My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

"HD Alternative" needs some work

(15 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Sorry I still do not accept there is a problem.

Where does BBC news at Six come from, when Look North was your search criteria - but see para 2 as well.

If I search Spotlight (using your example of local news) press down arrow and it informs me there are 21 results:

1. Pressing OK on results gives recording options, select series and all dates have record icon.

2. If BBC News at Six was a separate search then it depends on which channel you select as your record option as to whether the dates will be annotated or not, if you select BBC 1, but when asked if SD/HD you select the option HD then obviously the dates will not be annotated as you are looking at BBC 1 search returns not BBC 1 HD.

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 9:20:01 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

blowback

It's this last step that's the problem. If you've got there via an SD search, but HD is available, and you've chosen "yeah actually I want HD" then the expectation is that the UI is now going to show you the HD recording schedule, whereas it is actually still showing you the SD recording schedule, and has scheduled an HD recording behind the scenes.

This is counter-intuitive and non-obvious. If I've told it I want the HD alternative, clearly that's the thing I'm interested in going forward. Continuing to let me edit the SD variant is pointless - why would I want to continue scheduling an SD recording when I've got an HD one for exactly the same programme already cued up?

Once you realise what it's doing (scheduling the HD you asked for, and then going back to the original SD search) it's tolerable, but until you figure this out this part of the UI is just baffling. In particular, it feels like the "choose HD alternative" isn't doing anything, because there's no indication that it *has* done anything.

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 9:41:24 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

blowback

Before I understood what this was doing, I found it was quite easy to setup both an HD recording and an SD recording for the same programme, as I flailed about in confusion with this bit of the UI.

New users would be well advised to check Recordings>Schedule to keep an eye on things until they've got the hang of it.

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 9:44:13 #13 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

We will have to agree to disagree I'm afraid.

The UI clearly shows the channel you are about to set the timer on, if a SD one and you choose HD alternate then it is obviously not going to annotate the dates to the left on the SD channel.

No further comment from me on this one.

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 10:42:29 #14 |
  5. Aresby

Aresby

I've come here as a result of this "Bug" (sorry, Barry, I know you disagree).

Basically, I too clicked on the HD option which returned me to the program I was trying to record and no recording icons showed to confirm it had done this (apparently because I'm still looking at the SD channel). After several attempts I just added the SD recording schedule which did add the icons and searched here to find out how to do it!

What apparently was happening was that the HD version was being scheduled for recording but not letting me see that.

Letting users know what's going on is a good UI design; I suspect this will get overhauled in the near future (a simple "HD recording scheduled" message would be enough).

But at least I now know what is going on!

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 18:00:35 #15 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.