My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

HDMI CEC Issues

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

Apologies if this is elsewhere but perhaps all HDMI-CEC problems could be linked from the one post.
    There appear to be many different effects for different users with differing equipment.
    When I bought my FVP4000 I also bought a decent 1 input 2 output powered HDMI splitter so that we could watch in either the main room or Kitchen/Dining room. Initially there were issues due to the fact that the FVP had been connected to my main TV directly and now it was going through the AV amp, the TV kept remembering the original AV input and switching to that. After powering off everything the amp and TV in the main room and the PS4 and TV in the kitchen and then starting them all one at a time all seemed well, with excellent signals to both rooms.
    Somehow though turning the PS4 on or off in the kitchen resulted in the front room TV switching AV source, also HDMI-CEC function which had been fine on the PS4 now acted erratically. I blamed the splitter for passing all signals between all connected devices and sent it back (I still think it was partially to blame)

I now simply use a Female Female connector on the end of the HMDI from the FVP and change connection manually to the TV's HDMI I want to use.
    If the FVP4000 is connected to my main TV via the AV amp, HDMI-CEC for the TV goes erratic and the ARC signal is blocked, but the FVP4000 HDMI functions all work and I can use the TV controller for the FVP.
    If the FVP is connected to the Kitchen TV with the PS4 then the PS4 HDMI-CEC fuctions are blocked.
    So the FVP4000 is leaving the signal on; I have read there is a connector which leaves the associated pin in the HDMI lead disconnected to stop that. But then all HDMI functionality would also cease.
    If I go that route then I believe HUMAX should supply the connector due to poor design. I have signed up for the Firmware test and hope that the HDMI-CEC signal may be controlled via the software. Any thoughts if it can be resolved in the software.
    Sorry for the long post
    Both TV's are Samsung if it helps.

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 13:39:49 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I'm struggling to get my head around all these apparent CEC/HDMI issues.

I have two Humax PVRs one Blu-Ray player and an ATV connected to my TV - Panasonic. I have Viera link switched off. It doesn't make any difference what devices I power up or how I power them up, whichever input is selected at the time stays selected.

It may be the TVs own tuner or HDMI 1, 2 or 3, whatever is selected stays that way and I actually have a HDMI hub in the circuit too. I can only conclude those of you who are experiencing CEC issues look to their TVs rather than the Humax.

Yes I have to manually select an input using the TV remote buy it's not the end of the world is it?

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 14:58:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

I am very glad you are happy with your faultless setup.
    You cannot get your head around it because you are not using CEC-HDMI, you have Viera link turned off and that is why the correct Source remains selected and the order of activation does not matter. You have gone down the manual route which is your choice.
    After having full faultless HDMI_CEC functionality for 2 years I have now had to go part manual for the FVP to some extent but cannot for my main tv and amp as I do not want to (and should not have to)lose ARC functionality.
    At present I can watch Freeview, Freesat or Netflix via the Samsung app in 5.1 surround, if I connect the FVP4000 I lose that, If I turn off HDMI-CEC on the TV or Amp the ARC function does not see the reveiver.
    My PS3 was the Fat version and did not utilise the CEC function it was no issue to set it manually, but as things progress and are sold to us as features (we are paying for)and you get to take advantage of them when they are useful, it is annoying when one badly implemented system kills the rest.
    The PS4 and AV amp worked faultlessly with the TV auto switching and powering until I bought the HUMAX, the AV amp remote was almost redundant.
    The Kitchen TV worked fine with the PS4 until the Humax box was connected, the common denominator is the Humax product, it is holding power to the HDMI-CEC signal, even with the HDMI splitter unpowered I found it powered through the splitter when I had it.

Your post is your view but it does not address what I asked, just looks like you are a Humax Fan who blames all else first.
    If we all accept crap implementation and products progress will not be made. Are either of your PVR's the FVP4000?
    Using the remote is not the end of the world but I now have to physically connect the appropriate HDMI rather than have a simple to use setup for all my family, and the operation is now a step back on what we had.

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 15:35:38 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The problem is there seems no uniform, industry standard implementation across all TVs. I have 2 x Panasonic and 2 x Samsung, all with CEC OFF. On the Samsungs the TV does not respond to an HDMI source being switched ON, you have to select Source on the R/C. On the Panasonics HDMI-1 (only 1) can be set ON or OFF to respond to that source being switched on and the TV to switch to that input. Both work very well in this config as it suits my particular needs for each setup. CEC becomes particularly irritating when you boot up a new source but want to continue with the present one until the new one has completed its cycle. If the new source is a media player that has to establish connection with a NAS libary for example.

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 15:51:23 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

CEC is virtually useless when you use a AV receiver for the audio. If you want to listen to say Radio from say a Freesat box. You turn on the TV to find the radio channel you want to listen to. You then turn off the TV as you don't need and the stupid system turns off the freesat box.

