My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HB-1000S Initial Setup Help?

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yessi

hello all,

Just picked up a satellite dish and Humax HB-1000s from a local off gumtree.

I've scoped the area and now mounted the satellite dish on the back of the house in line with neighbours, I've purchased new cables with F connectors and a Sat Finder from screwfix....

I have factory reset the receiver, however when I start the initial setup it only says searching for Satellites... there is no mention of Tuner 1.... it continues to search until it eventually throws up no signal found errors.

I have purchased new cables from Wickes with pre fitted F connectors, they are properly connected to the receiver and the dish. I have also removed the sat finder from the circuit and still the same.

Am I right in thinking if the box doesn't recognise Tuner 1, then the most likely fault is the LNB?

I have changed all cables, tried with / without the sat finder and still brings up a whole lot of nothing.

The sat finder itself I am some what skeptical about as moving the satelittle doesn't make it louder or quieter when I have turned it up so it is sitting on half gauge.

The dish I believe is an old sky dish as it has a Quad Sky J4LS LNB currently on it which doesn't appear to be damaged, rusted etc.

If I skip past the initial setup the system works, I.e on demand... navigating to the system menu does show Tuner 1 with both Signal and Stength as No Signal.

Help I am so perplexed!

| Sun 31 Dec 2017 21:16:59 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You dish needs to be aiming at a target some 36,000 km distant.
    It is very difficult to aim a dish so that it is exactly correct without a professional meter.

http://www.dishpointer.com/ will give you the exact direction. For the elevation you will need to adjust for the offset of the dish (deduct the offset).
    The LNB also needs to have the correct skew (Twist).

LNB's can fail but probability says it is dish alignment.

In your position I would contact an installer for a quote. Tell them you only need a dish re-aligned. If by chance it is the LNB they can deal with that as well.

During setup the HB-1000S only looks for a single frequency (The freesat home transponder).

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 6:47:21 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I agree, your most likely problem is dish alignment. Like you I did a self install and despite copying the observed alignment of my neighbour could not get a signal. Used dishpointer.com to determine numbers, with particular emphasis on elevation and LNB skew, and problem solved. It can be done without an installer if you get the numbers right.

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 11:52:12 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can get a basic alignment using a cheap satellite meter. These beep when you are close to being aligned, you then reduce the gain and use very tiny horizontal and vertical adjustments till you find the sweet spot with the gain turned down as far as possible. Now turn off the satellite box and remove meter from the circuit. Now turn on the box again and if you are pointing at the right satellite the box should go through the initial setup. Be careful it;s very easy to lock on to 19.2E instead of 28.2E.

Here's how to tweak the alignment now that you have basic lock.

You will need someone to watch the TV screen.

Tune to 105 Channel 5 HD and bring up the signal diagnostics page.

Settings -System Information - Signal Info. Look at the Tuner 1 quality bar graph, your aim is to get this as high as possible.

Get someone to press gently on the back left of the dish to flex it slightly to the right. Keep pressed for a few seconds and see if the quality goes up or down. If it goes up slacken the adjustment slightly and move the dish minutely to the right (left if went down). You should be able to find a point where pressing right and left makes the quality go down. Repeat top and bottom to fine adjust the elevation.

Now tune to 102 and check you have similar quality, if not you may need to twist the lnb in it's holder (skew). Skew isn't that critical.

I aligned my dish this way and have 100/100 for all UK spot transponders using a Sky Zone 2 in the Midlands.

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 12:44:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Resolved
    https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/no-tuner-1-at-all.8403/

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 14:38:09 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.