My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 4000T no longer picking up channels

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

steviec

My mother purchased a FVP 4000T from Currys and it worked fine for 3 months then for no apparent reason the channels started to freeze. I tried retuning the box and it only picked up 4 channels. The built in freeview on the Samsung TV picks up all channels therefore the aerial is not the problem. Humax delivered a replacement box to my mother and I have just installed it. The replacement box is also only picking up the same 4 channels. Can anyone shed any light on what the problem might be. Is it a software issue?

| Thu 7 Apr 2016 0:14:43 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Would not think software or we would have had more reports of same.

Is the aerial routed directly to the Humax or 'loop thru' another device?

| Thu 7 Apr 2016 9:31:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

steviec

The external aerial is connected directly to the humax. I've since tried an internal aerial and it is now working. It doesn't explain however why the external aerial worked fine for 3 months and still picks up all channels when connected directly to the Samsung tvs built in freeview?

| Thu 7 Apr 2016 11:16:35 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

steviec - 37 minutes ago  » 
    It doesn't explain however why the external aerial worked fine for 3 months and still picks up all channels when connected directly to the Samsung tvs built in freeview?

Have a careful look at the aerial cabling looking for badly made joints, kinks in the cable or any signs of water getting in. There have been a large number of posts over many years where a Humax has been more sensitive to faults in the aerial cabling than other equipment. What is the signal strength and quality reported by the Humax when a) connected to the indoor aerial and b) connected to the external aerial.

| Thu 7 Apr 2016 11:57:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I completely agree with Martin - this has all the characteristics of poor signal quality. Signal strength is of less importance - it is the quality which is critical.

1 Are you using satellite TV coax with the full metal foil shielding? The conventional "brown or white TV co-ax" is little better than the proverbial bit of wet string for digital TV.

2 Is the aerial on a cranked arm? If you are in an area where you get reflections, the aerial can be in a nul, and having it mounted on a cranked arm allows you to move it 12" closer to, or 12" further from, the transmitter, while keeing it facing the same way. This will move it out of the nul.

3 In some weathers (usually fine, high pressure), you can get interference from distant transmitters.

An excellent check is to look at the Signal Quality. It should be steady, preferably at 100%. If it is varying, dropping down to 80% or 60% or even lower, then back up again, this is almost certainly interference, or reflections caused by moving things.

I am in a weak signal area and my roof aerial picks up Mendip fine. But when Mendip swaps onto its backup antenna for maintenance, my aerial is in a nul for the backup antenna

I therefore have a second aerial in the loft which is not in the nul for the backup antenna, and I just swap aerials whenever Mendip uses its backup antenna.

| Mon 11 Apr 2016 9:56:35 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

... any signs of water getting in

If the coax runs across the roof check carefully for chafed insulation which will let water in and can be bad enough to expose the inner conductor.

Some satellite co-ax has solid inner insulator which protects against water getting in.

I trust I can post a web site - I have no connection with it. The web address includes "avoid this cr*p" and I totally agree with the sentiment.

Cable, Connectors and Leads

| Mon 11 Apr 2016 10:07:33 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.