My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP4000T in-store advice surprise

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Just for info and interest really - I was in the Indian food store this morning (killing a bit of time whilst the wife looked around some dress shops ) I was looking at the "steak pies" also known as the FVP 4000T when I was approached by a sales person - not the usual spotty faced variety but a much older chap.

He asked me if I was interested in the 4000T, I responded that I was just looking. He then startled me by saying that I should carry on looking though not buying as they have had quite a few returned by their owners who just can't get them to work properly.

He went on to say that I would be fine with any of the other Humax models or even the Panasonic with Free Play but to steer clear of the 4000T for the time being.

| Fri 22 Jan 2016 17:29:21 #1 |
  2. Davygogs

Davygogs

More than happy with mine so far but t`is early days!

| Fri 22 Jan 2016 17:49:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Uh huh. They're so famous for their knowledgeable staff.

| Fri 22 Jan 2016 18:05:50 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 6 hours ago  » 
    Uh huh. They're so famous for their knowledgeable staff.

I never buy anything from them James. However, given he wasn't trying to sell me anything then why would he say they have had quite a few returns and to look at any of the other Humax's should I wish to buy a PVR? It doesn't make sense and it does tend to reflect a lot of the adverse publicity the product is having on this forum.

It doesn't affect me one way or the other, I was simply sharing the info.

| Sat 23 Jan 2016 0:30:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

It's not info though, is it, it's just an opinion from a Curry's salesperson who apparently isn't even personally familiar with the box. It doesn't matter whether it was his genuine opinion which he was genuinely sharing with you - he simply doesn't have access to information about how many FVP4000T boxes have been sold and many have been returned and why. He may like to sound as if he knows, but he doesn't.

It's early days for the FVP4000T, and actually there haven't been that many problems reported - nothing like the disastrous YouView launch. I'm biding my time a bit longer, but if nothing worse than I've heard so far crops up, I'll probably give it a try.

| Sat 23 Jan 2016 10:21:28 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Look at other Humax products..

OK - which other models are FVP compatible?

Err - what's that, oh none!

Panny you say, and how much is that?

Well guv tis your lucky day, usually 40 quid more then the Humax but we have it on special offer at the moment so slightly cheaper.

Special offer you say, of course you would not be pushing that manufacturer because of the offer/promotion or perhaps maybe you get more commission

Tell me what is the warranty on panny?

12 months guv, same as usual for this sort of stuff

Only 12, The Humax is 24 months if you register the unit with them!

| Sat 23 Jan 2016 11:11:45 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Panny you say, and how much is that?

Well guv tis your lucky day, usually 40 quid more then the Humax but we have it on special offer at the moment so slightly cheaper.

Nail on head - £5 cheaper

| Sat 23 Jan 2016 11:32:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Faust - 19 hours ago  » ...He went on to say that I would be fine with any of the other Humax models or even the Panasonic with Free Play but to steer clear of the 4000T for the time being.

JamesB - 3 hours ago  » ...I'm biding my time a bit longer, but if nothing worse than I've heard so far crops up, I'll probably give it a try.

Seems like you two are in complete agreement

btw... liked the bit about the Indian food store, had me confused initially, a classic

| Sat 23 Jan 2016 13:29:13 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I'm not one of nature's early adopters. Unless it's a freebie.

Some boxes, like the DTR-T1000, will never be worth the money (IMO) no matter how long you wait - but an improved version may be released, viz., the DTR-T2000.

Fortunately, like a lot of others, I got the DTR-T1000 for free. Since there aren't any FVP4000Ts going free, I'll hang on to my money a bit longer to see if there's any bad news.

| Sat 23 Jan 2016 13:59:29 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I bought the HDR1000S at launch, £299 for the 1TB model, only to see it reduce by around £70 after the first year. I was essentially compelled to go that route by being in a Freeview Lite area, hence satellite required, and the wish to have a PVR but unwilling to pay Sky. There then followed a year of constant problems with a buggy, badly designed UI, followed by another year of Freesat releasing updates each of which introduced new problems. I work from home so constant cries from the living area of... this box of yours is faulty again! Recently after three years I felt confident enough to buy three HBs and lucky enough to get two of them at £35 each plus p&p. So now I'm good and hope to stay that way for a while. Reading the experiences of the FVP box I can't think of anything that might steer me to being an early adopter of Humax products ever again.

| Sat 23 Jan 2016 14:20:33 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.