My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

Hard Drive for Humax Set Top Box and Windows

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Shame windows based didn't work, I've had no problems with win7, Ext2 Volume Manager and the external HDFoxT2 drive here.

Linux is easiest via usb pen drive,

however, if both the Humax and Vista are connected via network then I think you should try the custom firmware on the HD-FoxT2 first, you'll need HD_FOX_T2_1.02.29_mod_2.19.zip
    if you can't find it below then you'll need to google for it
    http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads

make sure you download the right version, install it onto the Humax, it's a bit trickier than the HDR-FoxT2 to install and once finished you should be able to mount/map the attached Humax drive with windows explorer using the ip address of the humax to your vista pc and with even more luck you should be able to write to it. If you can't and you can record a couple minutes of tv to it then it's looking like vista is causing the problem.
    What I don't understand is if you can record a couple of minutes to the drive when attached to the Humax quite why you can't write to it when attached to vista with Ext2 volume manager.

If the vista and humax aren't connected via network then put something like ubuntu onto a usb pen drive, boot your vista pc into linux and you should be able to see both the attached usb drive and your vista partition and copy whatever you want across.

If there are still problems then let us know how far you got, I think important to know would be are they networked and can you record tv as normal onto the drive when connected to the HDFoxT2

| Thu 17 Oct 2013 3:24:28 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

damian - 4 days ago  » 
    Shame windows based didn't work, I've had no problems with win7, Ext2 Volume Manager and the external HDFoxT2 drive here.
    Linux is easiest via usb pen drive,
    however, if both the Humax and Vista are connected via network then I think you should try the custom firmware on the HD-FoxT2 first, you'll need HD_FOX_T2_1.02.29_mod_2.19.zip
    if you can't find it below then you'll need to google for it
    http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads
    make sure you download the right version, install it onto the Humax, it's a bit trickier than the HDR-FoxT2 to install and once finished you should be able to mount/map the attached Humax drive with windows explorer using the ip address of the humax to your vista pc and with even more luck you should be able to write to it. If you can't and you can record a couple minutes of tv to it then it's looking like vista is causing the problem.
    What I don't understand is if you can record a couple of minutes to the drive when attached to the Humax quite why you can't write to it when attached to vista with Ext2 volume manager.
    If the vista and humax aren't connected via network then put something like ubuntu onto a usb pen drive, boot your vista pc into linux and you should be able to see both the attached usb drive and your vista partition and copy whatever you want across.
    If there are still problems then let us know how far you got, I think important to know would be are they networked and can you record tv as normal onto the drive when connected to the HDFoxT2

They are not connected via a network so will give USB Ubuntu a go.

I can record to the hard drive fine when its connected to the humax box.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know how I get on.

| Mon 21 Oct 2013 12:25:06 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

I have tried a USB boot of Linux and it's still not allowing me to copy data over to the drive. Any ideas why this could be?

| Tue 22 Oct 2013 11:39:32 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Assuming you've booted into Ubuntu Linux and have a Linux window...

It's likely that your disks are numbered/named something like sda1, sdb1, sdc1 for the vista disk, usb pen drive and Humax drive, don't worry if they're called something else.

Can you open the file manager, click on these disks (you should recognise which one is which by the size and what's on them), wait a second or two, and navigate through the files/directories on the disks.

If you can navigate then it should just be a case of right clicking on a file from the vista disk to copy and moving the mouse to the Humax disk, right clicking and pasting. Choose a small file to test with first.

If you can navigate through the vista and Humax disks with the file manager, but still can't copy and paste, then you'll need to open a dos type command window, called shell/term/xterm or similar (icon looks like an old computer screen generally)

you should be on a command line and type the following

fdisk -l
    df -k
    mount

and post the results back to us.
    I can't remember with Ubuntu, but you may have to type 'sudo' in front of the above commands, i.e. sudo fdisk -l

| Tue 22 Oct 2013 16:39:18 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

Thanks for the reply.

This is a little out of the comfort zone so I don't know whether I have got the right information for you.

Just to let you know in ubuntu... it allows copy but when you go to paste it is faded out. If you try drag and drop nothing happens.

I hope this attachments help you understand more with whats going on, these are shots from the ubuntu command prompt...

Attachments

1. image(2).jpeg (38.6 KB, 1 downloads) 10 years old
    2. image(1).jpeg (39.6 KB, 0 downloads) 10 years old
    3. image.jpeg (43 KB, 0 downloads) 10 years old
    | Tue 22 Oct 2013 17:20:06 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

Images wouldnt upload due to file size... so I've added some links so you can see the images better... hope this is ok with the forum.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/wpph.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/n53s.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/s3j8.jpg/

| Tue 22 Oct 2013 17:27:57 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

It's all looking like it should,

the Humax drive /dev/sdc1 is mounted to
    /media/ubuntu/USB-1
    and it's mounted rw (read/write) and there's plenty of space, there's around 200GB used with around 700GB free.

I'm still unsure as to why it can't be written to. From the shell/term window again, can you change directory into the USB-1 directory

cd /media/ubuntu/USB-1

and create a test file...

touch test.txt

and either check whether it's been created or post the error message, use ls -lrt and test.txt should be the last file, again you may need to use 'sudo'

ls -lrt

if you can create the test.txt file then I'm not sure why it's not copying/pasting, the next step would be to try it manually.
    By the looks of the screen shots vista (/dev/sda1) is mounted to /media/ubuntu/B89E.... or maybe 889E...
    cd into that directory from the shell/term window
    cd /media/ubuntu/B8*
    or /media/ubuntu/88*

keep on changing directory until you find a file you want to copy to test copying to the Humax disk, i.e. cd temp, cd video etc. etc., I'll assume it's called 'myfile.txt'
    copy that file to the Humax disk

cp myfile.txt /media/ubuntu/USB-1

again report any errors, you can check the file has been copied using
    ls -lrt /media/ubuntu/USB-1

try a small file first, there maybe a 32bit 4GB restriction on copying, again use sudo if necessary.
    let us know how you're getting on, if you've got this far you're doing really well as Linux first time round is very daunting.

| Tue 22 Oct 2013 18:10:29 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

With them commands it's saying commands not found with them all in Ubuntu.

Can you please explain in simple terms if I'm doing it wrong.

If I go to properties of the external hard drive on Ubuntu it's stating root and I can't change or copy anything because I'm not the owner? Does this make any sense to you?

| Tue 22 Oct 2013 18:32:03 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

you may have to put sudo in front of the commands to get them to work, sudo is super user (su) and should allow all commands, even without sudo you should be able to change directory (cd) and list (ls). Try again with sudo

| Tue 22 Oct 2013 18:42:32 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

AaronQPR

Yeah even with sudo it was still not working.

Anyway you're not going to believe this, all the files which trying to read them in Ubuntu were saying unable to mount. I decided I was going to go back on windows and try mount again on that and automatically assign a letter and boom, works fine. Can happily copy and paste.

It's so weird it's now working.

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate everything you did for me.

| Tue 22 Oct 2013 18:53:36 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.