My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

HDMI Lockup quad screen green bars

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

voxmagna

Hi, I've had a Humax HDR Fox T2 for 3 days now and had the first catastrophic failure. The firmware supplied is version 1.02.07.

The recorder HDMI feeds a Pioneer 43" plasma with its input source selected for HDMI. To make the whole operation of using the recorder easier and to take advantage of the faster MHEG text and remote, I decided to enable the TV to its HDMI input at switch on, then bring the Humax out of standby to watch TV and record programs.

A major problem occured on Saturday when the recorder had been scheduled to record BBC 'Come Dancing'. Some 10 minutes into the recording I brought the Humax out of standby (whilst recording), there wasn't the usual 'start System' message and the HDMI output appeared to have no proper sync with the TV showing a screen split into 4 divided up with wide green bands. If I tried selecting other live programmes they all showed the same. Nervous that the recordings may also be corrupted, I cancelled the recording, but the realtime Freeview channels still showed the same HDMI corruption. I tried another HDMI enabled TV and saw the same thing, so the corruption is definitely coming from the Humax.

I tried everything from the remote to clear the problem, taking it back down to standby and up again didn't do anything. In the end I had to turn off the Humax at the mains. When it rebooted this time with the 'Start System' message, the problem was gone. I went back and restarted my recording and the HDMI problem didn't re-appear. I set up a scheduled recording for the following day, checked the box and the same thing happened again.

It appears that HDMI lockup doesn't occur if the Humax starts with its 'start system' boot message or if a recording is started on the fly, but whilst a scheduled recording is in progress, box having sat for some hours, if the humax is brought out of standby (No 'start system' message), the HDMI output gets locked up and can't be reset without a mains re-boot.

I have version 1.02.20 firmware on a stick, but am reluctant to do an upgrade on such a new unit when I can send it back under the 7 day rule. The firmware notes say HDMI improvements, but not what they are.

Has anybody else seen this problem or got it fixed with version 20 of the firmware?

Attachments

1. HDMI_lockup_small.jpg (94.5 KB, 0 downloads) 12 years old
    | Sun 11 Dec 2011 22:12:55 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

voxmagna - 1 hour ago  » 
    Has anybody else seen this problem or got it fixed with version 20 of the firmware?

There are lots of reports of people having HDMI problems fixed by 1.02.20; of course there are a few who still have problems. I would stringly recommend upgrading. I fail to see how installing the latest software would make any difference to your right to reject the box under the distance selling regulations.

| Sun 11 Dec 2011 23:59:37 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 11 hours ago  » 

voxmagna - 1 hour ago  » 

There are lots of reports of people having HDMI problems fixed by 1.02.20; of course there are a few who still have problems. I would stringly recommend upgrading. I fail to see how installing the latest software would make any difference to your right to reject the box under the distance selling regulations.

I agree, if the box was in sby and update was ota you wouldn't have any choice anyway.

| Mon 12 Dec 2011 12:00:08 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

voxmagna

OK I bit the bullet and decided the seller probably wouldn't know it was updated anyway if I returned it!

I am cautiously optimistic because I've scheduled a couple of recordings, then brought the box out of standby during the recording period and there's no HDMI mis sync lockup on the monitor TV. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, so thanks for your replies. It just goes to show that persons getting these boxes for Christmas may be getting stock without the latest firmware, which could give the product a bad name.

I've now got another issue with low volume levels (compared to 4 other consumer HDMI sources) but I've contributed my issue to another thread just started.

Thanks - Vox

| Mon 12 Dec 2011 22:58:09 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.