My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

HB-1100S remote control distance problem

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

user5

I have an HB-1100S running the ".98" recent software that fixed the Youtube search bug. I have two remote controls for it.

Everything was working fine until about two days ago when I started having problems with both of the RC devices. If you get to within about two feet of the main box they both work fine. But if you go to a practical distance away say 6-10 feet then neither work properly. The key presses either don't register or they seem to multi-register. For example, The effect is if you press an up arrow or down arrow then nothing happens, or you may press the same button and it jumps up or down a menu four or five times. Everything seems to always work fine when you are close to the box.

I'm assuming as both RCs have the same fault the error is probably in the box itself.

To double check I changed the batteries in both RCs and its the same, and I factory reset the HB-1100s box itself and reconfigured it, and its still the same.

So any ideas of what I can try please?
    Or is it new box time?

I was thinking of getting a different make box anyway because the recent Youtube fix seems to repair the search function but now the back button doesn't work in YouTube. I've been in touch with Humax support for about 6 weeks but apart from acknowledging the YT back button problem they haven't offered any assistance or even a proposed date for a new version of software.

Anyway, any ideas regarding the remote control problem?

Thanks in advance.

| Sat 17 Jul 2021 16:28:27 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

user5 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Anyway, any ideas regarding the remote control problem?

What type of batteries are you using in the remote controls? Not rechargeables by any chance?

| Sat 17 Jul 2021 18:27:44 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

user5

Martin, Thanks for the idea but I don't use rechargeables. They are brand name Alkaline.

And I have a battery tester which indicates they should be OK, and new batteries didn't help either.

| Sun 18 Jul 2021 12:18:47 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

user5 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Martin, Thanks for the idea but I don't use rechargeables. They are brand name Alkaline.
    And I have a battery tester which indicates they should be OK, and new batteries didn't help either.

Fair enough but we have had users in the past who haven't understood the implications of using rechargeable batteries. I assume the send area on the remote and the receiver area on the box are clean? I recently had to drive a fair way to assist a family member whose TV no longer responded to the remote to find the sender on the remote coated in a thick layer of black gunge (he has a heavy smoking habit). Cleaning the sender produced a miraculous restoration of functionality.

| Sun 18 Jul 2021 15:57:37 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

user5

Good idea. I did try a quick clean earlier but I'll double check and give it another go.

At the moment I'm using the Freesat app on my phone. That works good enough, so at least I can still reasonably use the box.

| Sun 18 Jul 2021 17:55:51 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

May not be much help...

Many moons ago I had similar issues, after much head scratching it turned out to be position of wireless router, moved it and all OK.

Also, try changing remote code?

| Mon 19 Jul 2021 8:18:41 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

user5

Martin, the clean didn't help.

Barry, spot on. Physically moving the actual Humax box seems to have fixed it. I tried moving the router ( which is in a different room ) and that didn't help, but I swapped around the Humax box about 2ft to the left and its working again?

I don't understand it. The box has been in that spot surrounded by the same TV, Games console and blue ray player it always has been for a couple of years or more. I've added no extra kit anywhere near it, not even in the same room for ages.

All I did was swap the positions of the Humax box and the Games console on the same shelf and it started working again.

I had previously taken the Humax box out and disconnected all the cables etc when I cleaned it for example, but always put it back where it had always been. Maybe there is dodgy connection inside the box awaiting to go dodgy again.

Anyway, at the moment its working again. I'll get back if it is an intermittent fault just to let you know, but at the moment it seems fixed.

Thanks to Martin and Barry for assistance and suggestions.

| Mon 19 Jul 2021 18:37:27 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

tv-tony

There are several considerations here. Ambient room lighting (and the type of lighting) can cause issues. LED lights certainly cause issues. Some SMPS's can push all sorts of hash out with them. It may be a matter of going round things in the room to isolate what is causing the issue. Good luck.

| Tue 20 Jul 2021 5:39:39 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

user5 - 12 hours ago  » 
    Martin, the clean didn't help.
    Barry, spot on. Physically moving the actual Humax box seems to have fixed it. I tried moving the router ( which is in a different room ) and that didn't help, but I swapped around the Humax box about 2ft to the left and its working again?
    I don't understand it. The box has been in that spot surrounded by the same TV, Games console and blue ray player it always has been for a couple of years or more. I've added no extra kit anywhere near it, not even in the same room for ages.
    All I did was swap the positions of the Humax box and the Games console on the same shelf and it started working again.
    I had previously taken the Humax box out and disconnected all the cables etc when I cleaned it for example, but always put it back where it had always been. Maybe there is dodgy connection inside the box awaiting to go dodgy again.
    Anyway, at the moment its working again. I'll get back if it is an intermittent fault just to let you know, but at the moment it seems fixed.
    Thanks to Martin and Barry for assistance and suggestions.

Good news

Thank you for the update.

| Tue 20 Jul 2021 7:34:53 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.