My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HD1800T - Can't Understand Layout of Media File

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

LizMac42

After the simplicity of 9300T I find the HD1800 Media/Video File crowded and confusing:

What is the reason for the 'Upper Folder' which appears sometimes but not always?

Why, when you have deleted a recording, does it still show up in the list - is there a way to get rid of these icons?

Why do the recordings not show up in any recognizable order eg. deleted recording mixed up with those not watched?

I find it all very confusing to use.

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 11:16:15 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

When a recording is made as part of a series the HDR will create a folder and place all the recordings for that series into that folder.
    When a one off recording is made then a folder will not be created and it will go straight onto the media list at the top level i.e. not in any folder.
    If you have used microsoft windows then it is comparable with that with folders and files.

When you delete all the recordings for a series you will be left with the folder. The folder can also be deleted. To delete a folder:
    1/ Navigate to the folder, BUT DO NOT OPEN IT.
    2/ Press OPT+ on the remote. This will reveal a pop-up menu with 'Delete' highlighted.
    3/ Press OK.

If you want to delete all the recordings for a series you can just delete the folder and it will get rid of not only the folder but all its contents as well.

When the words "Upper folder" appears it is an option that you can select to return to the level above where you are now. If you are viewing the contents of an empty folder you will just see the option. Whether you are viewing the contents of a folder that has recordings, or the contents of a folder that now has no recordings, pressing the back button it will have the same effect as selecting the "Upper folder" option.

If you are at the top level of the media files and folders then there will not be an "Upper folder" to return to and so the option is not displayed above the real folders and recordings that are listed.

By default folders are listed in alphabetical sequence regardless of whether any of then are empty.

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 13:06:39 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Upper folder is the folder created to contain all episodes when you elect to record all episodes in a series. The series folder is not deleted when you delete the last episode in the folder. If you go up a level you can delete the folder (you can also delete the folder and all it's contents).

A bit confused about your other query, when you delete a recording it should not appear in the media list.

Suspect you are referring to a recording reservation rather than the actual recordings.

Series recordings remain in the schedule for 13 weeks after the last recording made from that series and then auto delete. You can delete them manually if you wish.

I have a HDR-FOX-T2 but your box has a very similar GUI.

On HDR-FOX-T2 by default when you press media you get Series folders top of the list followed by one off recordings. Press opt+ gives you a sort option which cycles through alphabetic, by channel, and by time.

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 13:18:29 #3 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Luke - 10 minutes ago  » 
    When the words "Upper folder" appears it is an option that you can select to return to the level above where you are now.

Could it be that 'Upper folder' was a mistranslation of 'Up a folder'.

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 13:19:57 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Biggles - 1 minute ago  » 

Luke - 10 minutes ago  » 
    When the words "Upper folder" appears it is an option that you can select to return to the level above where you are now.

Could it be that 'Upper folder' was a mistranslation of 'Up a folder'.

That would have been far better. There have been some who have understood the concept of folders and recordings but have still initially thought that the 'Upper folder' option was a folder and so couldn't work out what it was for. What makes it worse is the folder like icn by the side of the option even though the icon is overlaid with an arrow to try to communicate that your going back up if you select the option.

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 13:28:10 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

LizMac42

Thank you so much for these replies - I do understand a bit better now. It would have been better if the 'Upper Folder' had been named 'Series Folder' - I would have understood that.

Graham - when you have deleted a recorded programme the title of the programme remains in the list with an empty blue folder icon at the side of it. You can tell from this empty folder that it is a deleted one but I cannot see the reason to clutter up the list with deleted titles - weird!!

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 14:16:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

LizMac42

Have just had instructions from Humax Helpline how to delete these empty folders. After deleting the programme the folder goes empty - you then have to click on the OPt+ button to get the menu to delete - you click on delete and then click on Yes. What an arduous process to delete a single programme - can't believe it - wish you could still get the 9300T!!

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 14:58:10 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

LizMac42 - 33 minutes ago  » 
    Have just had instructions from Humax Helpline how to delete these empty folders. After deleting the programme the folder goes empty - you then have to click on the OPt+ button to get the menu to delete - you click on delete and then click on Yes. What an arduous process to delete a single programme - can't believe it - wish you could still get the 9300T!!

It's not arduous at all once you understand the procedure - it's actually quite logical.

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 15:32:45 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

LizMac42 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thank you so much for these replies - I do understand a bit better now. It would have been better if the 'Upper Folder' had been named 'Series Folder' - I would have understood that.
    Graham - when you have deleted a recorded programme the title of the programme remains in the list with an empty blue folder icon at the side of it. You can tell from this empty folder that it is a deleted one but I cannot see the reason to clutter up the list with deleted titles - weird!!

The folder stays there because if more episodes are recorded that's where they go. If you delete it and there is more episodes it will get re-created. Some series have hundreds of episodes, without them being stored neatly in folders the media list gets into a long mess. Your PC works in the same way, you should organise your data files into folders so all similar appear in a folder.

Unlike most pvrs you can create your own folders to organise your recordings as you want. You might for instance move all films into a movie folder.

It's the same as a office where you organise files into drawers and then internal seperators. The drawer is a folder and the seperators are sub folders within it.

Simple example I make movies. To Organise, I create a movie folder, then within it I create subfolders to organise all the resources required. eg Video from Camcorder, Photos, music etc.

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 16:40:35 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 13 seconds ago  » 

LizMac42 - 2 hours ago  » 

The folder stays there because if more episodes are recorded that's where they go. If you delete it and there is more episodes it will get re-created. Some series have hundreds of episodes, without them being stored neatly in folders the media list gets into a long mess. Your PC works in the same way, you should organise your data files into folders so all similar appear in a folder.
    Unlike most pvrs you can create your own folders to organise your recordings as you want. You might for instance move all films into a movie folder.

Posted in error

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 16:44:13 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.