which isn't a lot of time. Its not a successful recording.

So I'm wondering how the recording is broken rather than completed and I haven't made any comments on multi Gb files.

| Thu 16 Sep 2021 19:27:57 #57 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

a4000t_owner - 3 hours ago  » 
    So I'm wondering how the recording is broken rather than completed and I haven't made any comments on multi Gb files.

It could be broken because of problems with the hard drive or the file system or some glitch affecting the transfer of the data from the broadcast stream to the hard drive. I have no idea which. You have still failed to explain why you think that GB of data might be cached?

| Thu 16 Sep 2021 23:25:46 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

My comment about cache in the context of the thread is related to the small broken recording that for some reason isn't complete with 0 timeline and 0 size. In any event I'm just trying to suggest stopping the recording properly so things can be written rather than broken.

Of course it's not possible and would be pointless for a budget box with limited memory to cache Gb at a time you have taken one comment to extremes. I spent hours today taking my box apart trying to help and wasn't expecting one sentence to be seized upon for nothing constructive to the thread.

| Fri 17 Sep 2021 0:47:18 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

The recordings were broken because I was just checking if the recordings could be played so I let them start Using timer and red button and then stopped after a short time, that is the only reason they were broken and also I did numerous complete timer "recordings" over several nights and the recordings list showed them but they did not play with the message I have quoted.
    All the drives I tried were put in one of two FVPs and then during setup They were returned to factory state after cleaning and formatting during the process and all ended up appearing to record and not playing the listed recordings.
    Everything done on them, has been done using the proper controls If I disconnected the machine any recording or playing attempts were properly stopped first and to end I can assure you the file system comes up on both on AOME partition assistant and Minitool Partition Wizard list the format type as [/b]hmx_int_stor_ext4[b] I have tried several drives out of DTR and HDR and none of them show that format, but both FVP4000 I use do format the hard/drive in that format.
    Incidentally my working hard drives when removed from machine and hooked up to a partition manager on my PC show the same and all the partitions are labeled the same type format.
    I did write to Humax asking about it but have had no reply.
    I will post again when I get the H/D enclosure and try to clone, cant@put a second drive in my PC so need external
    Boyd

| Fri 17 Sep 2021 7:45:42 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.