A AV reciever lets you connect all your kit via a single hdmi cable, so the same input on the TV is used for everything. You only need to change this to use the TV's built in tuners (which I never use anyway).

Same thing happens if I play a CD on my Blu-ray player.

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 16:04:45 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 
    CEC is virtually useless when you use a AV receiver for the audio. If you want to listen to say Radio from say a Freesat box. You turn on the TV to find the radio channel you want to listen to. You then turn off the TV as you don't need and the stupid system turns off the freesat box.
    A AV reciever lets you connect all your kit via a single hdmi cable, so the same input on the TV is used for everything. You only need to change this to use the TV's built in tuners (which I never use anyway).
    Same thing happens if I play a CD on my Blu-ray player.

+1 a system not well thought out!

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 19:10:15 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Bitterman - 7 hours ago  » 
    I am very glad you are happy with your faultless setup.
    You cannot get your head around it because you are not using CEC-HDMI, you have Viera link turned off and that is why the correct Source remains selected and the order of activation does not matter. You have gone down the manual route which is your choice.
    After having full faultless HDMI_CEC functionality for 2 years I have now had to go part manual for the FVP to some extent but cannot for my main tv and amp as I do not want to (and should not have to)lose ARC functionality.
    At present I can watch Freeview, Freesat or Netflix via the Samsung app in 5.1 surround, if I connect the FVP4000 I lose that, If I turn off HDMI-CEC on the TV or Amp the ARC function does not see the reveiver.
    My PS3 was the Fat version and did not utilise the CEC function it was no issue to set it manually, but as things progress and are sold to us as features (we are paying for)and you get to take advantage of them when they are useful, it is annoying when one badly implemented system kills the rest.
    The PS4 and AV amp worked faultlessly with the TV auto switching and powering until I bought the HUMAX, the AV amp remote was almost redundant.
    The Kitchen TV worked fine with the PS4 until the Humax box was connected, the common denominator is the Humax product, it is holding power to the HDMI-CEC signal, even with the HDMI splitter unpowered I found it powered through the splitter when I had it.
    Your post is your view but it does not address what I asked, just looks like you are a Humax Fan who blames all else first.
    If we all accept crap implementation and products progress will not be made. Are either of your PVR's the FVP4000?
    Using the remote is not the end of the world but I now have to physically connect the appropriate HDMI rather than have a simple to use setup for all my family, and the operation is now a step back on what we had.

I think anyone who is a regular on this forum will laugh at your suggestion I am a Humax fan - I'm still laughing myself

However, long before I purchased any Humax kit I was not daft enough to use Viera Link on any of my Panasonic TVs even with other Panasonic DVDR/HDD units etc. It's just a whole world of pain.

I also steer well clear of ARC too, yet another load of grief, hence why I invested in Sonos which uses optical instead.

Research tends to be time well spent when buying any of these products. Given your great unhappiness with the 4000T my suggestion would be to return it and buy something that does suit your particular needs.

| Fri 18 Mar 2016 23:03:59 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

My initial question still stands.
    Is there a possibility that Software / Firmware update may address some of the HDMI issues. Most devices have options to at least turn off CEC communication the FVP has none.

The Humax is partially replacing a Panasonic DMR-EZ27 which functioned fine with my Denon AVR-X2000 amp and TV using Viera link . Turn it on and the TV would autmatically switch to it and off it when finished.

ARC is excellent for me, Samsung 6 series (F) TV with the Denon amp. 5.1 signal from the TV's Tuners and Netflix app. Unfortunately if other devices are connected to the TV the ARC signal to the amp is only stereo but that is Samsungs implementation failure, some Sony TV's will perform 5.1 from other sources.

I agree CEC is pointless for the audio, my CD is connected with RCA plugs and I switch to it manually. But for auto switching devices it works fine in most cases. (until I add the Humax)

I would not call the annoyance of the HDMI a great unhappiness worthy of ditching the FVP, especially when I have already described my workaround and the initial reason for the post to see if any insiders or experienced Engineers would expect any improvements to come.

I cannot see how HDMI-CEC options to turn off a TV when multiple sources are connected and in use will ever work without an intelligent processor being added; which is why when the option is available to be turned off separately I have done so.

This post went off on a tangent in an instant

| Sat 19 Mar 2016 16:11:06 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Well given other Humax kit haven't got the implementation you are seeking, I suspect you may end up being disappointed. However, that is simply my personal view.

For my setup having Viera Link switched off works well. I find it much easier to use the TV remote to manually select the HDMI inputs for the device I want to use. As said previously with the audio being fed from the TV to the Sonos using optical, audio is present on all devices.

| Sat 19 Mar 2016 22:25:03 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    Well given other Humax kit haven't got the implementation you are seeking, I suspect you may end up being disappointed.

Thanks Faust, that is the kind of feedback I was originally looking for , although I was hoping it was in the opposite direction that previous devices had some implementation.

| Mon 21 Mar 2016 12:39:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.