My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Getting recordings to play back elsewhere

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sor

I've used audacity to top and tail the recordings so i don't get the end/start of previous/next programme. So it's not just for converting to MP3. Maybe there is a better way of doing that?

| Tue 12 Jun 2018 10:42:31 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sor - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've used audacity to top and tail the recordings so i don't get the end/start of previous/next programme. So it's not just for converting to MP3. Maybe there is a better way of doing that?

Converting the file should create a file compatible with audacity. Rather than drag and drop can you open the file using audacity's file menu ?

| Tue 12 Jun 2018 12:04:16 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sor

Using audacity menu and using the IMPORT option, I can open the copied-across mp3 and then edit it and save it as an mp3 that plays.

If I change the extension of the copied-across file to mp2, it won't open at all in audacity, whether I drag/drop or import.

When I have done this with the audio .ts file from the Fox T2 or Foxsat, I could just drag and drop into audacity.

| Wed 13 Jun 2018 20:01:43 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sor - 1 hour ago  » 
    Using audacity menu and using the IMPORT option, I can open the copied-across mp3 and then edit it and save it as an mp3 that plays.
    If I change the extension of the copied-across file to mp2, it won't open at all in audacity, whether I drag/drop or import.
    When I have done this with the audio .ts file from the Fox T2 or Foxsat, I could just drag and drop into audacity.

Unless i misunderstand you have a workaround that gets over the issue with the incorrect file extension.

HD Video is the same, the file extension is saved as .ts. It's actually a .mt2ts file.

| Wed 13 Jun 2018 21:37:48 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sor

Hmm.... ok, so today I can't get the copied across mp3 files to import into audacity - it is just noise.

I don't know how/why it worked when I last posted! I'm sure I tested it with 3 or 4 different mp3 files and they worked then. Now.....none. Don't know what has changed or what I am doing differently!

Win10 update? I know that changed that my zip files played rather than giving me the option to extract them. So I don't know if it changed other things and I can't remember if the win10 update was after my last post.

So today's method is:
    * change the extension from mp3 to mp2
    * Use VLC to convert to proper mp3
    * Then either drag/drop new mp3 into audacity or import it.

Of course this is only needed if you need to edit the recording.
    I've just updated to the latest version of audacity 2.2.2 and still no joy with importing of the initial mp3.

| Mon 18 Jun 2018 17:09:44 #15 |
  6. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

If you are just topping and tailing then you may want to take a look at mp3directcut (http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html) which can edit mp3 without having to decode & recode, it can also handle mp2 & aac with dll plugins.

| Mon 18 Jun 2018 19:27:24 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sor

I would swear that I had managed to open these audio files in audacity!

Still no luck now. Doesn't matter if it is the original 'mp3' or whether I change the extension to mp2 or back again.

I have no idea what I am doing differently!

Have also tried mp3DirectCut with the mpglib.dll but also no success.

From my brief reading, audacity should be able to import these file.

*shrug*

Probably something simple and obvious I'm missing!

| Tue 19 Jun 2018 20:47:30 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sor

Sorry for all the posts! Don't know if these are helpful to anyone else!

Anyway, I have now tried changing the extension to .ts and that opens in audacity. I have tried this with 3 different audio files (just to remind myself it wasn't just a once off)

Now to see if this works tomorrow!

So, to play the copied audio file - change the extension to .mp2
    to import/open/drag&drop in audacity - change the extension to .ts

| Tue 19 Jun 2018 21:41:12 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sor

Further update on the using audacity to edit

Audacity will import the 'mp3'

1. File menu > Import > Audio
    2. Select "FFmpeg compatible files" as the file type filter
    3. Select the file and click OK.
    Need to have installed FFmpeg for Audacity.

Perhaps I had 'accidently' clicked on the FFmpeg compatible files and thats why audacity imported the files for me, and why the drag/drop didn't works.

Changing the extension to .ts and drag&drop still works too.

I had a test file that someone on the audacity forum checked out. Here's the basic info:

It is MPEG-2 encoded (more accurately it is "MPEG-1 Audio Layer II") but not quite 'normal' mp2.
    2 min 53 seconds of audio at 160 kbps should have a file size of (120 + 53) x (160 / = 3460 kB = 3.46 Mb.
    The actual file size is 19.6 Mb, indicating a lot of other "stuff" in the file that is not proper audio.

Hope that helps others.

| Wed 20 Jun 2018 14:43:43 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.