My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

HB1000s Potential buyer

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

KennyB

I am thinking of getting a HB1000s and attaching a 500GB HDD.
    Before I do, can any HB1000s owners/users supply the following info.

When the box goes into standby after a recording does the HDD spin down and shut off.

The reason I ask is I currently have the HDD attached to a FTA box and when in standby the HDD keeps on spinning, something I dislike.

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 15:21:56 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

KennyB - 10 minutes ago  » 
    I am thinking of getting a HB1000s and attaching a 500GB HDD.
    Before I do, can any HB1000s owners/users supply the following info.
    When the box goes into standby after a recording does the HDD spin down and shut off.
    The reason I ask is I currently have the HDD attached to a FTA box and when in standby the HDD keeps on spinning, something I dislike.

If you use a USB powered caddy when the HB-1000S goes into stabdby (takes about 5 mins) the USB port is unpowered and the HB-1000S uses < 0.5w.

I have a Icy Box IB-AC603a-U3 (2.5" adaptor) and a WD AV-25 WD10JUCT. All depends on the caddy / adaptor.

Like the HB-1000S very much.

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 15:41:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

KennyB

Thanks for that.
    I should have said that the HDD is USB powered.

Sounds ideal.

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 15:51:17 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

KennyB - 53 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for that.
    I should have said that the HDD is USB powered.
    Sounds ideal.

The drive will need reformatting to NTFS (The HB-1000S can do it for you).

I think the 5 mins to go into full standby (< 0.5w) is down to it has to also to deal with those without a disk and I think it saves channels and setting to (relatively) slow flash memory.

For me the HB-1000S is an idea second unit.

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 16:48:46 #4 |
  5. IAINB

IAINB

Dear KennyB,

Welcome! Yes, like Repassac, I can only recommend the HB as a little wonderbox. It is, I have found out, capable of re-formatting HDD's that were unfound by Windows 7 & XP, restoring them to full usage (NTFS).

I too use a 1TB self-powered HDD (Intenso) which never hesitates. I guess the same applies as described for Repassac's HDD, ie that when the HB is put into standby or off, the HDD must do the same.

Regards. IAINB

| Mon 24 Mar 2014 14:01:31 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

KennyB

Thank you both for your comments.
    Ordered the box online this morning, delivery promised for tomorrow.

| Mon 24 Mar 2014 14:52:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

KennyB

Now that I've had the HB-1000S a few days might as well say how it went.

Install/setup was uneventful, everything worked first time, apart from 2 test recordings which both failed. Not sure if this was because I had formatted the HDD to NTFS on the laptop. After using the Humax to do the format, no failed recordings since.

Missed the first episode of the new series of Rev on BBC2 which gave me the excuse to use the rollback EPG which went without a hitch.

The clicky remote doesn't bother me too much, but it could do if you were a bit of a channel hopper. I was a bit surprised that the remote can work the TV, I was under the impression the Freetime remote didn't.

Do I like the box. Yes it's a marvelous piece of kit.
    If it keeps working as it is now I shall be happy.

Regarding the time the disk takes to shut down after a recording, I timed it at about 13 minutes.

| Sun 30 Mar 2014 21:40:55 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

KennyB - 9 hours ago  » 
    Regarding the time the disk takes to shut down after a recording, I timed it at about 13 minutes.

I see faster full standby times on my unit - about 5 minutes - This possibly depends on what needs to be saved to flash memory, for example, channel updates as well as other settings.

| Mon 31 Mar 2014 6:47:38 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

glospete

>I was a bit surprised that the remote can work the TV, I was under the impression the Freetime remote didn't.<<
    Does that mean that the 1000S remote also can control other units as well as the TV (audio system, DVD etc) as with my Foxsat?

| Mon 31 Mar 2014 14:34:06 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

KennyB

[quote]Does that mean that the 1000S remote also can control other units as well as the TV (audio system, DVD etc) as with my Foxsat?

I doubt it, the user guide only has a list of codes for TV's and there is only a STB and TV button on the remote.

| Mon 31 Mar 2014 14:48:18 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.