My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

Hard Drive for Humax Set Top Box and Windows

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

Basically I use my hard drive for my Humax Set Top Box and before I started using it I had to format it. I can't remember what the format was too. When I went to my plug it back into my computer I had to download a program in order for windows to pick it up and let me view the things that were on it. Since I have last done that I have done a reinstall of windows vista so I have lost the program.

Anyone have any ideas what that program might be or able to help windows view the files again?

It doesnt show up in my computer but does show up in device management as just a disk drive, it doesnt say anything else.

Any help would be appreicated, thanks.

| Mon 30 Sep 2013 16:24:13 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AaronQPR - 2 hours ago  » 
    Anyone have any ideas what that program might be or able to help windows view the files again?

You need a driver to read the EXT3 file system such as Link to EXT2FSD web site.

| Mon 30 Sep 2013 18:45:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

Martin Liddle - 1 week ago  » 

AaronQPR - 2 hours ago  » 

You need a driver to read the EXT3 file system such as Link to EXT2FSD web site.

Problem sorted, thank you.

| Wed 9 Oct 2013 12:17:54 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

Hello, actually I'm not sorted I can now view everything in windows fine but writing to the disc, windows states this...

The disc is write-protected.

Remove the write protection or use another disc.

Can someone please help me in how I get rid of the write protection?

| Wed 9 Oct 2013 12:25:47 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Not sure it is a good idea - but I think this is a EXT2FSD setting.

| Wed 9 Oct 2013 15:21:08 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

There are different ways to achieve this,

start Ext2 volume manager

click on Tools tab

then service management

untick Mount all volumes in read only mode

tick Enable writing support

As usual, be very careful what you do with these tools, if you tell them to wipe your C drive, they will with no hesitation

| Wed 9 Oct 2013 16:15:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

damian - 1 day ago  » 
    There are different ways to achieve this,
    start Ext2 volume manager
    click on Tools tab
    then service management
    untick Mount all volumes in read only mode
    tick Enable writing support
    As usual, be very careful what you do with these tools, if you tell them to wipe your C drive, they will with no hesitation

Thanks for your info. It is still claiming that it is a write protected disk after clicking on apply though? Any more help? What is the other option as you said there is 2 ways.

| Fri 11 Oct 2013 15:13:21 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

Bump

Thanks for your info. It is still claiming that it is a write protected disk after clicking on apply though? Any more help? What is the other option as you said there is 2 ways.

| Wed 16 Oct 2013 11:25:38 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

sorry for the delay,

There are different ways to achieve this

one would be to plug the drive back into the HD-FoxT2, put custom firmware on it, mount it over the network to your pc and if you still have write problems you can telnet onto the Humax and check permissions, easy if you know how, difficult to explain step by step.

Almost as fiddly, boot into a live Linux distribution, either from CD/DVD or usb stick, something like Ubuntu and all will be revealed. If you're interested in such stuff it's well worthwhile doing, again easy once you know how.

I'm guessing you want the windows option and I'm not sure why it doesn't work on the PC
    plug the drive in, start Ext2 volume manager, change the write settings as described above, load and refresh, click on the disk, right click and change drive letter, add a mount point, done, load and refresh, refresh the view in windows explorer.
    This works fine on my PC, no problems writing to it.

If you still have problems writing to it then it may have been uncleanly unmounted, i.e. pulled out from the Humax while files were still open on the disk. This can be checked again via custom firmware or booting a live linux distribution, or what may be easier, plug the drive back into the Humax, start it up, record something for a minute or so just to make sure you can, shut down the Humax and remove the drive, this should prove it's writeable and leave it cleanly uunmounted. If this still doesn't work, then I assume you have copied everything off the drive, it may be easier to copy anything you want to the PC, plug it back into the Humax and reformat it.
    If you don't have the space to copy off or have TB's of data that'll take for ever then the custom firmware or live linux route would be easiest.
    My guess is that it's stuck on the Ext2 volume manager as it's not the most intuitive of programs
    The other consideration is vista which has to be the worst OS ever, I can say this as I've never tried ME, but it's worse than win8 which is saying something, let's hope the 8.1 available in a few days puts that right.
    I've not tried this in vista and I shudder to think about it, you may have to right click on Ext2 volume manager before starting it and start in administrator mode, just a thought.
    Let us know how you get on, good luck

| Wed 16 Oct 2013 14:59:12 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried all the above - windows based.

I sort of have an idea with linux so I may give that ago as that seems like my only option now.

Can you still download the live cd's for it?? Or even better put start on a usb and start up from there? The more information given to me on linux the better

Thanks for all the help ive been given so far.

| Thu 17 Oct 2013 2:07:44 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.