My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP4000T Picture Sharpness Control

(26 posts)
  1. graham uk

graham uk

special member

FVP4000T. I do find the picture quality a little soft, it would be good if there was a picture adjustment to sharpen the image. This is a normal option on all televisions...or is it there and I have missed it.

Perhaps another OS update this could be added please.

| Mon 16 Jul 2018 7:45:20 #1 |
  2. RogerB

RogerB

special member

I thought it was my eyesight R-

| Mon 16 Jul 2018 7:56:53 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

graham uk - 2 hours ago  » 
    FVP4000T. I do find the picture quality a little soft, it would be good if there was a picture adjustment to sharpen the image. This is a normal option on all televisions...or is it there and I have missed it.
    Perhaps another OS update this could be added please.

There is no picture adjustment, you will find these on your TV though most of them will make the picture worse. HD channel pictures are excellent on my Panasonic TV from my 5000T. Some of the SD channels use only 544 x 576 resolution so these will have very poor quality pictures.

| Mon 16 Jul 2018 9:58:37 #3 |
  4. graham uk

graham uk

special member

grahamlthompson. Recent new Sony TV 43XE8005 setup to give best picture but the 4000T regardless still produces a soft image.
    We have 3 TV's and all show soft image from 4000T

I'm sure Humax could add an option to add sharpness adjustment.

| Mon 16 Jul 2018 13:09:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

One positive thing that can be said about the Humax boxes is the picture output is superb, pin sharp. 1 x HDR1000S and 3 x HB1000S, all set to 1080P output. I would be surprised if the 4000T was any different. What is your video output setting? Is your problem occurring on all channels (including HD), or confined to certain channels?

| Mon 16 Jul 2018 13:53:41 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 50 minutes ago  » 
    One positive thing that can be said about the Humax boxes is the picture output is superb, pin sharp. 1 x HDR1000S and 3 x HB1000S, all set to 1080P output. I would be surprised if the 4000T was any different. What is your video output setting? Is your problem occurring on all channels (including HD), or confined to certain channels?

The FVP boxes have near identical pictures to the G2 Freesat boxes. Both mine are set to output 1080p.

| Mon 16 Jul 2018 14:45:33 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

graham uk - 1 hour ago  » 
    grahamlthompson. Recent new Sony TV 43XE8005 setup to give best picture but the 4000T regardless still produces a soft image.
    We have 3 TV's and all show soft image from 4000T
    I'm sure Humax could add an option to add sharpness adjustment.

You do realise that modern TV's have seperate settings for each input ? If the TV was set up on a different input or when using it's own tuner then the HDMI ports will not be altered. This allows the best settings for individual sources to be used.

Which model Sony TV is it ? Some of the cheaper ones are made in Turkey by Vestel and the picture quality isn't very good.

| Mon 16 Jul 2018 14:48:24 #7 |
  8. graham uk

graham uk

special member

grahamlthompson. TV is 43XE8005 release 2017. Picture quality is very good.
    You have giving me something I did not realize that different HDMI inputs can be individually adjusted....I must look into this.

All reply's appreciated.

| Mon 16 Jul 2018 17:16:40 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

graham uk - 3 hours ago  » 
    grahamlthompson. TV is 43XE8005 release 2017. Picture quality is very good.
    You have giving me something I did not realize that different HDMI inputs can be individually adjusted....I must look into this.
    All reply's appreciated.

There is a good reason for not messing with the decoded output of a HDMI connected external source (hence no processing options).

Hence any adjustments should be down to the display, otherwise you get double processing which can seriously degrade what in the first place is a excellent decoded stream. So far you haven't told us which channels you think are somewhat soft and what you are using as a source to determine the difference. If a Freeview-HD tuner the difference has to be down to the TV settings.

Digital TV is heavily compressed using a lossy compression technique that throws away a lot of the video content you would have got on a former analogue source. The final result depends on a number of factors.

The efficiency of the compression codecs used. The available bitrate and the way the available bitrate is shared between the channels carried on the multiplex.

The main PSB HD multiplex on Freeview carries the five main HD PSB channels. The higher the bitrate the better rapidly changing content between frames is handled. The total bitrate of the mux is dynamically varied according to content giving the best possible picture quality.

Freeview-HD uses the H264/AVC codec for video and AAC audio (recoded to Dolby Digital for compability) Audio for audio.

The decoder in the box recreates the original 25 fps video stream and if 1080p is selected, upscales a SD stream to 1920 x 1080 pixels, and frame doubles the stream by looking at adjacent pixels. A HD source already has 1920 x 1080 pixels so only the frame rate is doubled.

The scaling and frame doubling on the latest Humax boxes is excellent.

Both the FVP boxes and the G2 Freesat boxes have excellent pictures compared to earlier Humax boxes.

Simple example all pvr's stream the raw digital data from the broadcast straight to the hard disk (possibly encrypting it as it is copied to disk).

Thanks to custom firmware my Foxsat-HDR is capable of streaming it's recordings to a G2 Freesat box.

When streamed the picture quality is a lot sharper than when viewed directly from the Foxsat-HDR.

Depending on the TV you may be able to copy the settings on the source you like to to the HDMI input used by the 4000T.

As always read the TV manual (you may need to turn on the advanced options).

I notice that your TV is a 4K model, that means unless you have 4K source your TV needs to quadruple the number of pixels to even display a Full-HD source and much more for a SD source. Depending on how far you away from the TV it's not surprising you are seeing the limitations of inventing the missing pixels. Perhaps you should have bought a quality full-HD TV.

| Mon 16 Jul 2018 21:08:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

I'm often astonished at the extent and detail of your knowledge, grahamlthompson, but who would have guessed that one could actually end up with a worse picture on a 4K TV?

I'll certainly remember your advice when I finally have to replace my ageing but much-loved Panasonic.

I can't believe we're not paying you!

| Mon 16 Jul 2018 22:06:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.