My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Gaps in Guide programme information

(30 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I don't know how often the Humax box refreshes the displayed guide - there is a possibility the guide is frozen when you are looking at it. So you wouldn't have seen a change, even if one was transmitted.

The guide is constantly updated by data transmitted along with the channel you are watching (Freesat does the same). The entire epg is in effect a round robin of data so it may take a little time for a schedule change to hit your epg. Programme overruns where recording is already in progress shouldn't need the epg to change, all it needs is the broadcaster to delay the change of running status to the appropriate time. If your box isn't set to AR then of course it won't be looking for this data. Do a factory reset and immediately call up the epg. You can see the process in action.

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 9:18:55 #21 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » Programme overruns where recording is already in progress shouldn't need the epg to change, all it needs is the broadcaster to delay the change of running status to the appropriate time

But as we all know this can be very hit and miss. Which is why for live sports coverage I prefer to make a backup recording on my Topfield PVR which is able to take advantage of both the Accurate Recording mechanism and of extensive post-padding.

With the ubiquity of on-line catch up services this is not as essential for non-live programmes as the start or end of these can be watched that way.

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 10:53:04 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

NickRich

I've now followed the instructions to do manual tuning, set up the power on / off timer and set padding to off. Thanks for all the guidance on how to do this.

A couple more questions if I may:

1. I take it switching padding off automatically switches accurate recording on? I can't see how to do this otherwise.

2. On my previous box I was frequently prompted to do a re-tune because new channels had been found. This hasn't happened since I've had the Humax. Does it? If so, presumably an auto-tune should be avoided? Do you have to repeat the manual tuning procedure?

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 12:46:59 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

NickRich - 6 minutes ago  » 
    1. I take it switching padding off automatically switches accurate recording on?

Correct.

2. On my previous box I was frequently prompted to do a re-tune because new channels had been found. This hasn't happened since I've had the Humax. Does it? If so, presumably an auto-tune should be avoided? Do you have to repeat the manual tuning procedure?

It will prompt from time to time, but in my experience not as frequently as the TV. Irritatingly with the latest software versions if you are not around when it prompts it will go ahead and do the auto tune. You will then need to repeat the manual tune but having done it once it is pretty quick subsequently. Another irritation is that any sort of retuning will delete the schedule of future recordings; this can be worked around by installing the custom firmware.

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 12:59:42 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin omitted your other query.

Yes turning off Auto Padding turns on AR.

Set a test recording for say 30 minutes ahead. Put the box in sby. About 15 mins before the recording is due the box will come to life. It's fully booted just no video/audio output. If you press the on button in this condition you get an instant boot.

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 13:22:18 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 55 minutes ago  » 

?????

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 14:18:08 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 7 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 55 minutes ago  » 

?????

Sorry missed the correct

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 14:25:42 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

NickRich

this can be worked around by installing the custom firmware.

Could you explain? What custom firmware?

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 15:12:16 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

NickRich - 3 minutes ago  » 

this can be worked around by installing the custom firmware.

What custom firmware?

You might care to have a look at the hummy.tv forum and wiki.

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 15:18:34 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

NickRich

Wow, another wealth of information. Thanks. Never realised life with a PVR could be so complicated!

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 15:54:48 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.