My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 5000T - Missing programme start times

(24 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Suspect you may have too strong a signal. If you have any amplification in the system dating from pre-dso try removing it.

Otherwise fit a variable signal attenuator and reduce the signal level to say around 80% when viewing a HD channel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/190326860909?chn=ps&dispctrl=0&adgroupid=49522719561&rlsatarget=pla-380358659650&abcId=1128966&adtype=pla&merchantid=7286084&poi=&googleloc=1007011&device=c&campaignid=857333925&crdt=0

The FVP-5000T has tuners capable of working with low signal levels, if faced with too high a signal level they can be overloaded and the resulting distortion can create reception issues.

Note the signal level shown in my earlier post.

You should have mentioned this much earlier as it points to the likely fundamental problem.

Too much signal level since the closure of analogue creates more problems than too low a signal. The transmitter power at the closure of analogue was increased to the point where the high gain aerials and amplifiers we had to get digital TV are no longer needed.

| Mon 18 Dec 2017 22:51:18 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

gramps

Had I thought it relevant I would of course have mentioned the use of a signal amplifier.

I have just removed the amplifier from the co-ax and now have a reading of Signal Strength = 79% and Signal Quality = 100% but that takes us back to where we were in regard to the unreliability of HD Channels ... momentary loss of signal, with associated on-screen error notification or 'tearing' of pixel blocks across the picture.

| Mon 18 Dec 2017 23:26:26 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gramps - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Had I thought it relevant I would of course have mentioned the use of a signal amplifier.
    I have just removed the amplifier from the co-ax and now have a reading of Signal Strength = 79% and Signal Quality = 100% but that takes us back to where we were in regard to the unreliability of HD Channels ... momentary loss of signal, with associated on-screen error notification or 'tearing' of pixel blocks across the picture.

Is there a remotely powered masthead amplifier in the system. Do you have a small box close to the aerial with a remote power supply plugged in somewhere else ?

Try seperating your HDMI connection from your box to the TV as far as possible from the aerial connections. HDMI can knock out specific frequencies when cheap poorly screened coax interconnects are used.

Ideally use use double screened satellite grade cables for the coax connections close to the hdmi connections.

If you can connect your box to the TV using the analogue outputs try removing the HDMI cable at both ends to positively identify the problem.

| Mon 18 Dec 2017 23:49:38 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

gramps

Thank you
    There is no remotely powered masthead amplifier.
    I suspect that the co-ax used from the aerial to the Humax box is very basic but it does have a connector where it enters the house. The cable run from the connector just inside the house to the Humax box could be replaced with screened satellite cable with minimum fuss as it runs under the floor and could be pulled through.
    I will investigate the option of using the analogue outputs.

| Tue 19 Dec 2017 8:53:04 #24 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.