My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Green Screen?

(25 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

andy96j

My HDR FOX T2 now continuously gives the 'Green screen of death' every time its turned on. Its becoming a nightmare. Been in touch with Humax as its still under warranty, they were helpful but alas nothing has cured it. I was offered a replacement but to be honest I don't really want one as the warrant will only be 6mnths.

Has anyone found a cure? If not see my next post.

My TV is a Samsung BTW. (if that matters)

| Thu 17 Apr 2014 19:44:51 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

My guess without further info would be a poorly seated or defective HDMI cable. I presume all is OK via scart?

| Thu 17 Apr 2014 20:06:23 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

andy96j

Have'nt got a scart on the TV, but I could try a different HDMI cable. I doubt its faulty as its quite new and good quality. I've tried different ports in the TV to no effect. Apparently I was told its something to do with how they communicate???

| Thu 17 Apr 2014 20:15:25 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

andy96j

Will a factory reset cure this? Can I completely wipe everything on the box and reload it back on including its operating system?

| Thu 17 Apr 2014 21:26:29 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

"Will a factory reset cure this? Can I completely wipe everything on the box and reload it back on including its operating system?"

1) Maybe, 2) Possibly, but it would be difficult to do anything complex without a working screen.

You need to try a few things or take up Humax offer of a refurbished unit.

If you connect something else (e.g. a PS3) to the TV using the same HDMI cable is it ok ? If not, your cable and/or TV is bad.

Using the Humax:-
    Does the TV say 'no signal' (or whatever) when the humax is off and then change to the green screen as the humax boots up ?
    When powering on, does the Humax display 'start system' and then a channel name on the orange display ?
    Can you then change the displayed channel name using the remote or the P+ P- buttons ?

If no to the above, then the Humax might be faulty and if you can't get a display using the SCART connection, you can't really do any more (like software updates or factory reset) - get it replaced/repaired.

If yes to all three, then it's possibly a handshake issue between the TV and the Humax - try pressing the V-FORMAT key on the remote to try to make the Humax reset the HDMI connection.

A factory reset if you can do one might help but re-installing software probably won't.

Is there no way you can borrow a TV with a SCART input and a known good SCART cable to try the test mentioned ? At least if you can do that you might be able to diagnose the problem a bit more.

Dino

| Sat 19 Apr 2014 7:41:24 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

andy96j

Hi, thanks for the input. Heres the reply to last post.

1) Used HDMI cable from working Blue Ray player, no change.
    2) Yes TV shows no signal until Humax box is turned on
    3) I get the Humax name up on the screen the it goes green.
    4) Start system shows on Humax and channels can be changed.

I will try the V format button.

Also I installed the modified firmware to it, could this be the cause? How do I remove it so I can return it to factory setup? I looked at the wiki site but can't find the web interface section(web interface- diagnostics- RTM setting)? Its not connected to the internet btw.

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 14:35:23 #6 |
  7. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

The custom firmware will not be the cause.

ps. The web interface will not work if the box is not connected to your network - that is how it talks to it.

If i were you, i would try the box with a different TV to rule it out. If you get the same result with a different TV over hdmi, then it adds more weight to the box being faulty.

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 15:17:04 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

andy96j

I've had issues from new with the box giving the green screen. It did'nt happen often and a quick power off then back on from the TV set cured it, so it never really bothered me. Its now much worse (2hrs tday faffing with it). Humax said they are aware some TVs cause this issue more than others, and its something to do with the HDMI handshake?? Why has it got worse? Is it the updates?
    How can I revert the custom firmware back to standard without the network connection? I would like to do this as a last resort (so its back to factory setting before I return it).

BTW sometimes the picture actually comes on for 2-3 seconds then flicks to the green screen.

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 16:17:59 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

andy96j

Also it happened straight after I installed the custom firmware (never before) so thats what led me to think it may have been that.

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 16:19:12 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

andy96j

Use of the V format button does'nt clear it.

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 17:11:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.