My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP4000T hard drive will not reformat

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawrencewp

Does anyone else have this problem. The only way I can get the drive to format is to delete all partitions with a PC, then reinstall the disc in the Humax. It will then format normally and everything is fine - except it will not reformat a second or third time. I have tried a replacement drive which exhibits the same symptoms. Is this a generic fault with the FVP4000T, or is it peculiar to my machine?
    I also have an FVP5000T which I'd like to try but am reluctant to loose all recordings just to find out if this has the same issue. Incidentally is there any real difference between the two machines other than cosmetic? They seem to behave exactly the same to me and obviously run identical software.

| Fri 11 Sep 2020 16:43:00 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

lawrencewp - 7 mins ago  » 
    It will then format normally and everything is fine - except it will not reformat a second or third time. I have tried a replacement drive which exhibits the same symptoms. Is this a generic fault with the FVP4000T, or is it peculiar to my machine?

Do you get an error message when you attempt to format; if so what does it say? Why do you need to format so frequently? Next time you have it attached to the PC could you use something like Crystal Diskinfo to look at the SMART data and post the results here so we can see the health of the drive.

Incidentally is there any real difference between the two machines other than cosmetic? They seem to behave exactly the same to me and obviously run identical software.

They are very similar (early FVP-5000T were shipped with motherboards labelled FVP-4000T). My view is that it was a marketing attempt by Humax to get away from the terrible reputation of the FVP-4000T.

| Fri 11 Sep 2020 16:56:58 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawrencewp

Thanks for quick reply. Basically the machine works fine, recordings are reliable and I can delete recordings individually. However I wanted to sell the machine, so decided to do a reset and reformat, so that the new owner could start from scratch.
    The built in disc check reports no errors, but when I try and reformat I get a message saying "cannot format hdd cannot format the storage due to unknown error". Sometimes after multiple attempts it succeeds in formatting. And it always seems to work when I start off with a fresh disc, or one that has had all data and formatting removed. Obviously I only need to reformat once, but I'd like to be confident that the new owner has the ability to do this via the menus - and not by having to first remove the drive.

| Fri 11 Sep 2020 17:58:08 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

lawrencewp - 15 mins ago  » 
    Obviously I only need to reformat once, but I'd like to be confident that the new owner has the ability to do this via the menus - and not by having to first remove the drive.

I have never formatted the drive in my FVP-5000T so I don't have any personal experience however I don't recollect seeing this problem reported previously. Plenty of people have been advised to format their drive so I suspect there is something slightly odd about your box. Hopefully someone else here will have an idea about what is going on.

| Fri 11 Sep 2020 18:20:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mash

I have exactly the same problem. I purchased a used Humax 5000 T and the hard drive had been used 90% of its capacity.

I want to reformat the drive but unfortunately it is saying that it can’t do this due to an unknown error. Is the only way to remove the hard drive reformat on a computer and then put back in the device.

| Sun 6 Feb 2022 9:35:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mash

Here is the error

Attachments

1. CABB6C35-E5E2-4E73-971A-A6AC397FF405..jpeg (254.6 KB, 1 downloads) 2 years old
    | Sun 6 Feb 2022 9:37:35 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Mash - 4 mins ago  » 
    I want to reformat the drive but unfortunately it is saying that it can’t do this due to an unknown error. Is the only way to remove the hard drive reformat on a computer and then put back in the device.

I can't think of any other way to do it. Whilst you have the drive removed it would be worth looking at the SMART data from the hard drive (using something like Crystal Diskinfo) to get an understanding of the health of the drive.

| Sun 6 Feb 2022 9:42:12 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mash

Thanks Martin. Just for clarity what format do I format the drive as before I reinstall into the Humax. I am using a Mac, but I think I have a choice of how to initialise/format.

I think I read somewhere that the operating software isn’t on the main storage HD.

| Sun 6 Feb 2022 9:57:23 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Mash - 59 mins ago  » 
    Just for clarity what format do I format the drive as before I reinstall into the Humax. I am using a Mac, but I think I have a choice of how to initialise/format.

It doesn't matter what format you use (because the Humax will hopefully reformat the drive automatically when reinstalled) but you want to do what Windows calls a full format; not sure what the Mac equivalent is but if it formats the drive in a few minutes you can be pretty confident it wasn't a full format.

I think I read somewhere that the operating software isn’t on the main storage HD.

Correct, the firmware is in flash RAM on the motherboard. The hard drive has the recorded data, the cached EPG data, time shift buffer and space for use by the various streamed content players,

| Sun 6 Feb 2022 11:03:39 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mash

I changed the hard drive for a WD 1TB. I formatted in the Mac as ExFat. Installed the drive, selected Humax to resent to factory default and reformat the drive. It seemed to work and all good so far!

| Mon 7 Feb 2022 8:47:55 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.