My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

HDMI CEC compatibility

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

skinj

Evening.
    Does anyone here know if Humax have any intention of making their boxes either compatible with CEC specifications or start designing their boxes to not foul up other otherwise fully working CEC HDMI setups?
    Gave up stocking Humax a while ago because of software problems then tried again only to fall foul of CEC a couple of years ago. Now we try again and have another issue with CEC and Humax.

| Mon 10 Aug 2015 18:56:56 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Connect the box by a adaptor with pin 13 disabled. Humax aren't the only maker that causes problems with CEC. The system causes more problems for many mainly due to the power control system insisting on turning off the peripheral whether you want it to or not.

| Mon 10 Aug 2015 19:01:45 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

skinj

I know we can disable it, I cut the cable 2-3yrs ago to get around the problem and reported to Humax. We get NO problems with other brands at all. If they don't support CEC they don't support it. They also don't foul up equipment that does. How can Humax be HDMI compliant when being the cause of these problems?

| Mon 10 Aug 2015 19:28:47 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

skinj - 13 minutes ago  » 
    I know we can disable it, I cut the cable 2-3yrs ago to get around the problem and reported to Humax. We get NO problems with other brands at all. If they don't support CEC they don't support it. They also don't foul up equipment that does. How can Humax be HDMI compliant when being the cause of these problems?

My daughter has a Panasonic TV and a Onkyo home cinema system. If she wants to listen to the radio from a freeview-pvr she turns on the TV to find the right station and then turns off the TV. Guess what it turns off the AV receiver. Only way to stop this happening is disable CEC on the TV.

Frankly it's an appallingly badly thought out system. Some later kit like my Panasonic TV have finally to some extent tried to rectify some of the glaring omissions (You can disable CEC power control options). All this to select a HDMI port automatically

My TV normally sits on the same HDMI input 24/7 anyway as pretty well all the kit is routed by a Yamaha AV receiver to a single port on the TV.

| Mon 10 Aug 2015 19:48:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

skinj

The CEC system is not appallingly thought out, it works very well for what it was designed to do. TV & video systems are, funnily enough based around a visual display, the assumption when a system is in use is that the display has to be turned on to be in use. switch the TV off and it signals everything else to switch off too.
    Using CEC I can quite easily switch a Panasonic TV off and leave the soundbar/amplifier turned on underneath, as long as the amplifier is not in ARC mode or expecting to receive the audio signal from the TV. In your daughters case she should have the amp switched to a different input source direct from the sat box rather than TV/ARC. Also The TV should be switched into TV sound mode instead of Home-Cinema sound mode. If it's in Home Cinema Mode, that's a reason why it will signal the amp to power down.

| Tue 11 Aug 2015 9:52:28 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

skinj - 13 minutes ago  » 
    The CEC system is not appallingly thought out, it works very well for what it was designed to do. TV & video systems are, funnily enough based around a visual display, the assumption when a system is in use is that the display has to be turned on to be in use. switch the TV off and it signals everything else to switch off too.
    Using CEC I can quite easily switch a Panasonic TV off and leave the soundbar/amplifier turned on underneath, as long as the amplifier is not in ARC mode or expecting to receive the audio signal from the TV. In your daughters case she should have the amp switched to a different input source direct from the sat box rather than TV/ARC. Also The TV should be switched into TV sound mode instead of Home-Cinema sound mode. If it's in Home Cinema Mode, that's a reason why it will signal the amp to power down.

At a loss here, it's not a sat box it's a freeview+ pvr. AV receiver has pvr selected, how else could you hear it ? Output of AV receiver goes to TV which has to have the AV receiver input selected to see anything. The TV is not being used for audio, that's the whole point of having a separate AV setup. You just need it to find something to listen to. After that it's not needed, if you have cec enabled on the TV it turns off the AV receiver.

You clearly didn't understand a word of my posting. It's a flawed system. Even before I had a freetime box I turned off CEC on my TV as it was a pain in the neck with my previous Sony 1050 AV receiver and my current Yamaha Aventage. I never use the TV speakers, like all thin TV's the sound is dire.

