My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDD Failure?? (& Replacement)

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

colgard

Hi, a Newbie here. Bought HDR-1000S in April 2013...all fine since...till last week when, at 86% full, current recording threw up the warning "Recording cannot be completed as hard drive is full."!! Deleted about 15hrs of unwatched progs (with much pain!) to create space...in middle of doing this, all recordings suddenly disappeared...yet still 86% used space. Shut down, rebooted etc. etc....no progress...left it till next day by which time no recordings listed plus 0% space used!!
    Assume Seagate hdd failure, much to my annoyance (to say the least!) as it's just a few months out of warranty (of course!).

Any foreseeable probs replacing hdd with WD AV-GP Enterprise [WD20EURX] (EURS version no longer seems to be available)from Amazon??

Is it just a case of disconnecting the Seagate & fitting the WD in its place, start up & format???

Any help would be greatly appreciated as Humax have not responded to my requests.

Many thanks in advance.

| Tue 28 Jul 2015 14:58:20 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome to our forum. Other than fitting a jumper to pins 5 and 6 to reduce the write speed of the faster drives and pointing out the case screws are under the stick on feet it's a very simple operation (At least up to 2TB).

The EURX drives are Sata6 models.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701250.pdf

http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfAV_GP

| Tue 28 Jul 2015 15:10:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

colgard

Thank you very much for your swift response, Graham.

Coincidentally, Humax have just got back to me but can only suggest a reformat which hasn't worked unfortunately.

So I definitely DO need a jumper on pins 5 & 6 then?? Beyond that, all should be ok??

Thanks again, Graham.

| Tue 28 Jul 2015 15:18:29 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

colgard - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you very much for your swift response, Graham.
    Coincidentally, Humax have just got back to me but can only suggest a reformat which hasn't worked unfortunately.
    So I definitely DO need a jumper on pins 5 & 6 then?? Beyond that, all should be ok??
    Thanks again, Graham.

I can't say for definite as the 2TB drives Repassac and I used are the original sata2 models so don't need jumpers.

| Tue 28 Jul 2015 15:24:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

colgard

From what I understand from the WD Product Install Sheet you linked, putting a jumper on 5 & 6 makes the EURX PHY enabled & activates 3.0Gb/s data transfer speed...which I presume is the speed of yours & Repassac's older EURS version??

Still don't get why jumpers needed at all as the 4 pins on the Seagate are not connected to any cable anyway - the caddy partially covers the pins!! (Forgive any stupidity exhibited there!!)

| Tue 28 Jul 2015 15:38:59 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The jumpers are a part of an electrical circuit on the hard-disk control board. The jumper makes the connection.

Usually you will find a few on every PC motherboard, sometimes sitting on just one pin, doing nothing.

A PC repair shop will have tons of them, choose a small place and they may give you one or charge a few pence.

| Tue 28 Jul 2015 15:52:22 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

colgard - 35 minutes ago  » 
    From what I understand from the WD Product Install Sheet you linked, putting a jumper on 5 & 6 makes the EURX PHY enabled & activates 3.0Gb/s data transfer speed...which I presume is the speed of yours & Repassac's older EURS version??
    Still don't get why jumpers needed at all as the 4 pins on the Seagate are not connected to any cable anyway - the caddy partially covers the pins!! (Forgive any stupidity exhibited there!!)

The drives we used were the WD20EURS (Sata 2 speed) no longer listed. The WD30EURS (sata 3) does appear to need the jumpers. As the jumper on the sata6 model reduces to sata3, not 100% certain it will work.

| Tue 28 Jul 2015 16:18:00 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

colgard

Right...I see (a bit!!). That explains why something that appears to be doing nothing is in fact of use!!

Look, Graham...thanks again for being so very helpful. After several days reading so much on the net about this issue, my head was bursting with too much info...you have made it clear & simple..for which I am grateful indeed!

Intend to buy a WD20EURX & add the jumper & hope & pray it all works in the end!! Will post in due course & let you know & for the benefit of others who may well end up in the same quandary over the new WD AV hdds.

Regards

| Tue 28 Jul 2015 16:20:28 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

colgard

Oops...just realised the post about the jumpers was from Repassac...many thanks to you also for your advice & info.

| Tue 28 Jul 2015 16:23:19 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

navi

Isn't SATA III backwards compatible with SATA II? I know I have used SATA III disks on SATA II motherboards without jumpers with no issue.

| Tue 28 Jul 2015 16:42:38 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.