My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDD has disappeared

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bill_OR

My Humax HDR 1000S is nearly 3 years old and has started playing up.

Recently the hard disk started ‘disappearing’ occasionally and then appeared to fail completely. I replaced the HDD with a new one (WESTERN DIGITAL WD AV-GP WD10EURX-63C57Y0) and all appeared to be well. Programmes were recording fine and live pause was working.

However, after 48 hours the HDD has ‘disappeared’ again. I have tried the power off for 10 mins routine but the HDD has not reappeared.

Is there anything else I can try before I consign the box to the bin?

The box is running the software version released in late July.

| Thu 20 Aug 2015 8:41:46 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bill_OR

There's been no sign of the hard disk all day. I've tried the power off process again, I've done a factory reset, powered it off again, left it on standby, given up and walked away ... and suddenly, a few hours later the disk is showing up again!
    I do not know what to do. Is it fixed? Is it going to fail again?
    Do I replace it?

... confused ...

| Thu 20 Aug 2015 17:46:56 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Bill_OR - 22 minutes ago  » 
    There's been no sign of the hard disk all day. I've tried the power off process again, I've done a factory reset, powered it off again, left it on standby, given up and walked away ... and suddenly, a few hours later the disk is showing up again!
    I do not know what to do. Is it fixed? Is it going to fail again?
    Do I replace it?
    ... confused ...

Advice as usual is mainly influenced by personal experience - In my case I lost recordings on two occasions, quite some time ago. In each case one or two standby cycles restored it. I never looked at the Storage menu, or tried to set recordings. In my case the message said I had no recordings. My unproved theory is that looking before the list is built by a worker thread causes this.
    Others have reported messages like the need to connect a Hard disk.
    These appear to be different problems but may be unconnected.

The occurrence of these problems seems to be increasing, some speculate that this was cause by a batch of defective components but industry quality standards are so high this seems unlikely to me.

My sole advice is avoid looking at recordings or settings until a few mins after boot.

| Thu 20 Aug 2015 18:19:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bill_OR

Thanks REPASSACm - I'll treat it gently for a couple of days and see what happens. I'm usually a technophile but today it's wavering!

| Thu 20 Aug 2015 18:32:03 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bill_OR

Update: It's been working fine for the past few days and then last night the hard disk has disappeared again! There's no point having an unreliable box so it's time to consign it to the bin and buy a new one

| Thu 27 Aug 2015 7:18:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Commiserations Bill it does sound like it has had it, luckily my box has only lost its recordings temporarily and a reboot fixes it, but it is a pain and rather worrying when it happens. I really don't want to be seeing hard drive needs formatting messages or no internal hard drive detected next time.

The basic "you don't have any recordings yet" fault might well be caused by users rudely asking the box to display the list too soon after it has woken up and before it had had a sip of coffee, but it is a HDR, surely it should be able to displaying a recordings list in its sleep ! (Not literally obviously)

Surely these boxes should be getting on with more important things at start up, maybe populating our recording lists should get priority over other things like annoying pop up home screens with useless 3 channel TV guides ?

| Thu 27 Aug 2015 14:24:08 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.