My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Has On Demand for a Freesat PVR been discontinued?

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonygamble

My 'settings' indicate I have a link with my internet supplier but when I go into On Demand it says it is not available.

I also noticed just now that I had none of those circles with an arrow on my list of programmes in my guide.

When I call up a programme I am not offered the ability to view it from start.

My Humax will be about five/six years ago. I am not sure of the model number but am sure I can find it if any guru around here thinks they can retrieve On Demand for me.

| Tue 29 Jun 2021 12:33:33 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonygamble

Can't get in to edit the above but I have now spotted a similar problem being quoted in one of the specific model threads.

Moderator. Do feel free to move me if it makes sense.

Tony

| Tue 29 Jun 2021 13:56:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Tonygamble,

Welcome to the forum. I guess you have either a Humax 1000s or a 1100s? The pvr model that rolls back 7 days? If so, it should still work perfectly, unless your pvr has lost connection with broadband. Can you still roll back 7 days/what happens if you try and watch a catch up recording on other channels?

First test if still a problem : When was the last time you did a soft reset (press power button for approx. 10 seconds) or rebooted your Router? Do your powerline adaptors work correctly? Just a few checks to do first before advancing to next stage.

If you own the older model: Foxsat pvr then this is a different story. The iPlayer I know doesn't work anymore. The pvr was made over 10 years ago and can still be used as a very good pvr + also has the customized software that adds features if downloaded.

Please let the forum know how you get on/if this advice has helped you. John L

| Tue 29 Jun 2021 14:22:42 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonygamble

It is the 1100S.

I did reboot the rooter and that made no difference.

I have two powerline adaptors in my cabinet. One for the Humax and the other for a Shield. The Shield has a Speedtest app so I moved that cable to the Humax adaptor. It had a good speed - 50mbps.

When I moved it back to the normal powerline and replugged the Humax into its original powerline I got On Demand back - and the little icons on my station guide.

My guess is that unplugging the Humax from the broadband and connecting it again solved the problem.

Thanks for pointing me into a course of action that solved the problem.

I like the 1100S and what it seems to have, which the newer PVRs lack, is the button that jumps forward two minutes. I can well see why Freesat as an operation does not want to encourage people to jump ad breaks - but it is jolly handy to be able to do so.

Let's hope it has a few more years life in it.

Tony
    London UK

| Tue 29 Jun 2021 15:13:15 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Glad to have been able to help you Tonygamble. It's a brilliant pvr. So is the Foxsat. I think part of the problem if you read up from previous topics is the Humax Freesat Server. There are a few tricks you can do to manually key in IP settings, but it seems you have solved it now. If it happens again. simply do same process.

I actually bought a spare Foxsat pvr a short while ago 2nd hand, as I use the customised software & it works well if you want to record non freesat channels (for example various ITV regions from around UK) at the same time as Freesat. You can't do this with newer models due to ITV licensing restrictions. John L

| Tue 29 Jun 2021 15:22:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonygamble

Not a bad idea buying a spare whilst they are around.

I did the same with my Canon printer when I saw the newer ones were not as solid and substantial.

If manufacturers are going to cut corners with PVRs rather than improve them a reliable spare is money well spent. This is about my third and I also found a useful man in Brighton called John Sim who used to replace the HDD drives about twenty years ago. A great find.

| Tue 29 Jun 2021 15:27:11 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

I can highly recommend CEX for 2nd hand equipment. Occasionally had a few issues with CEX, but overall worth looking to see what they sell. Managed to obtain a Foxsat pvr with 2 yr warranty for just £22! I had to clean the remote control, it was well used, but can't grumble at £22! Works perfectly! You can also purchase online with a small postage charge on all items. I think you will find the newer models like the 1100s & 1100s will remain at lot higher prices due to short supply/demand. John L

| Tue 29 Jun 2021 16:45:44 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonygamble

Just looked John.

All the 1100S are above the hundred mark.

| Tue 29 Jun 2021 18:22:45 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tonygamble - 3 hours ago  » 
    It is the 1100S.
    I did reboot the rooter and that made no difference.
    I have two powerline adaptors in my cabinet. One for the Humax and the other for a Shield. The Shield has a Speedtest app so I moved that cable to the Humax adaptor. It had a good speed - 50mbps.
    When I moved it back to the normal powerline and replugged the Humax into its original powerline I got On Demand back - and the little icons on my station guide.
    My guess is that unplugging the Humax from the broadband and connecting it again solved the problem.
    Thanks for pointing me into a course of action that solved the problem.
    I like the 1100S and what it seems to have, which the newer PVRs lack, is the button that jumps forward two minutes. I can well see why Freesat as an operation does not want to encourage people to jump ad breaks - but it is jolly handy to be able to do so.
    Let's hope it has a few more years life in it.
    Tony
    London UK

The 1100s- does have the ability to skip the ads though it's a tad obscured. Because if you press other keys in the mean time the current time indicator is not selected.

From memory if the right skip button does not show the current location in blue. Press escape and the right button and left button will restore the instant forward and reverse skip capability.

Struggling to find the relevant faqs which refer.

Attachments

1. G2_BOX_Recording_settings.jpg (570.8 KB, 7 downloads) 2 years old
    | Tue 29 Jun 2021 18:52:48 #9 |
  10. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

Blank Message as I just found a possible answer.

| Sun 4 Jul 2021 12:49:36 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.