My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVR-4000T screen extents

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

humax4000t_user

I am using composite video out on my FVP 4000T (the TV does not have HDMI in) and the picture is not the right size. I am missing information off the edge of the screen (only a little but its annoying that I can barely see the volume bar on the right or the page text on the left).
    How do I tweak the picture size to make it fit my TV (I have other set top boxes and they don't exihibit this problem on this TV). I searched the menus in "Setting" to no avail.
    Thanks,
    Richard
    FVR-4000T
    software version 1.00.59

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 11:52:30 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. This would normally be a setting on the TV setup menus. Look for a setting that turns off overscan, and make sure you have the correct settings for the TV aspect ratio. A TV without HDMI in is presumably a 4:3 display. If so you can't fill the screen from a 16:9 source without distorting the image or losing some of the edge content.

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 11:57:50 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

humax4000t_user

wow - unbelievably quick response. what a fantastic forum!!

I didn't think that the problem lie the TV because other set-top boxes don't exhibit the same problem on this TV. Indeed I have two set top boxes connected (FVR-4000T and HDR165 using the RF loop through) and I can change the source on my TV and see that the Humax box is missing information at the edges. (I can send photos if you want - is there a "test card" signal anywhere?). That suggests to me that its something in the Humax box that I need to change.
    Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
    Richard

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 12:06:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

humax4000t_user

TV is KV-32FX66B - 16:9.
    http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4088952321.pdf
    Richard

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 12:10:38 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What settings do you have in the box TV setup menu ?

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 12:21:25 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

humax4000t_user

not clear what you are asking here.
    If I press Home on the Humax remote and then select General Settings, then Video, I see
    Screen ration = 16:9
    Display Format = Auto
    Resolution = 576i
    Sorry if I misunderstood

Attached is a photo of the test card that I obtained by following the directions at https://ukfree.tv/article/1107052442/How_do_I_get_a_test_card_with_Freeview_ (I was stunned when it worked, but it did).
    I think that you can see that the edges are missing when compared to http://hub.tv-ark.org.uk/images/testcards/images/169_testcards/testcard_2003_t543a.jpg.

Thanks for your help
    Richard

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 12:54:37 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

humax4000t_user

oops seems that sttached inage was too big - trying again in a differnt format

Attachments

1. Humax-1.gif (88.2 KB, 0 downloads) 8 years old
    | Sat 12 Dec 2015 13:00:26 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

humax4000t_user

If I change the settings of the TV to display as 4:3 (so that the "whole" of the Humax picture is sure to be displayed, albeit a bit tall and thin), I still don't get to see the edges of the picture.

I can't find anything in the TV manual (http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4088952321.pdf) that allows me to change the screen width.

Thanks,
    Richard

Attachments

1. Humax-2.gif (90.4 KB, 0 downloads) 8 years old
    | Sat 12 Dec 2015 13:10:42 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yes you have a bit of the test card edge missing. From your photo the display looks a bit tilted. The TV may handle RGB by scart (which your other kit may be providing) compared to composite video you are using from the Humax. It's normal for TV's by default to overscan a signal slightly as it avoids noise appearing at the picture edges. There doesn't appear to be a menu setting controlling overscan on your TV (It might be in a hidden engineering menu). All I can suggest is you try the wide setting on your TV and have a play with the picture rotation adjustment.

The box really is designed for a digital video connection by HDMI. Analogue outputs are gradually being phased out. The legacy CVBS output is handy for connecting a TV modulator to remotely view the pictures over a coax cable.

The CVBS output should be the full 720 x 576 pixels when viewing a BBC HD SD channel.

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 13:55:50 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

humax4000t_user

Thanks for the info.

The apparent tilt in the picture is solely a function of the way I took the photo. The image on the TV screen is not tilted. Rotating the picture does not help.

I agree that it would have been better if the TV had an HDMI input, but it doesn't.

My next test will be to borrow a TV with an HDMI input. I am expecting the screen size in that test to be correct. If it isn't, I will obviously need to return the unit, but its still a disappointment that the composite outputs on the FVR-4000T cannot be adjusted to provide a correctly scaled image. I guess I'm stuck with missing the edges until I replace the TV with one that has a HDMI input. In most cases, it probably won't matter, but it does become obvious on the FVR-4000T menu pages.

| Mon 14 Dec 2015 10:35:11 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.