It's a proper home cinema setup with Two Twin tuner Freeview+ pvrs and two Freesat+ pvrs a bluray player and a Android Streamer box all connected via single hdmi to the TV.

It's also used to connect a smart phone and several tablets to the TV.

When I use the TV apps like Amazon Prime streaming the audio is delivered to the system and a pair of wireless surround sound phones via a dual channel optical matrix switch. The other kit is also connected to same matrix switch so the headphones can be independently used on any of the connected sources.

| Tue 11 Aug 2015 10:15:42 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

skinj

Now I understand your system. However without the extra detail my assumption that could have resolved your issue stands. I have done it here, this morning and everything works as it should.
    The CEC system, clearly is not designed for the advanced user that you are. Running 4 PVRs & 2 other items is exactly why CEC can be switched off if required but I do wonder why, an audio device like the AV receiver you have, that is designed for all the routing etc.. doesn't have it's own option to disable CEC, That would make far more sense than outright blaming a TV for doing what it's supposed to do. The newer sets now do accommodate your issue and the power off signal can be disabled (which I didn't need to do anyway to get the system here working) if needed.
    The CEC system is great for the normal user however that can now use one remote to control the SoundBar volume, the Blu-Ray player, the PVR & the TV all from one remote.
    Regardless, Humax boxes should not be the cause of the problem when connected to a fully working, understood and set-up correctly CEC enabled system & I'm amazed that they are allowed to use the HDMI logo on their boxes while they still cause problems.

| Tue 11 Aug 2015 10:57:17 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

skinj - 1 minute ago  » 
    Now I understand your system. However without the extra detail my assumption that could have resolved your issue stands. I have done it here, this morning and everything works as it should.
    The CEC system, clearly is not designed for the advanced user that you are. Running 4 PVRs & 2 other items is exactly why CEC can be switched off if required but I do wonder why, an audio device like the AV receiver you have, that is designed for all the routing etc.. doesn't have it's own option to disable CEC, That would make far more sense than outright blaming a TV for doing what it's supposed to do. The newer sets now do accommodate your issue and the power off signal can be disabled (which I didn't need to do anyway to get the system here working) if needed.
    The CEC system is great for the normal user however that can now use one remote to control the SoundBar volume, the Blu-Ray player, the PVR & the TV all from one remote.
    Regardless, Humax boxes should not be the cause of the problem when connected to a fully working, understood and set-up correctly CEC enabled system & I'm amazed that they are allowed to use the HDMI logo on their boxes while they still cause problems.

Of course you can disable CEC on AV receivers but not in my experience on a per input basis. As the only issue is interaction with the single display it's far easier just to turn it off on the TV.

The HDMI spec and logo precedes CEC by at least 2 years.

HDMI 1.0 dates from about 2003, CEC was introduced in HDMI1.2A in December 2005.

It didn't appear on kit for quite a while.

There is no compulsion to have cec on any kit. I am not even sure if the latest Freeview+ pvrs have CEC. It certainly isn't implemented on my HDR FOX T2's

| Tue 11 Aug 2015 11:07:15 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

skinj

I know there is no compulsion to have CEC on anything & agree that it's easier just to switch off the TV CEC.
    HDMI CEC has been around since 2005 & in that 10 years Humax have failed to remove whatever the internal connections/processing that interferes with part of the HDMI specification that is now almost a default inclusion in modern equipment.

| Tue 11 Aug 2015 11:37:32 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

skinj - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I know there is no compulsion to have CEC on anything & agree that it's easier just to switch off the TV CEC.
    HDMI CEC has been around since 2005 & in that 10 years Humax have failed to remove whatever the internal connections/processing that interferes with part of the HDMI specification that is now almost a default inclusion in modern equipment.

The HDR1000S (the first freetime unit) did not have cec. It came later with a firmware update (I can't remember which and personally I wouldn't have bothered). At a guess the box wasn't designed from the beginning to have the right hardware to properly support it. The implementation may well be a software fix. The feature set is down to Freesat not Humax. Personally I would rather they ditched it all together. Good luck in persuading Freesat to do so

Over the years they have added some rather bizarre extras (like boot to the Home Screen which I personally find annoying).

| Tue 11 Aug 2015 11:48:04 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.