My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Hard drive sound coming from 5000T & signal probs

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Hi, I have a FPV 5000T, i have had it about 2 weeks, in that time i have had constant breaking up of the picture, the picture will either just pause a lot then carry on a few secs later or i get a screen saying the signal it too weak or stopped.

I have had the guy out who put the aerial up and he said nothing is wrong with the aerial and he re-tuned it for me and cancelled out all welsh signals and said it may be that.

Unfortunately it’s still doing it, i have noticed since we got it though when just watching live tv i can hear what sounds like the hard drive clicking away all the time, I’m not sure if this could be causing too much power usage and leading to the picture breaking up?

I have ordered a 4g signal filter in case it’s that causing the issue.

The strange thing is i only bought this 5000T to replace my old Fox T2 which never had this signal issue using the same aerial, i guess it could be the unit its self but i can't imagine i got a dud unit, but i might be left with no choice but to ask Amazon for a swap as i am running out of ideas.

I have looked at the signal test and watched for when the signakl seems to go, generally the signal strength is around 70% and quality 100% when the picture does go off i see that the signal strength will go into the 60s and the signal quality dropped to 0% its so off my Fox T2 didn't have this problem though, unless something in my area has changed and its very good timing that it happened about the time i got the new box.

I am in the Liverpool area, the freeview site doesn’t show any issues with my local storton transmitter either.

Does anyone have any further ideas, or do you think its time to get an exchange for the unit? i will be getting the 4g filter tomorrow so will give that a go.

Thanks

James

| Wed 30 May 2018 18:03:45 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

James

A few have reported noisy HDD - others like myself do not have the problem.

Any channels listed in the 800 range, this is an indicator of receiving from more then 1 transmitter.

Tune to each of the following in turn and check details via Settings, Channel Settings, Signal Test:

Note for each the CH number indicated on the signal test page and compare with suggested transmitter via Digital UK, Coverage Checker (scroll doen tha page for this) - enter postcode, house number and click detailed view.

| Thu 31 May 2018 7:57:03 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

1. I often get a black screen with a "No signal? too weak?" message for a second or two after changing channel. It is then OK.
    2. Quality 100% is the important one - that is good.
    3. Strength 70% is good as it means it is not too strong
    4. When you check with the postcode checker, what percentage of premises at your location are shown to be able to receive good Freeview? If the percentage is low that may be your answer.

The question is therefore "Why does the signal strength vary?"

1. The cable was disturbed when you installed the new box. Carefully check the plug on the aerial cable - is the inner soldered to the plug pin? Is the shield making good contact?
    2. Carefully check the coax socket on the Humax. Is the plug pin making contact? Does wiggling (that's a technical term) the cable plug cause the signal to vary? Gently close the two halves of the Humax socket to ensure they make good contact with the aerial coax plug pin.
    3. Try the TV tuner - what does it do?
    4. Are you using "classic old brown, braided shield TV coax"? Replace it - it is useless for Freeview and allows interference through the braid. Use satellite grade coax with a metal foil sheath.
    5. Borrow a Freeview tuner and try it - does it work OK? Take your Humax to someone else's house - does it work OK on their aerial?
    6. Check your line of sight to the transmitter. Have trees come into leaf causing a blockage when they are wet?
    7. Has your aerial moved?
    8. Has water got into the coax?
    9. You are in the Liverpool area. Are you receiving across water? This can cause bad signal reflection problems when the "line of sight" signal gets out of phase with the "reflected from the water" signal and weakens the aerial signal. Does it correlate with the tides?

| Thu 31 May 2018 8:35:46 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.