My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Has anyone tried this?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

If the original hdd is removed (and a new one fitted) and installed into a hdd caddy that is then plugged into one of the USB ports on the original device, are ALL the files still playable. I would have thought that they should be as any encryption/decryption is from the same machine.

| Sun 6 Mar 2022 9:49:01 #1 |
  2. jpv1960

jpv1960

That is good to know. Thanks for sharing.

| Mon 7 Mar 2022 8:57:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Sorry for the confusion but I am asking if anyone has tried this to find out if it works? I have inadvertently missed out the very important question marks at the end of my sentences

| Mon 7 Mar 2022 9:35:45 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

SSThing - 1 day ago  » 
    If the original hdd is removed (and a new one fitted) and installed into a hdd caddy that is then plugged into one of the USB ports on the original device, are ALL the files still playable. I would have thought that they should be as any encryption/decryption is from the same machine.

As content moved to and external HDD certainly works I would assume the same for your scenario.

| Mon 7 Mar 2022 16:36:29 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

That is my thinking too Barry but I am wondering if there would be any files left on the original hdd that may cause issues as new (duplicate) versions will be created on the internal drive when it is installed/formatted, so may perhaps confuse the pvr?

| Mon 7 Mar 2022 17:30:10 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

iron

I don't know whether to be optimistic or pessimistic on this but success will depend on the directory structure of the removed internal HDD. Specifically are the recordings stored in a root directory named \.recordings. When an external drive is plugged into the PVR's USB port four root directories are created.

\.recycleBin
    \.recordings
    \.cache
    \.umma

\.recordings is the destination for copied recordings and that is the only location from which they can be either played or copied back to the PVR.

The reason I think there may be a problem with the removed internal HDD is because the FTP server presents a partial view of the internal HDD structure where recordings are stored in a directory called \Recordings and not the required \.recordings.

By FTP this is seen
    \Download
    \Photo
    \Music
    \Recordings
    \Video

Now this view presented by FTP need not be the actual disk structure and almost certainly is not the complete structure. However if \Recordings happens to be an alias for an actual directory \.recordings then I'd say you are good to go otherwise, probably not.

Happy to be of help!

| Mon 7 Mar 2022 21:56:40 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.