My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP5000T - channels and iPlayer

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gollom

Hi all - thanks for having me!

Just got one of these to replace a TalkTalk box (DN372T) and must say not impressed so far!

Firstly I can only get 131 channels - the TT box received 154 (same cables & aerial) Key ones missing are DMAX and Quest

Secondly iPlayer askes me to log in but when I try on my laptop with the code etc, nothing happens

Any thoughts please? Cheers!

| Sat 28 Jan 2023 17:39:10 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gollom

My transmitter is Winter Hill (PR2)

| Sat 28 Jan 2023 22:45:03 #2 |
  3. prking

prking

Late last year Quest moved to COM 6 and DMAX is also on COM 6 so it looks like you aren’t receiving that multiplex. (Channel 37)

| Sat 28 Jan 2023 23:21:15 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

Freeview is always opening, closing or shifting channels.
    Perhaps you did not retune your Talk Talk box and with the new 5000T box being newly tuned you are
    now seeing the differences.

If you did an auto tune on the 5000T the box would have picked up signals from your nearest transmitter and
    possibly any transmitter(s) slightly further away. This can lead to the channel order being slightly jumbled and
    some channels appearing I'm the 800's.

I always do a manual tune so the box is only receiving from one transmitter with the strongest signal.

Click here, https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/detailed-transmitter-information
    Enter your postcode and house number, press check.

The next page willl show a table of 'most likely transmitter' and alternative transmitters.
    Below that will be Coverage Prediction.

The below tables will show transmitter information including the channels/ multiplexes (mux) it broadcasts.
    Select which transmitter is nearest to you or which you are in clearer sight of.
    (my nearest transmitter is 17 miles away but my house has a clearer path to a transmitter 40 miles away
    and that is what I tune to)
    In the table you will see an N in a black circle, the number under that is the mux number.
    Each mux carries several TV channels and/ or radio broadcasts.
    Please make a special note of the mux under the BBC B label this is the mux that carries the HD broadcasts.

Now manually tune your 5000T.
    Disconnect the aerial from the box. With the aerial out do an automatic tune, this will clear the channels from the box.
    Connect the aerial.
    Navigate through the Settings to Manual Search.
    At Channel enter one of the muxes you want to search for, press search.
    Once the mux has been searched press Save. Do the same for each mux.
    All SD muxes should be done with the Transmission field set to DVB-T,
    for the HD mux Transmission should be set to DVB-T2.

The Strength and Quality meters will let you know if the mux chosen is receiving a signal.
    In general the Strength should be below 100%, if the strength is too high this can cause drop outs and pixellation of the broadcast.
    If the strength is 100% and causing signal interruptions you may find an attenuator (variable) of benefit.
    They are quite cheap, you just plug the aerial cable into the attenuator and then have another aerial cable connected to the attenuator
    then to the box. Use the potentiometer on the attenuator to reduce the signal strength to 90-95%.

| Sun 29 Jan 2023 9:24:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Gollom - 13 hours ago  » 
    My transmitter is Winter Hill (PR2)

The Winter Hill transmitter transmits what Humax freeview boxes normally refer to as 131 "TV Channels" and 33 "Radio channels.

1/ The channel retune option has a "Smart" option that does not always get it right. Have you tried retuning without that option selected?
    2/ If that fails I would personally action a factory reset and then retune without using the smart option.
    3/ And if that fails then a manually retune as suggested by VitaminD, making sure that all TV and Radio channels had been removed before tuning the 7 individual frequencies.

Also have you checked the high channel numbers on the 5000T to see if it has pushed the missing channels down your channel list?

I use to own a DN372T but I'm struggling to remember whether it includes the radio channels in its count, but that would only add up if it was failing to receive the local multiplex.

| Sun 29 Jan 2023 12:09:15 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gollom

Many thanks for the replies - Manual Tune did the trick! I had actually tried it previously, but did not realise I needed to repeat for each channel and then save each as the effect is cumulative.
    Also managed to login to iPlayer - didn't like me trying via my laptop, but was fine with my mobile. Most odd!

Two more questions if I may, neither of which are deal breakers - just curious

I have an LG soundbar connected to my LG TV using HDMI-ARC. Sound plays from the Humax through the bar OK, but volume control with the Humax acts differently in terms of volume levels and on-screen icon to my TV/TT box (HDMI-CEC is set to on) Anything I'm missing?

Love how it tells me that HD is available if I try to record something on SD BBC channels or C5. Does not do the same on ITV or C4 though - that the box or the channels?

Help appreciated

| Sun 29 Jan 2023 14:36:14 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

Press the F(reeview) button on the remote, go to Settings on the top menu.
    Click on General Settings> Audio> HDMI.
    There are two choices Stereo or Dolby Digital.
    If set to stereo you will be able to use the Volume control on the Humax remote with its
    own on screen graphic.
    If set to Dolby Digital pressing the Volume buttons on the Humax remote will show the on screen
    graphic but will not control the sound. You will have to use the TVs remote to adjust the Volume,
    and will see the TVs Volume graphic.

The reminder when selecting a recording on an SD channel with a HD recording available is a good feature.
    I am noticing today that on my 5000T am offered the HD recording option on BBC1, BBC4 and C5, but not with
    ITV, Ch4 or BBC2.

I also have a Humax Aura and it will offer me if selecting to record on a SD channel to Go To HD on BBC1, BBC2,
    BBC4 and C5, but not with ITV or Ch4.

Not sure if it is due to the broadcaster or the box.

| Sun 29 Jan 2023 15:27:17 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Gollom - 1 hour ago  » 
    Love how it tells me that HD is available if I try to record something on SD BBC channels or C5. Does not do the same on ITV or C4 though - that the box or the channels?

It is up to the broadcaster.
    The 4000T/5000T uses a standard freeview process for this. The process relies on the metadata behind the freeview epg supporting this function. Only the BBC and C5 supply this.

Gollom - 1 hour ago  » 
    Many thanks for the replies - Manual Tune did the trick! I had actually tried it previously, but did not realise I needed to repeat for each channel and then save each as the effect is cumulative.

There are a few main transmitters where it is possible to just search for the HD mux with the "Network Search" option to "On", but this does not work for all transmitters, and with most locations won't work and/or will create a mess of the retune.
    It is usually a lot easier to just presume that the "Network Search" option will not work, and manually tune into each multiplex separately with the "Network Search" option set to "Off".

| Sun 29 Jan 2023 16:19:46 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gollom

Still have trouble with channel 37 - it no longer picks up any channels at all even on manual search. My aerial must be OK as the TT box picks up Quest/DMAX etc. no problem

Any thoughts please. All the other channels seem fine

Edit:SORTED!

Will leave here for others though - the aerial plug looked fine with no stray wires etc. but I cut it off and re-attached. All seems fine now

| Tue 7 Feb 2023 12:52:56 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Gollom - 4 hours ago  » 
    Edit:SORTED!
    Will leave here for others though - the aerial plug looked fine with no stray wires etc. but I cut it off and re-attached. All seems fine now

Excellent. I never ceased to be amazed that a poor connection or a kink in a cable can create a notch filter that will make a multiplex inaccessible but it certainly happens as you have discovered.

| Tue 7 Feb 2023 17:44:03 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.