My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 5000T Initial Impressions

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

Purchased a refurbished FVP 5000T from Humax Direct a week ago and have been running the unit in parallel with my existing HDR 18000T for comparison purposes with view to replacement when evaluated and familiar with the new operating system.
    Decided on the FVP 5000T as impressed by the 3 tuner recording capabilities and thought the later model would be a suitable replacement for my now ageing HDR 18000T, not impressed to date.

1/ The video quality through the FVP 5000T is "dull" on live TV, lacks contrast by comparison to the HDR 18000T or direct TV, all relevent HDMI & co-axial cables have been substituted and firmware updated to latest.

2/ The GUI is painfully slow, I appreciate that this is a known and much reported issue but did not expect it to be so slow.
    I use a Technomate digital modulator on my system with remote IR control capability, this by nature is subject to a control response delay, acceptable with my HDR 1800T but painful with the FVP 5000T.

3/ Not all video formats play on the FVP 5000T via my LAN NAS, ethernet cable connected, all play perfectly on the HDR 1800T and the formats in question are listed as compatable in the FVP 5000T manual.

4/ A USB connected (powered SATA interface) HD connected to the HDR 1800T has always worked perfectly with respect to program transfer in either direction and playing stored files, the same connection to the FVP 5000T is to say the least unpredictable, some archives will "sometimes" transfer in one direction but not the other, some will play, some won't !

5/ Ethernet cable connection of the FVP 5000T to my LAN results in all my Win 10 explorer network device listings disappearing.
    This is probably hard to believe and I accept that this is a well documented and long standing Microsoft program issue which they have yet to fix, however, there is a third party work around for the issue which has always reliably worked and still does provided the FVP 5000T is not cable connected to the network !

Can't see that my FVP 5000T will ever be any more than an "additional recorder" on my system even that being limited by the ability to reliably transfer recordings to USB HD should longer term archiving be required.
    I certainly won't be removing my old trusty HDR 1800T from service.

I don't honestly think I have a faulty unit but I could be wrong ?

| Sun 11 Oct 2020 11:59:04 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

tiffy2 - 2 mins ago  » 1/ The video quality through the FVP 5000T is "dull" on live TV, lacks contrast by comparison to the HDR 18000T or direct TV, all relevent HDMI & co-axial cables have been substituted and firmware updated to latest.

You may need to make adjustments to the colour/contrast/brightness for the specific HDMI input on your TV.

Some have adjustments which work for each input, others may just have one setup that does every input.

| Sun 11 Oct 2020 12:04:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tiffy2 - 45 mins ago  » 
    Can't see that my FVP 5000T will ever be any more than an "additional recorder" on my system even that being limited by the ability to reliably transfer recordings to USB HD should longer term archiving be required.

Have you tried both USB ports on the FVP-5000T? Are you aware that you can transfer and decrypt recordings direct to a Windows 10 PC; see https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer

| Sun 11 Oct 2020 12:48:33 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

You may need to make adjustments to the colour/contrast/brightness for the specific HDMI input on your TV.

Some have adjustments which work for each input, others may just have one setup that does every input.

On my particular TV, a JVC smart, video quality parameters can not be individually set for each HDMI port.
    Substitution of the PVR connections to each HDMI port produce the same results so i'am inclined to believe that the decrease in video quality is across the FVP 5000T PVR.

| Sun 11 Oct 2020 13:11:30 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

Have you tried both USB ports on the FVP-5000T? Are you aware that you can transfer and decrypt recordings direct to a Windows 10 PC; see https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer

No, only the rear USB port.

As reported in original post, the FVP 5000T does not appear in Explorer on my Win 10 desktop PC nor does any other LAN device as long as the PVR is cable connected to my LAN.
    Yes, I can access the FVP 5000T by IP address but PC access is not really of interest to me, would just like a reliable means of transferring programs to and from my USB attached HD, a process which works perfectly on my old HDR 1800T.

| Sun 11 Oct 2020 13:25:02 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tiffy2 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yes, I can access the FVP 5000T by IP address but PC access is not really of interest to me, would just like a reliable means of transferring programs to and from my USB attached HD, a process which works perfectly on my old HDR 1800T.

I don't understand why you don't find it of interest? Transferring across the LAN and saving to the USB drive attached to the PC will be much quicker than transferring to the USB drive attached direct to the FVP.

| Sun 11 Oct 2020 14:32:43 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

I don't understand why you don't find it of interest? Transferring across the LAN and saving to the USB drive attached to the PC will be much quicker than transferring to the USB drive attached direct to the FVP.

I just find it annoying that a simple USB to HD transfer process which works perfectly on my old HDR 1800T PVR and could be easily used by any family member withour having to resort to "more complex to most" PC/LAN based operations, won't work reliably on a much later, supposedly improved PVR.
    Yes, USB program transfer in either direction is a slow process but I never found this annoying as the files can be queued and the process left to work away in the background.

| Sun 11 Oct 2020 18:26:36 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tiffy2 - 2 hours ago  » 

I just find it annoying that a simple USB to HD transfer process which works perfectly on my old HDR 1800T PVR and could be easily used by any family member withour having to resort to "more complex to most" PC/LAN based operations, won't work reliably on a much later, supposedly improved PVR. That will work on your older box but not on the new box.

Try a PM to me.
    Yes, USB program transfer in either direction is a slow process but I never found this annoying as the files can be queued and the process left to work away in the background.

Down to freesat restrictions re HD recordings and encryption of HD recordings on the newer boxes. There are fixes for this but cannot discuss this here.

| Sun 11 Oct 2020 21:24:00 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.