My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

HB1000S recording data makes Freesat app crash

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

WonkyBass

HB1000S Software version UKSFAC 3.00.77
    iPad Air 2.0 iOS running 10.3.1
    Freesat app v 2.0.4, Freesat version 1.0.76.9 on

I reported this reproducible crash to Freesat in September 2016. They acknowledged it as a problem in November 2016 but that "...Our mobile team are aware of this issue. I'm afraid I have no update on when it'll be resolved at the moment." As Freesat and Humax have updated their software I have retested but the problem still exists.

Summary:- HB1000S can create and upload recording data that the Freesat app is not designed to handle, which causes it crash on startup. Removing the recording data prevents the problem.

My original report:-
    I have eventually worked out what causes the Freesat app to crash every time on startup. The problem is 100% reproducible here

Humax HB-1000S with an external usb disk
    UKSFAC 3.00.44
    iPad Air
    iOS 9.3.5
    Freetime 2.0.3
    Pair Freesat box to a Freetime app user on the iPad and attach both to the Internet.

Humax allows recording by channel, date and duration with repetition. Freetime does not allow these to be set up. Setting up the following recording manually on Humax causes the Freetime app to crash when it is next started, provided the IPad and Humax are both connected to the Internet.

Humax - Recordings, Planned, set recording (I.e. right arrow twice)
    Channel BBC NEWS
    Month Sep 16
    Day Wed 14
    Start time 05:28
    Duration 03:28
    Repeat Weekly
    Record

Start app on a paired iPad and it will crash instantly.

This behaviour did not used to occur. I cannot say when it changed but it was sometime ago. I used to be able to schedule the same repeated recording by channel, time and duration and the app did not crash.

Phew, this took me months to work out but pleased to know what the cause is. Setting up the recording this way is the only way achieve the result I seek.

Summary: Humax can set up repeat recordings by channel, time and duration. The Freetime app does not appear to know how to interpret this data when downloaded from the Freesat host so it crashes."

| Fri 14 Jul 2017 16:56:24 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

WonkyBass

iOS Freesat app updated to Version 2.1.120 today and this problem looks to now be fixed!

I can now start the app on my iPad with my Humax HB1000S also attached to the Internet and with recordings scheduled by channel, start time and duration without the app then crashing. Ok, the recordings set by channel and time do not show up in the app as scheduled BUT at least I can now use the app again. Much better. Apps should not crash!

I am very happy that Freesat have fixed this problem. Thank you.

| Thu 24 Aug 2017 23:57:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

garnett

WHAT DID YOU DO ???

MINE IS THE SAME

G

| Fri 25 Aug 2017 3:57:55 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

WonkyBass

Hi Garnett,

There are probably other circumstances that have caused the Freesat app to crash. This was my iPad Freesat app crashing every time it started but it only happened when I had set up recordings in my Humax HB1000S by channel number, start time and duration. My wife likes to watch the 05:30 business news followed by the 05:45 business review of the papers in BBC News every Monday to Friday. There is no other way to record this automatically every weekday because Freesat recording data does not recognise the 05:30 segment as a series.

It took months for me to work out the cause as being these recordings. The app just didn't know what to do with with this data it had just downloaded from the Freesat server (data is passed from the Humax to the iPad via an intermediate server) and would crash the iPad app at the point it started to download and store it.

I had felt that I not been successful in getting Freesat to acknowledge the problem despite a detailed description and multiple tweets to I just satisfied myself by posting a negative review on the iOS App Store and updating this every time a new version came out that did not fix the bug!

I noticed yesterday that Freesat had updated the app to Version 2.1.120. My Humax box is installed in my motorhome and used for recording and watching programmes when we travel around. I remembered the update just as we were off to bed so I nipped out quickly to test it (I had to turn the wifi router in the van on). I was amazed when it didn't crash! I tried setting up new recordings by channel and these were fine too! The only downside is that the app does not display any of the planned recordings by channel. I guess that Freesat are now just filtering out the Humax planned programme data completely. I haven't tried to record a second programme simultaneously from the Freesat app to see if it clashes but there's generally not a lot to record at 05:30 so I'm unlikely to experience the issue.

What did I do? Just updated the iPad Freesat app! My Humax is on the June 2017 software version. I did experience a device pairing issue after updating to Freesat 2.1.120 where the app said it was not paired, although it had been paired before the update. I logged the app off and on again (with password) and the pairing re-established without me doing anything else.

| Fri 25 Aug 2017 11:24:52 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.