My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

HD Fox-T2 with external (usb) HDR and WiFi?

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

welly

Anyone know if it is possible to setup the WiFi option for IPlayer etc. if using the usb external drive. I've seen some comments from other forum about the successful use of a Edimax-7711utn 11n dongle on the HDR T2.

| Thu 14 Jul 2011 20:46:42 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I use the Humax WiFi dongle, and ext HDD via a powered hub with a
    HD T2 without issue.

HDR T2's are connected via powerline or hub to the router.

| Fri 15 Jul 2011 9:23:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

welly

Hi Barry,

thanks for info. Have just connected usb powered hub and wifi dongle
    everything works fine ............ pity about my s-l-o-w internet connection!

Ian

| Tue 26 Jul 2011 16:52:23 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

90_over_palp

Barry - 7 months ago  » 
    I use the Humax WiFi dongle, and ext HDD via a powered hub with a
    HD T2 without issue.
    HDR T2's are connected via powerline or hub to the router.

Hi Barry.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm new here and also a new Humax owner. I've put in a search and checked the FAQ's on the site for an answer to my query but can't seem to see anything with a conclusive answer to my newbie question aside from this one being a promising start. Please excuse the lack of knowlege on this product, but I've only just realised after reading this thread that there are two types of Fox T2. One with, and one without a HDD. I have the one with the HDD = HDR, I believe.

So, now to my actual question which was vaguely covered above in this thread. I have just received the Edimax wireless wifi dongle for my HDR T2 and it works fine. However, I was hoping to still have full access to the only available usb socket to plug in an external HDD which is now obviously taken up by the wireless wifi dongle. I currently have a 3 metre usb extension lead in the back of the Humax and was going to plug/unplug to interchange both devices as and when required but would rather have a permanent fix and be able to have both devices permanently plugged in simultaneously for convenience and also to guard against putting any undue stress on the connections with this current method. I was wondering what specific type of splitter/hub I have to use to be able to do this? As I see from your comment above there is a difference between the two Fox T2 models and the option to remedy this depends on which one you have. As you can probably tell, I'm a complete novice to this and not very tech savvy. I don't even know what a 'powerline' is, or would a hub/splitter be sufficient to do the job instead? I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me on this. Thanks in advance. Janice.

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 22:26:01 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Hello Janice and welcome to our Forum

I think you may have misunderstood my comments relating to the 2 units, whilst I have them connected to my network in different ways there is nothing to stop you using a usb hub on the HDR......however before going any further ~

You do realise there are 2 usb ports on the HDR, one on the rear, and one on the front?

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 22:33:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

90_over_palp

Barry - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Hello Janice and welcome to our Forum
    I think you may have misunderstood my comments relating to the 2 units, whilst I have them connected to my network in different ways there is nothing to stop you using a usb hub on the HDR......however before going any further ~
    You do realise there are 2 usb ports on the HDR, one on the rear, and one on the front?

Hi Barry.

Oh Wow. I wasn't expecting such a rapid response, thank you so much for your fast reply. And whoops, how stupid do I feel now I didn't even realise there was a 2nd usb slot at the front of the machine aswell. I've just checked it now and I could just about make it out on the bottom right edge. With the thin flap being quite flush with the rest of the machine it wasn't very discernable, sorry. I do apologise for wasting your time on that score and being so unobservant. That will teach me to just scan the diagram on the user manual I guess. I suppose my original plan still stands on this regard though, as I would much prefer to have the HDD lead tidy/hidden from sight and not have to keep unplugging it as I was hoping for a more permanent arrangement.

Are you saying a regular usb hub would be sufficient to power the wifi dongle and an external hard drive simultaneously? If so, that would be ideal for my requirements. Any specific recommendations on which one is best? Thanks again Barry. I really appreciate your help on this.

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 23:08:56 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Janice - No need to apologise if you did not know it was there it is easy to miss.

I agree with you that using just the rear usb post is the tidier solution.

You can use either type of usb hub, powered or unpowered, but I would plump for powered if the external HDD you are using does not have its own power supply. Difficult to recommend one as there are so many available, but no need to spend a fortune.

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 23:59:22 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

90_over_palp

That's great. The 2TB external HDD I'm using does indeed have it's own power supply, so I'll try an unpowered usb hub for now and see how it goes. Thanks again for all your assistance Barry. Really appreciate it

| Thu 16 Feb 2012 14:14:57 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gilgen

Hi
    I hope you don't mind me asking this question on this thread. I have managed to connect the T2 hdr to the internet using a powerline. Also I can access my PC using servio and transfer files using FTP.
    Now I would like to be able to access the web browser from the PC on the Humax. The idea being to play online films on PC and view them on the T2.
    I have managed to view downloaded films from the PC to the T2

Or is this wishful thinking?

| Thu 16 Feb 2012 21:20:50 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.