My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

HB1000s Potential buyer

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Hi everyone...

I am new to the forum, and Just like KennyB above, haven't actually purchased my Freesat box yet. I gave Sky their 31 days notice last week, and can't quite decide on what Humax Freesat box to get. Originally, I had my heart set on the HDR-1000S, but reading the above posts, it would appear that another option is to get the HB-1000S, and then buy a separate USB HDD. This works out quite a bit cheaper doing it that way, is this the reason for buying the HB-1000S, rather than the HDR-1000S? Or, are there other reasons?

I'm really looking forward to getting my new Freesat box, but which one?

Thanks

| Sun 22 Jun 2014 17:08:28 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The HDR1000S has two tuners, the HB1000S has only 1 tuner. Twin tuners will give a lot more flexibility for multiple recording and viewing other channels while recording.

Welcome to the forum.

| Sun 22 Jun 2014 17:45:42 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bill

Hi,

I bought the hb1000s as I only have one LNB/cable than runs from the satellite to front room. And pretty much non-existant freeview.

Did I read 'somewhere' that some models can run two tuners off of one cable/LNB? If true which models? I may have considered another device if that is so.

Not having twin tuners isn't the end of the world. +1 channels help. You can also watch recordings while recording (given you've connected a drive over USB). That makes it more flexible than you might first think. You can't record one sat channel while watching another live sat channel.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 13:07:10 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The HDR10X0s models can use both tuners with only a single cable, and are surprisingly capable in what you can record (and watch a 3rd channel while recording two).

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

Pretty much the same as a Foxsat-HDR though a bit more flexible as you can also record a 3rd watched programme from the time shift buffer after one recording has completed.

I don't have a HB1000S but would be surprised if you can't watch other channels while recording provided they share a transponder with the recording channel.

eg Watch BBC2-HD while recording BBC1-HD (And vice-versa). Next time you are recording try the channel up/down buttons (On other Humax boxes this cycles through all available channels).

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 13:16:56 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bill

Bill - 1 hour ago  »  You can't record one sat channel while watching another live sat channel.

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    I don't have a HB1000S but would be surprised if you can't watch other channels while recording provided they share a transponder with the recording channel.
    eg Watch BBC2-HD while recording BBC1-HD (And vice-versa). Next time you are recording try the channel up/down buttons (On other Humax boxes this cycles through all available channels).

I stand corrected. I had no idea that you could do that. Tested on my HB1000S, while recording one channel, I could cycle through others with the channel up/down buttons, and view some other satellite broadcasts. Note the available channels are limited. But it could be really useful. I guess I will soon learn to associate channels with their corresponding transponders!

Thanks Graham.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 15:11:52 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bill - 39 minutes ago  » 

Bill - 1 hour ago  »  You can't record one sat channel while watching another live sat channel.

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

I stand corrected. I had no idea that you could do that. Tested on my HB1000S, while recording one channel, I could cycle through others with the channel up/down buttons, and view some other satellite broadcasts. Note the available channels are limited. But it could be really useful. I guess I will soon learn to associate channels with their corresponding transponders!
    Thanks Graham.

You are welcome

There's a up to date list you can download from the faq link. Download the .htm file and open it in a browser using it's file menu.

If you have excel or a compatible there's also a Excel file (use the static version)

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 15:54:10 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bill

Found it via your link already cheers.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 16:50:47 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.