My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-5000T A speed increase discovery..

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DAV1DUK

I too have experienced very slow responses from my Humax fvp-5000t . Some months ago I wrote to Humax Customer Support expressing my frustration at this slowness and also the need to keep deleting cookies every couple of days in order to restore the Catchup Players icons from the top menu and the disappearing backwards program guide. (EPG)

Their ludicrous reply (after several weeks!) was to suggest I change the remote control channel by pressing “0” and “OK” together for 8-10 seconds and selecting a new number between 1 and 6 on the screen. This apparently would avoid a conflict with any other Humax device I may have! (I don’t!) Needless to say, this procedure achieved absolutely nothing. And there was no mention of the deleting cookies problem.

HOWEVER! I may have found an answer to the performance issues!

Out of frustration, I went through every single setting in the Settings Menu to see if there was anything I might have missed that was causing the problem. And completely randomly, I discovered this:-

Press the red and white Freeview button.
    Go to Settings,
    Genera Settings,
    Video,
    SD Output
    then select Always On
    (There is a yellow text tip at the bottom if it’s set to Always On with HDMI and RCA cables connected at the same time, then only Standard Definition is provided. But as I only have an HDMI cable, this doesn’t apply)

I have absolutely NO IDEA why this setting should have an impact on the fvt-5000t speed performance but ever since the menus noticeably much faster. Not perfect, but a lot better then before.
    Try it yourselves!

| Tue 29 Mar 2022 23:33:50 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

Thank you does seem to work ,machine does seem quicker.
    Might be a job for you at Humax as a Consultant to Customer Support.Perhaps not you may be over qualified!

| Wed 30 Mar 2022 18:39:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

niknak

Thanks for the tip. My 4000 and 5000 DO seem a little faster now. Although that may be wishful thinking on my part!

| Wed 30 Mar 2022 19:06:56 #3 |
  4. jpv1960

jpv1960

Thanks for the tip. I have carried out the change on mine.

| Fri 1 Apr 2022 10:37:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

geoffcc

Tried this, but sadly no change on my FVP5000t. It has always been slow, but in the last week it has got stupidly slow. Still trying things to find out why this might be.

| Thu 17 Nov 2022 11:53:14 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

geoffcc

geoffcc - 1 day ago  » 
    Tried this, but sadly no change on my FVP5000t. It has always been slow, but in the last week it has got stupidly slow. Still trying things to find out why this might be.

OK, I switched off the FTP server and the Network Server in Advanced settings. Now it is back to normal slow speed instead of the ultra slow speed it developed. Not sure if these cured it, but it is now cured

| Fri 18 Nov 2022 17:38:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

BunnyW

Just tried this on my FVP5000T and it made a faNtastic difference.

| Thu 23 Feb 2023 17:44:50 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi DAV1DUK,

Are you able to still watch tv/recordings in HD i.e. 1080p resolution? I don't have your model, but this is interesting to read. My guess is the load on the CPU/memory, but does it reduce the menu display resolution also? Be interested to know. John L

| Thu 23 Feb 2023 18:58:12 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

DAV1DUK

Yes John. I can still watch and record HD channels. No loss in menu resolution either.

David W

| Thu 23 Feb 2023 19:05:33 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.