My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Hard disk drive has not been formatted properly

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ivesy

I've started getting this message when I switch the machine on. It doesnt always happen. But I'm wondering if its the drive failing or the box itself. Is this a known issue? I'm happy to replace the drive if that's all it is.
    Thanks

| Tue 14 May 2019 9:41:21 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It is not a known issue.
    Is the drive powered or not and if not is it a very low power drive?

| Tue 14 May 2019 9:58:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I got that same message a few years ago, it was a failed drive. Replaced the drive and all fine.

| Tue 14 May 2019 10:07:58 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ivesy

Hi and thanks for the quick reply. I'd assumed the drive was powered. One the format has completed I'm able to record etc as usual but I find maybe a day or two later the message appears again. I've attached photos of the message and the drive. If that helps

| Tue 14 May 2019 10:08:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I got that same message a few years ago on my HDR1000S, it was a failed drive. Replaced the drive and all fine. May well be the same on the HB.

| Tue 14 May 2019 10:09:07 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ivesy

Pics

| Tue 14 May 2019 10:09:43 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ivesy

Thanks I'll get a replacement. Is there any inparticular I should go for?

| Tue 14 May 2019 10:27:16 #7 |
  8. Paul_D

Paul_D

I upgraded the drive in my Humax Foxsat HDR with a Western Digital WD AV-GP 1TB and it is approximately ten years old now and has worked flawlessly.

I also bought a WD AV-GP 2TB about six months ago which I put in my HTPC and once my Humax HDR-1100S is out of warranty, the WD AV-GP 2TB will go in the Humax HDR 1100S and I will get a WD AV-GP 4GB for the HTPC.

I like Western Digital, but some people prefer Seagate - I don't think that you would be able to tell the difference once they were installed.

The only thing I would advise is to buy from Amazon UK with Amazon as the seller (not a 3rd party company selling through Amazon Marketplace). Hard drives seem to suffer more from being dead on arrival (read the reviews on Amazon) and if you have bought from Amazon, they will replace it immediately at no extra cost to yourself and pay return shipping.

WD AV-GP Enterprise 2 TB 3.5-inch SATA Internal Hard Drive - currently £72.48 with free delivery.
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/AV-GP-Enterprise-3-5-inch-Internal-Drive/dp/B00DXOJJQQ&tag=blusas008-21

| Tue 14 May 2019 20:59:24 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ivesy

Hi got a like for like replacement drive. Eventually after 3 attempts it formatted and everything seemed fine regards recording etc. Until today. Switched the box on the humax splash appeared then nothing. I was stuck with a black screen though I could hear the drive whirring. Left it for a bit and unplugged the power lead. Tried two more times and eventually I got a broadcast. Checked the recordings and they'd dissappeared. I've got back from work tonight switched it back on and I'm stuck at the blank black screen. Any ideas what's going on? Thanks

| Thu 23 May 2019 21:31:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ivesy

It now seems I'm back where I started. When box boots up I get the same message I was getting saying the hdd needs to be formatted. Does this mean the box is knackered or is there anything I can do now that I've ruled out hdd failure?

| Fri 24 May 2019 22:00:34 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.