My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

HB1000S powered off - No signal?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

One of my HB1000S boxes was powered off completely (switched off at wall-plate) for around 4 months (TV on loan to a relative). When powered on it reported no signal, which confused me at first. I did a factory reset and all is well. This made me wonder, are all settings in NVRAM? If so why did box lose all signal? I'm curious.

| Tue 15 Jan 2019 21:38:58 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Was the Box used and set up in a different postcode area so when powered up again the last channel viewed when powered up was no longer in the epg ?

| Tue 15 Jan 2019 23:39:34 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

No, TV removed, box simply left in situ complete with all cables but fully powered off. TV on loan, connected to SKY box. TV returned, hooked up to box which on being powered up immediately reported "Weak or no signal" (or similar) on all channels. Went to Settings/Signal and graphic showed zero and no cable connected. Factory reset fixed. Mystery.

| Wed 16 Jan 2019 10:32:47 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    No, TV removed, box simply left in situ complete with all cables but fully powered off. TV on loan, connected to SKY box. TV returned, hooked up to box which on being powered up immediately reported "Weak or no signal" (or similar) on all channels. Went to Settings/Signal and graphic showed zero and no cable connected. Factory reset fixed. Mystery.

Anyone know how long stored info in NVRAM is supposed to last without being refreshed ?

| Wed 16 Jan 2019 12:23:43 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Anyone know how long stored info in NVRAM is supposed to last without being refreshed ?

Assuming we are talking about flash RAM then I would guess at least ten years. The second answer in this discussion suggests tens of years https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/37452/in-case-of-power-failure-how-the-rom-will-store-the-data

| Wed 16 Jan 2019 12:44:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

It appears that I have found the reason for this.
    Box was powered off for around 2 months and again when powering up it reported no or weak signal on all channels. The EPG PIP showed that it was updating channel info and I left it to do that. At its conclusion the signal appeared and all OK. My guess is the EPG update process is overwhelmimg the processing power, the EPG update being favoured.

| Mon 18 Mar 2019 11:37:29 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.