My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 5000T Constantly Crashing

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Digital-Craig

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in here and I joined to share this issue to see if anyone else has the same problem and any possible solutions.

I purchased the new FVP 5000T box in early January, it's a great bit of kit when it actually works. I keep returning to the box to find it totally unresponsive and will not switch on. The only way to get it to work again is to unplug the power which then restarts the box.

I sent my first FVP 5000T back and got a replacement after being assured by Humax that it was not a known fault however my replacement box is doing the exact same thing.

Humax only seem interested in blaming my very expensive Sony Bravia TV as being the problem. Over the last month I've constantly been changing the TV settings on my Sony TV as instructed, disabled the Bravia-sync along with other features. I've also changed endless settings again as instructed by Humax for the FVP 5000T and yet the box keeps crashing!

I'm almost having to unplug the box on a daily basis now and I'm starting to lose my cool. To prove a point I disconnected the HDMI cable from my TV and left the box box overnight and it still crashed which clearly proves it's not my Sony TV that's the issue.

I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions. If it wasn't for the lack of alternative options then I'd be getting a refund and going elsewhere.
    I've done a fair bit of research online and found a lot of bad reviews from other people highlighting the same fault.

Thanks

| Fri 23 Feb 2018 12:37:53 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try photographing your recording schedule and do a reset to factory defaults without disk format. Mine certainly doesn't crash though it does wake up from sby about twice a day when other remotes are used.

If it still happens try disconnecting from the internet to see if it's some interaction with your router. A replacement with the same issue does seem to indicate a local issue.

If this fixes post make and model of your router and how you have the box connected to it.

Also try disabling Server and File share options in Settings - Advanced Settings.

Welcome to our forum

| Fri 23 Feb 2018 12:52:58 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Digital-Craig

grahamlthompson - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Try photographing your recording schedule and do a reset to factory defaults without disk format. Mine certainly doesn't crash though it does wake up from sby about twice a day when other remotes are used.
    If it still happens try disconnecting from the internet to see if it's some interaction with your router. A replacement with the same issue does seem to indicate a local issue.
    If this fixes post make and model of your router and how you have the box connected to it.
    Also try disabling Server and File share options in Settings - Advanced Settings.
    Welcome to our forum

Hey thanks for the quick reply.
    I've already tried a factory reset twice over the last month and it's still happening.

I've also disabled the Server and File share options and even tried it with both of them turned on and it keeps crashing.

The only thing I've not tried is to disconnect it from my router which I will try now. For info it's currently connected to a Virgin Media 3.0 hub via wireless.

If this works then brilliant however on the negative side I'll lose lots of features with no internet.

Thanks

| Fri 23 Feb 2018 13:05:07 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Digital-Craig - 2 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Welcome to our forum

Hey thanks for the quick reply.
    I've already tried a factory reset twice over the last month and it's still happening.
    I've also disabled the Server and File share options and even tried it with both of them turned on and it keeps crashing.
    The only thing I've not tried is to disconnect it from my router which I will try now. For info it's currently connected to a Virgin Media 3.0 hub via wireless.
    If this works then brilliant however on the negative side I'll lose lots of features with no internet.
    Thanks

My FVP-5000T is also connected to a Mk3 Virgin Router indirectly though.

I have a second Asus router and all my boxes are connected via a single cat 5 cable using a network switch to the Asus router network switch. The Asus has way better WiFi performance than the Virgin one.

If disconnecting WiFi sorts it out, try connecting with a long network cable to see if it's a wireless issue.

You can buy a cat 5 or cat 6 cable at many length options on e-bay.

| Fri 23 Feb 2018 13:12:35 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Hi Craig,

I returned my faulty 5000T box for a refund from Humax, and like you found myself with an appetite too sometimes record more than two channels at a time on a box with a larger drive. My solution which may seem inelegant but I very much prefer. I have two BT DTRT4000 boxes one on top of the other. I haven't reprogrammed either of the remote controls but simply use one. This means that I predominently use one box, but when wishing to record more than two programmes at a time, I use the power button on the RC and so one box switches off and the other switches on and the channels on the TV change.

It may sound clumsy, but it is only one more button press but overall I am pressing far less buttons on my Youview box than I was on the 5000T. Some posters here prefer Freeview and others Youview, it is all a matter of personal preference.

I have only posted in case you find yourself like me, returning the box but looking for an alternative solution you may not have thought of. Good Luck.

| Fri 23 Feb 2018 18:33:04 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

My 5000T is also used in conjunction with a Sony TV no problems with crashing....but connected to router (superhub 3) via cable - Will disconnect this and connect via wifi for a while to test.

| Fri 23 Feb 2018 18:34:48 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Box has been booted numerous times since change of network connection to Wi-Fi without issue.

I do note it takes a few seconds after boot for the network connected message to appear.

@ Digital-Craig when unit is unresponsive what colour is the LED on the unit?

| Sun 25 Feb 2018 8:29:56 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Digital-Craig

uk1 - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi Craig,
    I returned my faulty 5000T box for a refund from Humax, and like you found myself with an appetite too sometimes record more than two channels at a time on a box with a larger drive. My solution which may seem inelegant but I very much prefer. I have two BT DTRT4000 boxes one on top of the other. I haven't reprogrammed either of the remote controls but simply use one. This means that I predominently use one box, but when wishing to record more than two programmes at a time, I use the power button on the RC and so one box switches off and the other switches on and the channels on the TV change.
    It may sound clumsy, but it is only one more button press but overall I am pressing far less buttons on my Youview box than I was on the 5000T. Some posters here prefer Freeview and others Youview, it is all a matter of personal preference.
    I have only posted in case you find yourself like me, returning the box but looking for an alternative solution you may not have thought of. Good Luck.

Thanks, that set up is certainly interesting. I do prefer Youview over freeview. If it keeps crashing I'll consider my options.

| Sun 25 Feb 2018 18:00:54 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Digital-Craig

Barry - 9 hours ago  » 
    Box has been booted numerous times since change of network connection to Wi-Fi without issue.
    I do note it takes a few seconds after boot for the network connected message to appear.
    @ Digital-Craig when unit is unresponsive what colour is the LED on the unit?

Hey Barry,

It varies from time to time, it's been both blue and red on different occasions. Frustratingly I cannot just delete the network settings so I'll have to do another factory reset and see how I get on without the internet being connected.

The only other thing that I think could be causing problems is a powerline adapter I have connected nearby. Anyone else use a powerline adapter near this box?

| Sun 25 Feb 2018 18:05:15 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Digital-Craig - 22 minutes ago  » 

uk1 - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi Craig,

Thanks, that set up is certainly interesting. I do prefer Youview over freeview. If it keeps crashing I'll consider my options.

Hi, happy to offer the idea ... I know how desperate once can get!

If you do end up trying this approach, don't think that the difficulty in my explaining it indicates any complexity or inconvenience. It doesn't. We use the top box for viewing (my TV has a superb picture but not internal HD tuners) and for recording most programmes. If there is something else I want to record, I have the ipad app set to control the second box ie the one underneath so I'm adding programmes to record without interrupting what wife is watching. I'm really please with how this approach works because I have a four tuner 2tb Youview setup.

I would prefer a 5000T Youview box but until then this is a perfectly acceptable and easy alternative where I feel that some added advantages far outwheighs any very minor inconvenience.

| Sun 25 Feb 2018 18:29:54 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.