My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

HDD not recognised

(3 posts)
  1. Pedro55

Pedro55

Until today this has been working with an external WD 500GB HDD in an enclosure with USB interface. Today the Humax reports no recordings available, further investigation shows it is not seeing the HDD, So powered down everything, remade all connections. Powered up the Humax, allowed it to full boot up, checked all system settings then powered up the Ext HDD. Humax reports seeing an attached USB drive " Do you want to use this device as PVR" Yes or NO Yes takes you to the format HDD option, which obviously I don't want to do, NO takes you out of the menu. Hmmm. So we repeat the process but this time do a factory reset on HUMAX, sadly the HDD is still not recognised . Anyone else had this experience and found a successful solution?

| Wed 30 Nov 2016 15:27:31 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Pedro55,
    there's no easy answer to this. The drive may be on its way out or simply be corrupted. Corruption can occur if the power is pulled before the drive has shut down properly.

Ideally you'll have a laptop/pc with linux or one where you can run a linux live CD or USB stick (I prefer usb stick method). Boot up into linux, attach the drive and use something like 'gparted' to access the drive. gparted and smartctl should give you access to the drive's statistics; however sometimes the usb enclosure interface hinders direct access to the disk. The 'smart' stats if available will give an indication of the health of the drive.

I guess the easiest option, after you've overcome booting with a linux live, would be to attempt a data rescue with gparted. Be very aware that linux will assume you know what you're doing so double check you are working with the 500GB usb device.

google linux live, smart harddrive, fsck, gparted, fdisk
    if you've not done anything like this before then it's a good time to start, although it's a very steep learning curve. Alternatively if you don't mind losing your recordings let the hb1000s format it. If the drive makes a loud clicking/clattering sound more so than normal then it's dead or almost dead. You may have a 2/3/5 year warranty on it, in which case follow the WD instructions for testing/returning.

If all this is too much and you want to simply re-format it, it would be worthwhile downloading mini-tool partition wizard for windows and also the trial version of HD Tune first to check the drive.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 0:22:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

chuckie851

Hi Pedro55

I had the same problem with my WD 250GB HDD. I think the USB cable had been damaged, as it's now working properly with a different cable.

Of course, if the drive is corrupted, you'll need to follow Damian's instructions.

| Mon 5 Dec 2016 0:25:35 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.