My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP5000T fails to recognise external hard disk

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brian_B

Hi there, this is my first post.

I bought the FVP5000T a few months ago and am very pleased with it after a failed BT Internet Humax box.

I have now bought two 1Tb Seagate expansion+ external hard drives, but they fail to bring up the screen showing media icons, nor can they be seen by going through to the Media section.

My friends 500g memory stick which is formatted NTFS is recognised immediately.

Mine are preformatted by seagate and contain some files from Seagate (various tools)
    and are formatted EXFAT which I would have thought would be more likely to work than NTFS so I haven't tried changing this.

It says in the manual to try adding the external power to the hard drive so I tried this to no avail, although to be honest, the operation light is on, on the hard disks, without the power lead.

It also says that drives over 1TB may be problematic but these are not.

I see one or two threads pointing to issues but no definitive answer on which format should be used, any known issues or compatibility.

The only thing I can add is that my HP laptop recognizes these drives without problems and sees them as USB devices but looking through the drive properties in control panel, it does say they are scsi drives. I wonder if that would make a difference or if thats all virtual anyway? Any help appreciated.

| Sun 9 May 2021 16:52:03 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Try reformatting one to ntfs and see how you go.
    I have a 2tb WD plugged in and it was recognised immediately but I have no idea what the file format is (but I suspect ntfs).

| Sun 9 May 2021 17:43:55 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

iron

The FVP5000 will recognise both NTFS and FAT32 formatted disks. FAT32 is a complete waste of time for a video recorder as files may exceed the size limit of 4GB. The only realistic option is to reformat your disk to NTFS.

| Sun 9 May 2021 21:54:59 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Brian_B - 5 hours ago  » 
    Mine are preformatted by seagate and contain some files from Seagate (various tools)
    and are formatted EXFAT which I would have thought would be more likely to work than NTFS so I haven't tried changing this.

To quote the manual for the FVP-5000T:

Note:
    • Use USB storage devices formatted by ext3, FAT or
    NTFS only.

Not strictly true as ext2 and FAT32 are very likely ( ) to be recognised.

| Sun 9 May 2021 22:55:27 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brian_B

It was NTFS, NTFS worked after all, and I never needed the external power supply I went and bought. thanks I was hesitant to ty it because NTFS is a windows format and I swear my manual doesn't mention the formats as quoted above.

| Tue 11 May 2021 12:41:31 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Brian_B - 4 hours ago  » 
    I was hesitant to ty it because NTFS is a windows format and I swear my manual doesn't mention the formats as quoted above.

In my manual is it on page 16 headed "Media via USB/Hard drive"; first note in the section headed "Playing files from storage devices".

| Tue 11 May 2021 17:41:39 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.