My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-5000T Internal Hard Disk problem

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Ah, I may have misread the original question. I thought you’d already got the internal disk out.

The encryption is not changed by upgrading or downgrading the software. If it was, everyone would complain every time there is an upgrade.

You cannot take a disk out if one machine and expect to play those files on another Humax - or anywhere else for that matter. In theory SD files can be saved from the internal disk to a USB drive. Such files are decrypted on copy and the associated files are updated accordingly. In practice, it can take such a long time you’d get fed up. HD files are almost impossible to copy and certainly not with valid hjm etc files.

| Mon 3 Oct 2022 14:34:15 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

EEPhil - 2 hours ago  » 
    In theory SD files can be saved from the internal disk to a USB drive. Such files are decrypted on copy and the associated files are updated accordingly.

A decrypted SD .ts file can be obtained quite quickly via the DLNA server.

| Mon 3 Oct 2022 16:49:26 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Martin Liddle - 14 hours ago  » 

EEPhil - 2 hours ago  » 
    In theory SD files can be saved from the internal disk to a USB drive. Such files are decrypted on copy and the associated files are updated accordingly.

A decrypted SD .ts file can be obtained quite quickly via the DLNA server.

I use it all the time.
    I omitted it because I thought the OP was interested in saving all the sidecar files so that they would show up in the Recordings folder.

| Tue 4 Oct 2022 7:13:48 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

TW8

EEPhil wrote : I thought you’d already got the internal disk out.

Yes I have. I replaced the original 500GB Seagate drive with an uninitialised 1TB WD green. As the PVR didn't recognise that either I removed it this morning. The PVR is now devoid of any internal drive. Sorry, I misread your reply thinking you meant me to copy files using the PVR menu. On re-reading, I realised you were demonstrating how the 5000T would save a file to a flash so I could mimic its behaviour. I apologise for being dumb and thank you for your instructions.

In reply to :

Martin Liddle : ... the key is derived from the box serial number and the MAC address so is unique to each box

and :

EEPhil : The encryption is not changed by upgrading or downgrading the software.

In light of this info I tried again, and in the early hours of this morning the 5000T sucessfully played an origional recording using a flash drive. Yippee! I'm very pleased that her recording are not lost. On Friday and assuming the 3.5" HDD caddy arrives, I will pop the former internal drive in and see if all her recordings appear. Maybe I'll considder copying the files to a 2.5" external drive so the PVR can power it via USB. The PVR is now dead as a recorder but if all goes well, she can at least see what she's already recorded before the device becomes landfill.

Thanks Martin for tip on DLNA server method of decrypting SD files. I will give that a go. My only wish is to save the recordings in a way that she can watch them. Initially having the files show up in the recording menu is great, but I guess she will want a replacement PVR way before getting though her recordings cache therefore the SD files will need to be decrypted to play on a newer device. I bewail the loss of recording portability enforced on manufacturers by having to use rancid DRM! Bring back VHS!

I will let you know what happens Friday with the caddy.

| Tue 4 Oct 2022 15:20:52 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

TW8

Putting the original HDD into a caddy didn't work. I probably could have made it work by renaming the folder containg the files to ".recordings". Instead I opted to copy all the recordings to a 2.5" external drive, this had previously been inserted into the 5000T which so it had already created ".recordings" directory.

After 6 hours, rsync completed so I plugged drive into the 5000T. Following a minute of no activity, the HDD LED sprung into light then started flashing. Fairly soon 255 programmes populated the recordings menu. I test played a couple including one that had been "chunked", sucessfully. I very pleased with this result!

If it wasn't for your help and insight, I probably would have given up so thank you!

| Sun 9 Oct 2022 12:03:35 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Glad to see you've managed to recover some/most/all of your recordings. Always suspected that folders ending .ts contained chunks (they do on the 2000T). I can't access the contents via ftp, although they will play and stream properly (unlike the 2000T).

| Sun 9 Oct 2022 13:25:30 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

TW8

I haven't been able to check if all the recordings are there yet. I can't see any HD flags but maybe she didn't record anything in HD? I've always advised her not to record HD due to the extra space it takes. I'm currently installing Debian 11 again (which is taking forever). When done I will mount the old disk, and check how many *.ts files there are (excluding those in the folders). I'm sure she will be happy with what has been salvaged regardless. The only thing that makes me suspicious is the number of recordings being 255. Takes me back to 8-bit where 255 is the largest number. I'm sure that the 5000T can could higher than that though

When transferring files between my two Foxsat HDRs, I use a flash drive formatted to EXT4 if the filesize is over 4GB. I presume file "chunks" is the way Humax got around the FAT32 limitation?

| Sun 9 Oct 2022 17:25:49 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Can be larger than 255. I've had around 350 on mine at one point. Not sure there is any obvious distinction in the filestore between HD and SD recordings, apart from size. You may have already moved some!

| Mon 10 Oct 2022 7:22:20 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JW.LEES

Hi, I have the FVP-5000T 1TB model with a similar fault, my problem is I cannot format the hard drive, the playback options and storage are greyed out. I have reset to factory defaults but still the same. The reason I want to format the hard drive is because when I playback a recording the following message comes up “Cannot Support This Video File Due To Invalid File Format” I also fitted a new A/V hard drive but still the same. I would appreciate your advice please before I use it as a Frisbee.
    Kind Regards. Alec

| Mon 10 Oct 2022 8:14:50 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

TW8

EEPhil » 
    Can be larger than 255. I've had around 350 on mine at one point. Not sure there is any obvious distinction in the filestore between HD and SD recordings, apart from size. You may have already moved some!

You may well be right that I've unknowingly copied some HD files over already. As for the file count vs previously mentioned 255 programmes listed in the recordings list. The original files are in partition 2 "Recordings" directory has 252 *.nts files, 252 *.hjts files and 255 *.hjm files and 7 seemingly random 6 letter/number extensions. I guess are all recordings are there then

| Mon 10 Oct 2022 12:51:41 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.